JerseyShawn

Wind gusts limits....

Whats the limit you deem safe between a steady wind and the gusts for newer jumpers?

For instance tomorrow its 7mph winds with 14mph gusts. 7mph difference. If the two numbers are closer, within 3-4 Ill head up to the DZ. 7mph enough to collapse a canopy?

Whats your personal limits too?

>10 mph spread I'll usually sit down.
I'll jump up to 30mph.
I'll do dedicated swoop training in up to 20, if only to practice difficult setups.

Also, if everyone with more experience is laughing at you while you are walking to the plane as they crack open beers....it's probably too windy.

I think that for any of us, it's a sliding scale. The stronger the wind, the less difference between steady wind and gusts we're willing to risk. That said, up to a point, the more experience you have, the higher that gets for most people. I'm just a fun jumper, but I'd guess that a 7 mph spread with the top end at 14 would not be considered a problem at most dz's landing areas even for students.

Edit to add: ... not sure about your jump #'s. If still a student, your instructors aren't likely to let you jump in something they don't think you're ready to handle. If you're no longer technically a student, but in doubt ... you can still check with your instructors, since they probably have a pretty good feel for how you are progressing.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I'd worry less about 7 to 14 than I would about 17 to 24 (for example). If the winds are already high(er) and you add gusts on top of it, I'd probably sit down. Then again I'm often one of the first to sit down. Mostly I keep an eye on what it's doing and when in doubt, I watch a load or two.

Bear in mind the predictions are just that; the better measure will be the anemometer at the DZ and the consistency (or lack thereof) of its readings. One thing I've always appreciated about Skydance is that they monitor the winds consistently and strictly enforce the pre-established wind hold threshholds.

If you've got any doubts about the gustiness, talk to one of the instructors, maybe ask them to watch a load with you to see if canopies are generally behaving (meaning there's less likely to be turbulence) or misbehaving (meaning the gusts are adding turbulence). Also, the direction of the wind matters, too. If it's coming out of the north over the trees, it'll create more chaos in the air.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Consistant winds 20-25 knotts, no probs,

Above 25 knotts, no way.

Gusts above about 8 knotts, no way.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

u also want to consider what your landing area is like. if it is huge wide open grass area, maybe ok. if it is filled with trees and obstructions with a changing direction, maybe not.. turbulence off of objects from wind can be nasty and keep it in mind. better to sit out one day jumping than 3 months in a wheel chair/ crutches/ boot :D

dont let life pass you by

Hey,
if you are not shure, why don't think as a student?
----> Ask your SIM!
http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section2/tabid/164/Default.aspx#21f

f. wi n dS
Maximum ground winds
1. For all solo students
a. 14 mph for ram-air canopies
b. 10 mph for round reserves
2. For licensed skydivers are unlimited

For me it is easy - I do check the parameter each jump so I know "my personal max. wind in the given environmet" but that was a proccess to get a feeling and the knowledge.
As mentioned above, it depends on
general weather
gust strength
landing area
upwind obstacle

stay safe,
Holger

I just want to throw something out. Aviation worldwide with the exception of China and a couple of other places have standardized on using Knots. When talking about wind we should only use the international aviation standard of Knots.

If asking someone on the ground what the wind is and they reply "10 out of the north". We should not have to question what is it that they mean.

10 knots, 10 miles per hour, 10 meters per second????????

If you've got any doubts about the gustiness, talk to one of the instructors, maybe ask them to watch a load with you to see if canopies are generally behaving (meaning there's less likely to be turbulence) or misbehaving (meaning the gusts are adding turbulence)

To add to this - please feel free to ask any of the instructors to watch loads land with you anytime they aren't working/jumping, regardless of the wind conditions. I'm not a current I, but if I'm out there I'd be happy to stand in the landing area and talk about what's going on with you.

Something else to consider - go to the dz even if the weather report says the winds are going to be a bit more than you want to deal with right now. At this point in your career, you can learn as much or more about skydiving on the ground as you can in the air. A day spent talking about skydiving with other skydivers and watching other jumpers land is soooo valuable even if you don't get on the airplane all day.

... Something else to consider - go to the dz even if the weather report says the winds are going to be a bit more than you want to deal with right now. At this point in your career, you can learn as much or more about skydiving on the ground as you can in the air. A day spent talking about skydiving with other skydivers and watching other jumpers land is soooo valuable even if you don't get on the airplane all day.

In addition, I will point out that *most* of the A-card is non- "actual-jumping" stuff, so there are actually a lot of specific licensing things you can accomplish on a non-jumpable day. (And if students aren't jumping, you can more easily get access to an instructor to start signing off on them as you complete 'em. And by getting those things out of the way now, you won't have to later spend time on a jumpable day not jumping.)

I'm not a current I, but if I'm out there I'd be happy to stand in the landing area and talk about what's going on with you

:ph34r:This is why I love this sport. Complete strangers that will help you learn and look out for you. Thanks for the offer!

I shouldn't be too hard to find, tall, red hair. Red facial hair to match.

Ill be more of a regular face there come August, after my side projects aside from regular work are done. My girlfriend supports me camping there for two weekends a month (easier on my gas tank). Can't wait to jump and learn more than my average 4 jumps a month
or less. I should have all the parts of my rig ready for Keith to
put together by then too. No more rentals=more jumps:)