cvfd1399

Is this bad or normal?

I would recommend the replacement of this part as in the photos supplied it looks like it is frayed on both sides. Granted air items are rated pretty well, but when it comes to both sides coming undone. That is not good. I would also look into why this got into this condition to begin with...
A jumper should also have his or her main gear inspected (either by the jumper and/ or rigger) every few months when they are getting the reserve done to find anything before it can or does cause a problem..

Until then take care,

Ken..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I would recommend the replacement of this part as in the photos supplied it looks like it is frayed on both sides. Granted air items are rated pretty well, but when it comes to both sides coming undone. That is not good. I would also look into why this got into this condition to begin with...
A jumper should also have his or her main gear inspected (either by the jumper and/ or rigger) every few months when they are getting the reserve done to find anything before it can or does cause a problem..

Until then take care,

Ken..

Those look like risers from a MT1-X. With that many tics broken they are not airworthy.
Being from a MT1-X they could have taken loads upto 300+ lbs at 30,000 feet several times. Replace them and sleep better.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

When your rigger replaces those risers, ask him/her to closely inspect the harness rings for roughness.
Just last summer I grounded a pair of risers - that resembled yours from a distance. Upon closer inspection we found serious roughness on the harness rings. Fortunately the owner already ordered a new harness.

When your rigger replaces those risers, ask him/her to closely inspect the harness rings for roughness.
Just last summer I grounded a pair of risers - that resembled yours from a distance. Upon closer inspection we found serious roughness on the harness rings. Fortunately the owner already ordered a new harness.

Very good point, some of the MT1 rigs that end up in civilian hands have had a checkered past.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If I took it into my shop to sell on consignment, I would replace it.

Maintenance and replace items such as risers, pilot chute, lines and d-bags. Those are the wear and tear items.

How many jumps are on those risers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This is one of the rings off of the release. It is only frayed on one side, and only on one riser. I say frayed, but Does it HAVE to be replaced or is ok?[/reply

Buy new risers dude and have your base (Harness) rings checked for burrs and abrasive points.

Mick.