StearmanR985

TRI 175 down to Sabre 2 150

Hello all,

I am currently jumping a Tri 175 and I am looking for helpful "Inside Information" on what to expect, what to be careful of and any other information when my demo Sabre 2 150 arrives in a few weeks. I realize that the canopies are quite different and that this is a fairly aggressive upgrade and I want to keep it safe.
I am planning on pulling high (6-6.5K w/DZO's permission) to work with the canopy as much as possible at altitude. I will be doing my standard straight in approach and landing.

All constructive advice will be appreciated,

Jeffrey

My first canopy was a Triathlon 220 and my second canopy was a Sabre2 190. The Sabre2 will glide much better than the Triathlon, it will penetrate into the wind better and it will have a much more powerful flare. But it will also come in faster than what you are used to (in low-to-no wind situations). Let me just say that as long as you are smart and don't do anything foolish, you will likely really like that demo Sabre2 canopy. Just remember to be smooth and deliberate with your control inputs.

Be safe, have fun and don't $#@& up. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Don't just pull at 6k, go out last and do a clear and pull at altitude! Fly it around a LOT. I do atleast a few altitude clear and pulls when ever I get a new canopy that I'm trying to figure out. I think I've done 20 altitude clear and pulls with my new XF2 trying to really learn how it flies.B|

Oh, you might find the turns to be snappier, the flare will feel different (do a lot of practice flares) and it'll loose a bit more altitude in turns.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Jeff,

You might see if there is someone at Lodi jumping a Sabre2 170. If so, maybe they would let you make a few jumps on it, to see some of the changes in store. I expect that the size difference down to 150 will make quite a difference to you, as it puts you in the wing loading PD suggests for experts. I'd try to pick a day with nice winds for those first demo jumps.

Gary

Hey Jeff,

I don't want to be a "downer" but since you'll be changing planforms radicaly, why not start with a demo of the same or simalar size? Go for a Sabre 2 170.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Be prepared to adjust your landing pattern to accomodate the additional glide. I went from a Spectre 170 to a Sabre 150, and the difference is pretty substantial, especially on low/no wind days. You may find yourself coming in faster than you anticipated. Also, the flare is quite a bit different on a 9 versus 7 cell. Bear in mind I only have 48 jumps, but this is my experience.

Hey Jeff,

I don't want to be a "downer" but since you'll be changing planforms radicaly, why not start with a demo of the same or simalar size? Go for a Sabre 2 170.

Hmm, something to think about. I could demo a 170 for two weeks and if I liked it I could then order the 150. Definetly something to think about.

Thanks

Cool thing about doing it that way is that you truely get to compare apples to apples (well kinda anyway). Seeing as you're familiar with the tri 170 you'll get a better feel for how a similar sized sabre2 will fly and can better compare the differences. That'll help you make the decision on the type of canopy, then all that's left is the size.

Blue ones and stay safe,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey Jeff,

Hmm, something to think about. I could demo a 170 for two weeks and if I liked it I could then order the 150. Definetly something to think about.

Thanks

I agree with JP on this one. Jump a 170 and you'll be comparing apples to apples - jump a 150 and you'll be comparing apples to oranges.

Either way the Sabre2 is going to turn faster and will have a much flatter glide angle - and therefore feel "faster" on approach - than you are used to under your Tri. Plan for a conservative approach and landing for your first jumps on it regardless of which size you get - doubt you'll need to hang double fronts to get the speed you want like you're doing with your Tri.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks

Why don't you come out to Byron, and demo a Sabre2 170 for free! I think the 150 is just too small for you right now anyway. You can demo a pilot while you are at it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hey Gravity,

I like the idea of being able to keep the Sabre 2 for two weeks. That way I can put a dozen or so jumps on it.
However, you have a Pilot 170 available for demo? I would be very interested in demo jumping that particular canopy as well. Would that demo be free for a day? :)
Jeff

Jeff, If you like to surf you will love the saber2. I've jumped both platforms and have a saber2 190. The biggest difference is the flar, the saber2 likes a 2 stage flar. Pat works has written a nice artical that is posted here on dropzone. Have fun.

blue skies

jerry

I currently fly a Sabre 2 170 and for me the Sabre is great. I'm only loaded at 1.1 and on no wind days it comes in pretty quick. I notice on your Tri your loading in the 1.2 range. Just something to think of here.......going to a Sabre 2 170 means you will be flying a much more aggressive wing than what you have now. I'm guessing your wing load will be in the 1.3ish range. I only have 104 jumps and can tell you that the Sabre 2 is fun to fly even at 1.1 I would go with a 170 to be a little safer. You will have a great time with the Sabre and it will be safer to. I think and earlier post suggested you go with the 170. Demo it and i'm sure you will like it.