KolinskyDC

Tear in canopy

I spread out my canopy after jumping this weekend because it was a little damp after a few landings in the snow and noticed that there are two 2 inch tears next to each other about and inch apart. Is this something I can put a patch on or sew? Should I wait until I go back up to my DZ next Sunday and have them do it? If I wait til then, by the time I can get up there I won't be able to jump on Sunday.:( But of course if it is something that needs to be done by a rigger I will wait, but if it is something I can do, I would appreciate someone letting me know what is the best way to repair it myself?

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

I've had packers dicover 2 small holes in my canopy on seperate occasions, they are nothing to stress over and yes you can jump the canopy as long as the tears are small. You should take the canopy in to a rigger to have the holes patched. Someone I trust told me DO NOT let anyone put rip stop on the canopy if you are going to have the holes patched.
Hope this helps!

Your rigger needs to look at it and put a patch on it properly. Depending on the location of the damage (if its near a seam or rib) they may have to tear part of the canopy apart to do it properly.

A patch job could take as short as 10-20 minutes or it might be an hour plus to do.

This is a good chance to sit and learn about parachute patches from your rigger if they will let you watch. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If the rip is anything larger then 2 or 3 squares of the rip stop fabric you need to look at having it professional repaired. If its more then an inch long you must have it repaired before jumping it again. Weak spots in the canopy like a small cut can rapidly grow during a skydive. Last thing you want to happen is to have the rip go from nose to tail at 1000 feet as you are setting up for landing. Thats rare... but small damage can rapidly grow to major damage.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I would recommend having the tears you described, properly patched by a rigger, before you jump it again. I've seen small tears become big tears because they were ignored. Depending where the tears are, if they are close to ribs, they could expand into the rib of the parachute. Two small patches take less time to do and are less costly than a major repair.

Chuck

2 two-inch tears is very atypical. Definitely get them repaired prior to jumping it again, unless you want 2 ten-foot tears. I am curious about where the tears are? Anywhere near the bridle attachment? Climbed any barbed-wire fences lately? How many jumps on this canopy?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

2 two-inch tears is very atypical. Definitely get them repaired prior to jumping it again, unless you want 2 ten-foot tears. I am curious about where the tears are? Anywhere near the bridle attachment? Climbed any barbed-wire fences lately? How many jumps on this canopy?

Thanks for all the replies. It is a nine cell and the tear is on the top skin of the third cell from the right. It is about a third of the way from the nose to the tail and about and inch from the seam where the rib goes down from. Looking at it again, the tears are more like and inch but there is also a small tear going between the two tears, looks like an H and as I looked at it again is very close to becoming a hole, so jumping with it is definitely not an option and I will have my rigger repair it this weekend. I am glad I decided to take it home and dry it out instead of just packing it a little damp, which I was told would be fine if I was jumping again soon. Who knows what it might have turned into on my next jump :S

No, I haven't climbed over any barbed wire fences and don't plan to. I have only 19 jumps on the canopy.

Yeah I am also stumped as to where the tears came from, don't think they were there when I got the canopy and would think that if they were, they would have turned into a lot bigger tears after 19 jumps.

Makes me wonder how often I should be spreading it out and going over all the fabric.

Melissa

Everyone should look over their own gear all the time. You just never know what you might catch. Maitenance is most important! Don't become lazy about the upkeep, it could hurt you.B|

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

did you buy it new or used?

It is used, but I did not buy it. It is part of a gear program I am doing, I will be trading it in for a smaller canopy probably in a month. I did not check it over when I got it. I am doing this program at a different DZ than my home DZ. When I picked up the rig I went straight to my rigger and told him to take it apart, repack the reserve and main and inspect every inch, so I am sure it was not there when I got it, but I can't remember anything that would have caused it either [:/]

Melissa

One of the standard guesses for strange damage to the top of a canopy is when some fabric gets pinched between the ring at the base of the bridle and the grommet on the bag. Or it gets snarled up in the loop of bridle created when the pilot chute gets cocked.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I take it this is you main, and again I am guessing your main is ZP. ZP fabric is not ripstop and a very small tear can turn into a very large tear on the next jump. Get it fixed before jumping it again.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I believe you are mistaken. The ZP fabric used in most canopies today IS ripstop nylon. And depending on the size, shape and location of the 'tear', it may or may not be an immediate problem.

-R

I take it this is you main, and again I am guessing your main is ZP. ZP fabric is not ripstop and a very small tear can turn into a very large tear on the next jump. Get it fixed before jumping it again.
Sparky

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I concur, but another possibility is the packing area. Most people cocoon their canopies while packing, causing the topskin to be rubbed on the ground, especially while people kneel on it stuffing it into the bag.

-R

One of the standard guesses for strange damage to the top of a canopy is when some fabric gets pinched between the ring at the base of the bridle and the grommet on the bag. Or it gets snarled up in the loop of bridle created when the pilot chute gets cocked.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Ok, so I spoke with the rigger at my DZ and he said I should ask the guy who owns the canopy (doing a gear program where the canopies are provided as you downsize) just to make sure he was ok with someone else repairing it, but he would do if when he had the time. I spoke with the canopy owner and he said that it did not sound like a serious issue and if I wanted I could get some rip-stop tape and apply it then sew around the edges. Does this sound like something I could do? I did not know they made this special tape and if they do, it sounds like they have made it relatively easy to use (at least by how this guy responded)

Just looking on some input. My rigger will probably not be able to do it right away and I really want to jump this weekend, what to do???

Melissa

Oh, and one more thing. Someone moved my rig to another room in the house and managed to pull out a little of the reserve strap that has the toggle on it. So now the strap is loose and you can see a little of the yellow reserve toggle and extra brake stow. Is this something that will have to be completely re-packed, or can it just be opened enough to tuck it back in?

Melissa

Does this sound like something I could do?

Technically? Yes. Would I allow you to do it to a canopy that my gear store owned? Chances would be slim to none on that - and even if I would I certainly wouldn't tell you to do it without first having seen the holes. :S

Re: people moving your rig. Get a gear bag or a duffle bag or some kind of bag. Keep your rig in it. Tell everyone who ever sets foot in your house that they will die if they touch it.

The reserve riser is exposed? Depending on how much, you might want to have that fixed. To do that they are going to probally open up the reserve container to reposition the risers and reclose it. Have your rigger look at it. Next time someone moves the rig start beating them with a baseball bat unless they are a jumper. ;)

Sewing on Ripstop tape? Never tried that one. Make sue you don't use normal thread and you use E thread if you do any canopy repair work.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

taking to your rigger and have him/her patch the holes... better safe than sorry... small rips can become big ass tears quick, fast and in a hurry... no sense in risking it.

don't try to patch it yourself unless you have mastered the french fell seam, have a supply of appropriate zero P material for making the patch and are a FAA certificated rigger or under the direct supervision of one... it's pretty cut and dried on canopy repairs...

under no circumstances put rip stop tape on the holes and then sew around them.... first, rip stop tape has an adhesive backing that is acidic and will eat the canopy... generally ripstop is used for short term emergency type repairs, but when it's time to patch the hole for real, now you have to cut out not only the area where the hole was originally, but the area that the ripstop tape covered, thus enlarging the area that needs to be patched...

if the reserve riser has been displaced, the top of the riser is now not in the position that the rigger placed it in while packing... I would personally look at this pretty seriously... did this action disturb the line stowage? is the brake still properly stowed? are the links now sitting on top of each other so that they will poke into your back? has something shifted and is now in position to cause a bag lock on your freebag? reserve risers are stowed pretty securely and someone slinging one around with enough force to move one (keeping in mind that it's pinned under the freebag and pilot chute under a ton of pressure) tells me you might have more going on under that flap than you may know.... get it to a rigger and let him decided whether it needs a repack or maybe just the judicious application of a packing paddle... at your level, what is going on under that flap is magic-- let the wizard figure it out.

let's make this easy... if it involves sewing, patching or anything to do with the reserve, just take it to your rigger and let them figure out what to do...... that's why they got the training..... relax, you'll be able to jump soon enough and you want to be able to do it more than once...

Melissa,

You have a very knowledgable rigger and approachable instructors available to you, frankly I'm surprised you even asked this here. I suggest going there for advice. If you want BG's # I can PM it to you.

Blue skies,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Melissa,

You have a very knowledgable rigger and approachable instructors available to you, frankly I'm surprised you even asked this here. I suggest going there for advice. If you want BG's # I can PM it to you.

Blue skies,
Ian

Hey Ian,

Did you read the date on my original post? Of course I asked BG to fix it, this message was posted after I had a call into him, was waiting to hear back and was just curious what others had to say. I had also called the guy whose gear it was and he said "just put some rip-stop tape on it" and did not seemed too concerned, which I found a little strange. Give me a little credit. ;)

Anyway, it was really good to see you and Katie over Memorial Day weekend, hope to see you guys again, soon.

Melissa

Did you read the date on my original post?

Whoops, my bad - heh :)

Give me a little credit.

Nah :P...ok, maybe a little...but just a little.

Anyway, it was really good to see you and Katie over Memorial Day weekend, hope to see you guys again, soon.

You too. Tell Epi, we're sorry we missed her.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team