Bigwallmaster

APEX SP Rig

Anyone know what's up with Apex and when they'll finally launch their single pin container? Presuming they already haven't; according to their website it's still in development.

Cheers,

JP

While - occasionally I catch Todd working on it – picture a stove with so many burners you'd need binoculars to see the last row – that's where the SP is . . .

The last time I asked him is the last time a customer asked me three weeks back. Todd said to tell him, "Don't make any plans or buy any plane tickets."

NickD :)BASE 194

> Anyone know what's up with Apex and when they'll finally launch their single pin container? Presuming they already haven't; according to their website it's still in development.
——————————————————————————————
When I was in the process of buying an Apex DP water rig, I also asked about Apex SP (it was end of 2005); I spoke on the phone with Todd.
He told me that while the Apex SP was "OK" with size for parachutes up to (let's say) 260 (OK means it closes OK, it looks nice after closed), when manufactured to fit parachutes (let's say) from 280 on, Apex SP showed "not nice looking view", it showed not pleasant creases with parachute inside.
I can understand this problem, because when I close my Prism (single pin rig), there are the stiffeners along the edge of side flaps that "suffer" a little bit to keep a straight and nice shape of closed container (my Prism was manufactured for a "standard" Fox 245, I got it modified with Vtec+valves later, which modification added a little more bulk).
As you add more volume of parachute into a single pin rig, even if having the right inner volume, same single pin rig shows difficulties in keeping in "proper" shape the edge of its (long) edge of side flap, because you have the grommet/loop/pin exactly in the middle of edge of side flap, and what keeps it in shape is the stiffener, at the end you reach a maximum length (of edge of side flap) beyond which you simply cannot keep it in shape; in fact, I am wondering which the biggest size is of a Prism ever manufatured by Apex (formerly Basic Research).
While Todd admitted that he was working on it, he told me about 3 options:
1) once solved any single problem, to release Apex SP for all sizes of parachutes
2) if "big parachutes issue" is NOT possible to be solved, to release Apex SP only for sizes of parachutes up to (let's say) 260
3) if "big parachutes issue" is NOT possible to be solved, to NEVER release Apex SP for sale.
IMHO, any of the above three options is perfectly acceptable and shows the behaviour of a very serious bloke/company :)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

As a slight thread hijack: What's the advantage of a one pin rig over a two pin rig? Why make both?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Single pin is good for beginners are there it is harder to make a rigging error associated with pin closure and the position of the bridle.

Many like to stay with what they know - And people who owned the original Prism (SP) want another one . . .

So the reason for having both is customer demand.

I don't know about one being simpler than the other, I mean it's not brain surgery in the first place.

We still get requests for the Vertex even though the DP is a totally updated version of that rig.

Single pin is good for beginners are there it is harder to make a rigging error associated with pin closure and the position of the bridle.

Could you elaborate....

if you dont understand how to close your two pin rig, correctly every time, then you have absolutley no buisness jumping anyway.

Many like to stay with what they know - And people who owned the original Prism (SP) want another one . . .

I have 3 Prisms. I think that the Prism 1.5, or JJ Mod (the original Prism with the wider flaps and extra stiffeners) was probably the best BASE rig ever made. It definitely defeated the "sloppy packing at large sizes" problem.

Nick, if you guys just resurrected that design and sold it as the Apex SP, I'd buy it, and I bet a lot of other people would, too.

For what it's worth, I was not a fan of the Prism 2--I liked the original significantly better.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,

I think I jumped one of these rigs when I was up there right? (Navy blue with Silver trim)

That said, I can honestly say I am looking to buy a rig like this for the reasons you listed above Tom. I felt I had an easier go at packing your rig; I felt like there was less fussing with the bridle and pin tension than when I packed DP rigs.

I'm with ya; if Apex just re-released that same rig to market then I'm in for sure.

Unless of course you're willing to sell me one of your Tom.;)

Cheers,

JP

>>Nick, if you guys just resurrected that design and sold it as the Apex SP, I'd buy it<<

I pass all these, the emails & the phone calls to the shop, plus the above on to Todd and they are piling up.

Keep it up . . .

GO DAN !!!