Calvin19

i -HATE- the pin toggles from Vertigo

Dont get me wrong, I love Vertigo Shit, i swear by the Warlock. but those metal straight pin toggles/risers are horrible. i got 2 fired brakes, one slider off. i should switch those out. like, now. i should get free risers for that. hmmm... i have 15min of rigging to do. bye...

i got 2 fired brakes, one slider off.

The very first time I ever jump Vertigo pin toggles, I had a premature brake fire on a slider off jump. But I was an idiot. I was unfamilar with their gear and I set my brakes wrong. Instead of "line-ring-toggle", I set it as "ring-line-toggle". Fortunately my brake fired on a jump in Twin and I immediately threw the other control line down and proceeded to land on the beach on rears (I'm also fortunate that I have plenty of experience landing canopies using rear risers). It might not have had such a pleasant ending had I been jumping in the urban jungle and/or a nasty boulder field in Moab.

So are you setting yours correct? Once again I was the idiot who set his brakes wrong on that jump, but I am going to be very concerned about jumping my Vertigo rig if these brakes can fire even when set properly. So far all indiciations that I've had with my Vertigo rig was that as long as the brakes are set properly, it works the way it should. But most of my BASE jumps are on my Basic Research rig and I only have about 10 jumps on the Vertigo rig.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I dunno dude.
I got Vertigo WLO risers when I got my first rig, as you needed them to use the Vertigo WLO toggles and I heard they were the hot set-up for slider up.
So I got some SYKO toggles for slider off.
I did 111 jumps on that rig, mostly slider off, so mostly with the SYKO pin toggles.
I never had a brake fire.
I think it makes a huge difference how well you set it up, pack it and look after it.
I have since switched to non-snap risers to use cloth-stub toggles slider off.
I still have Vertigo WLO risers and toggles for slider up.
I also have some of the new Apex WLO toggles to use slider up with my normal risers. I still need to try these version 2s, I had version 1s and did some intentional releases with them and was quite happy.
cya

mine are NOT 'WLO' toggles. they are regular risers, but the toggle has a metal straight pin in them to hold the little loop. and i am sure i am setting them correctly. I thought i might have been doing it wrong for the first fire, but now i am sure it is correct after i checked with marta, and the colorado crew.

plus, who the hell decided to put MORE metal on a perfect riser set up? the tap stow on ALL other risers os perfect, 'failproof'. whats the point of adding a pin.

Morpheus risers now on dagger and warlock.B|

Maybe you need to learn how to set the brakes.
I have 3 rigs with that "shit" and I love it , hundreds of jumps on it, cero fired brakes.
Is not Rocket cience.....

;)

Maybe you need to learn how to set the brakes.
]

i never did take an FJC.

look at a set of the apex wlo v2.. cloth stub, plenty long, and pretty swanky engineering... i use them on asylum risers and are (am?) fairly pleased with them.,.

then come to your own conclusions.

?
Never had a problem with mine, and have had some crazy hard openings slider off with ye ol raven.
Maybe you got a bunk set, or something funky is going on with your stowage.

I've had similar issues, and seen many cases of premature toggle fires on pin toggles. I'm personally just not willing to use them. They're just so easy to switch out. Even if it's 1 in 1000, what if you're the 1000th one, and you happen to be right next to a cliff when the toggle fires?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My Toggle blow jump was a Double Black Diamond Base jump. underhung cliff, 600', landing area literaly the size of a parking spot, but thinner, rocks all around. trees to small to catch a jumper, but, that day the water in the lake was unusualy high, and i could barely make it there with no brakes. hit the ground in 6' of water. hard.

that was my one in 1000. well, one in 230:P

Dont get me wrong, I love Vertigo Shit, i swear by the Warlock. but those metal straight pin toggles/risers are horrible.

Hmm... "it depends" (c) ;)

I LOVE pin WLO toggles, they are by far the best and fastest slider-up release setup. When set up correctly there is no way in hell they would release prematurely. I haven't had any issues with pin toggles in 1k+ jumps. The new Apex WLO toggles are ok, but not as good or fast in releasing the line.

On other hand, i would rather use regular (fabric) toggles on slider-down jumps. Of course slider-downs suck donkey schlong anyway :P Go fly a wingsuit!!!

bsbd!

Yuri.

Dont get me wrong, I love Vertigo Shit, i swear by the Warlock. but those metal straight pin toggles/risers are horrible.

Hmm... "it depends" (c) ;)

I LOVE pin WLO toggles, they are by far the best and fastest slider-up release setup. When set up correctly there is no way in hell they would release prematurely. I haven't had any issues with pin toggles in 1k+ jumps. The new Apex WLO toggles are ok, but not as good or fast in releasing the line.

On other hand, i would rather use regular (fabric) toggles on slider-down jumps. Of course slider-downs suck donkey schlong anyway :P Go fly a wingsuit!!!

bsbd!

Yuri.

I agree with that. I have no problem with pin togles slider up.
but I will always use fabric toggles from now on.