NSEMN8R

What's on this A?

I found a really nice freestander this weekend. 480 ft tall, sitting in the middle of a big field.
It looks like the perfect object for a beginer like me, but it has these things all over it. They're about 10 ft in diameter and there are about 8 of them on it.

I've asked a few experienced antenna jumpers about it. Some people said it should be ok as long as you don't get in front of it and some have said not to even get near it.

Does anyone on here have experience climbing around these things? Is there a way to find out what they are or if they will mess you up (short of climbing up there and seeing if my fillings melt)?

Thanks for any advice,

Tony

I'm more interested in seeing the full size pic that you're using on your avatar...

-Gardner

Here ya go...

It's a shitty frame grab but still, ya gotta love handcams.

excuse me, i have to go to the bathroom.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Doppler Maybe?

http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/national.html

Tom Dancs

Nope. I've seen the doppler ball on that map and it doesn't look like this.
I just got an email from someone who said they are microwave repeaters and they can fry your nuts.
I think I can live with that. In fact, it may be just what I need. I have enough kids already.

The covers are called radomes. They are used to prevent exposure of the parabolic dish to the elements. This can be more critical for high frequency transmitters and receivers. These dishes are highly directional, meaning that they pose essentially no hazard unless you are in front of them. Microwaves will cause tissue heating, which is detrimental to the eyes (which can be permanent) and for men, the gonads. However, the duration of exposure is so little while under canopy or in freefall that I do not expect health effects to be significant. The radiation can however damage things like video cameras or electronics. There was one case years ago where a jumper's camera fried in freefall when he passed a dish. The video was interesting.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Looks like some i have on a A i jump regulary,higher than me,i never felt a thing but were always behind them.
When i jump that object i usaly does my gear chek and hook up a sl before i phone my wife,so i estimate that im usaly up there arround 10 mins or so before i leave,that dish is next to me all the time.

I have felt radiation but not at that spot.

If you feel like your going to womit then get away:P

hubba hubba for that pic he he:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i have an A were theres no need to bring the cam,theres no radiation before the top,but at the top your cam will record but the recorded looks like s##t. if you make a gear chek at that same top you will feel it on your body and feel sick for sure as i did.. not a evryday jump even as i dont want more kids:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

And some video of you taking a shower would also help with the research.

they are microwave repeaters and they can fry your nuts. I think I can live with that. In fact, it may be just what I need.

Tony, I used to do research on behavior of high-temperature superconductors in strong microwave field. I can help you with your questions. I just need a couple of numbers to plug into Maxwell equations.

So, what's her phone number? ;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

And some video of you taking a shower would also help with the research.

Chris wants to see Tony's tandem student and according to your post, you want to see Chris in the shower.

Interesting.

Not in the I'd like to see that too category. (the tandem yes... the second... no) but in the "that's really brave of you to admit your desire to see pictures of Chris in the shower." sort of way.

Carry on.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Wait a minute... I meant a video of the woman taking a shower. LOL

It is a Microwave dish that at the given size of 8' tells me the transmitting end is quite a distance away. They do not produce much output energy...about 20-50 watts. I have heard people say that you shouldnt hang out behind them as you are "Getting Nuked" which is complete the oppisite as you are behind the collective device (Parabolic dish). It is a great place to get out of the wind and hide from spotlights ;).
I have spent many years working on towers and installing MW dishes as well as other types of Comm equipment.
If you want to worry, worry about High output FM and AM at 200K watts plus.
That will give you a headache!
Alan

HOLY, WHAT THE?!?!

Nawwww! Nobody wants to see video of me for sure!

How about stills instead? :D

Have Fun!
Baz

Just go fast past it if your going to jump it.

I always thought Microwave relays were decaying rectangle boxes that terminate at the sensor or transmitter. the boxes used to direct the signal. the same way a dish does. but maybe those are just the old ones, the kind they used before the circle was discovered ...:P

I actualy always thought that the dish in the picture was a TV relay. but also, maybe those are cylinders, like a Base drum would look like

I have seen people get pretty sick from microwave, AM, HD transmitters, FM, and TV relay.

but, nonetheless, we are base jumping. how fast can both dangerous things kill us?

Personaly, growing old doesnt seem apealing to me, at all.

we are base jumping. how fast can both dangerous things kill us?

taken from http://hometown.aol.com/base194/myhomepage/base_fatality_list

Jim Dias, BASE 67
Cancer
Jim succumbed to cancer, and while no direct link is proven, it started people thinking that climbing around on live AM radio antenna towers may not be a good idea. Jumpers on live AM towers are being dosed with large amounts of electromagnetic radiation and the practice of climbing and jumping AM towers is being discouraged inside the BASE community.

Might sooner than we realice:|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

They are microwave dishes, looks like 6Ghz, maybe 10Ghz. They connect the sites by microwave in a string, each pair is pointing to another tower and they hook them up like that and the last site feeds into a T1 phone line or links right to the switch with another dish. You can stand behind them all you want al day long, I find that they make a good seat for a mid-climb smoke break. You can pass them in freefall and fly in front of them with no worries, just don't hang out in front of it for prolonged periods and you will be OK.

It shames me to think for so many years I wasted all that free altitude climbing down!
On the bright side at least now I have the keys!
B|

each pair is pointing to another tower

sounds like i might need to bring my Laser in a sertain direction then..

150ft up aint high for T1 phones is it?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

We found another interesting tower around here.

Anyone know what it is? Anything we need to stay away from up there?

Thanks again,

Tony