jkwon

143 Reserve 170 Main...Problem?

If your profile is up to date, I have one question for you. Do you think you can land a PD143R in a very tight area under less than ideal conditions? Your choice of main canopy is much larger than this proposed reserve, and unless the prospective skydiver has exceptionally good canopy control skills, it's usually not recommended to have a radically smaller reserve.

Also, I got to demo a PD143R a couple of weekends ago (it's the reserve I have in both of my rigs) and I will tell you that a PD143R does NOT flare at all like a similarily loaded ZP 7 and/or 9 cell canopy.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Depends on if you think you can put a 143R down safely in a worst case situation.

My main is a 170, my reserve is a 143, I'm confident that I can land that 143 in a backyard downwind and walk away if I have to. But I have several hundred jumps on all F111 7 cells in my logbook...

Great advice from both the other replies!

Ask your self als, "Why do I want a 143 Reserve?)

To save money in the long run?

To have a smaller container?

To llok cooler with out that big gaint rig on my back?

To do away with some of the extra wieght on the ground?

All bad reasons to get a smaller reserve!!!!!

Is your life not worth it to spend money for the right reserve now? Sell it used later and get a 143 after you are very current on that size main.

So what if other people have smaller containers. That doesn't make them better skydivers.

Extra weight on the ground... so what! Nobody said skydiving was going to be comfortable all the time.

Not meaning to attack you or anything. Just here those responeses (sp?) a bunch from people when you ask them those questions. Never jump a reserve smaller then what you are used to jumping as a main. Makes no sense what so ever! WHy not have as much canopy over your head as possible in the most stressful situation in your life? The one situation when you need all the help you can get!
Dom

Why would anyone have a smaller reserve than the main they feel comfortable flying?

I chose a smaller reserve than main for a few reasons.

First, that's how my gear has always been set up (well, as soon as I got rid of those round reserves anyway) - I started jumping back when square reserves were generally loaded at about 1.0 and mains were generally loaded less than that.

Second, I've got enough jumps on all F111 7 cells that I'm confident in my ability to land one loaded at 1.12 safely (note I didn't say standing up) - I've done it before. I was confident in my ability to land the 143R when I was loading it at closer to 1.2 also.

Third, when I set this rig up I was planning to downsize to a 150 main in the near future. After a bit of weight gain that downsize didn't happen - but now that I've lightened my wingloading again it may in the near future.

Fourth, I chose the 143R instead of a 160R because the container I wanted would have been a bit too long for my torso with a 160R.

All that said, I wouldn't recommend this setup to anyone who isn't confident in their ability to safely land whatever size reserve they are considering. Most new jumpers would be better off with a reserve that is the same size or just a bit bigger than their main, imho.

This is exactly why I was asking this question. I guess I can give a bit of background. I Just bought a new rig with a 150 vengeance and pd143 reserve because the price the guy was asking was too good to pass up. SO now I'm currently piecing out the gear to try to upsize the main and haven't decided on the reserve yet. I feel comfortable landing the 143 in the worst conditions but I just don't know if its smart in case of a 2 out situation. I plan on downsizing to a 150 soon just not quite yet. (50 or so jumps) and definitely not going ot downsize to an elliptical.

And please don't feel like your yelling at me...I take this all as constructive discussion on a topic i have less experience in.

--joe
--joe
HISPA #69
The Best Band in the WORLD!!!
The new full length album "See What You Can Find"

Most people tend to go the other way, a smaller main and a bigger reserve.

Seems to me most rigs out there are made for smaller reserves and bigger mains. look at sizing charts. very very rarely will you see a larger reserve with a smaller main. Typicly it is same sized main and reserve. My rig is one that is made for a large reserve(218-M) and much smaller main(Xfire 2 149) I like the feeling of being able to upsize in an emergency....and upsize considerably.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

feel comfortable landing the 143 in the worst conditions but I just don't know if its smart in case of a 2 out situation.

Hook n swoop did do some test jumps with very small canopies and much larger reserves and also found that they do get along well also...
Do a search I know the info is out there on these types of combo's.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Thanks skymedic. I guess I'm going to trust the opinion of the people who jump with me regularly and see what they say about getting rid of my reserve or keeping it. I think I'll be fine...but that may be clouded judgement on my behalf.

The guy at my DZ that kinda mentored me through my student jumps thinks I'll be fine off with the 143, so I'll go with that for now. My rigger also thinks it shouldn't be a problem.
--joe
HISPA #69

I feel comfortable landing the 143 in the worst conditions.

What is your wing loading on a PD143R?

It may be a lot less than mine which obviously will effect how the canopy flies and flares. But having recently flown a PD143R demo, I do have an idea as to how it flies and flares and having a lax "I feel comfortable landing the 143 in the worst conditions" attitude with 52 (or whatever you have) jumps could be a mistake. I had no trouble with the accuracy aspects of controlling this canopy (I have been practicing my landings towards getting a PRO rating), but it comes down pretty fast and pretty vertical (at least with my wing loading of about 1.45:1).

Of course you should always listen to the people who know you and see you jump week after week before you listen to anything anyone says on the internet. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The best way to answer the question of if a 143 Reserve is too small is to demo one. For a minimal charge I believe $25 plus shipping or something like that PD will gladly ship you out a PD 143 Reserve that you can demo as a main.

Lisa, I understand your reasons for a smaller reserve than main. I kind of was speaking more generally, in the fact that I think most people would want the biggest reserve they can get in the rig (keeping in mind that some do not want to have too big of size difference from main to reserve).
Kirk

You're right. I could totally be taking a lax position on the whole thing. I'm generally a conservative when it comes to downsizing. I'm actually getting rid of the 150 that came with this rig because of that fact (it was elliptical). And, you guys' opinions here mean a lot to me. I don't just take it at face value I really do take into consideration what everyone on these forums has to say.

Thanks for your input everybody.
joe
--joe
HISPA #69

Seems to me most rigs out there are made for smaller reserves and bigger mains. look at sizing charts.

That is one of the reasons I like the Inifinty so much. They have so many different combinations of main and reserve trays. You won't have a hard time getting a match of a bigger reserve and smaller main.
Dom