mostwanted

getting into base: first skydiving rig

1. how to properly spot a load

Students at big DZ's often don't get taught to spot. And they end up getting out whenever they are told to, after the load was spotted by someone else, for their own flight paths.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It looks fairly good, except:

1) It's probably smaller than you'll want to BASE jump (but still much better practice than a Triathlon or similar canopy),

edit because I read the ad through, and saw that this Raven has bridle attachment point.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

1) It's probably smaller than you'll want to BASE jump (but still much better practice than a Triathlon or similar canopy),

too small to skydive it for base-training? or too small to base-jump it from fixed objects?

what size (for a raven) would you recommend for 62 kg (naked ;)) and do you know which size the next avaiable/produced raven would have? (245?)

2) Find out if it has a bridle attachment point.

***ebay: The Raven can be used as a reserve or main canopy as it has a bridle attachment point.

how much is that ravenIIg worth?

too small to skydive it for base-training? or too small to base-jump it from fixed objects?

Too small to jump from fixed objects. Which means that it is less suitable for training with (since, ideally, you'd train with exactly the same canopy as you will BASE jump with).

what size (for a raven) would you recommend for 62 kg (naked ;))

You'll want a BASE canopy in the 240ish size range. So I'd say the Raven III (249, I think) would be about right.

...do you know which size the next avaiable/produced raven would have? (245?)

If I recall correctly, the next size increments of Ravens are 249 and 282.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

1. how to properly spot a load

Students at big DZ's often don't get taught to spot. And they end up getting out whenever they are told to, after the load was spotted by someone else, for their own flight paths.

If possible DONT go to a big DZ. Learning to spot is IMO a essential but larger missed lesson in skydiving. GO to a small 182 DZ, OR take earlier exits, 5k, 6k, etc...

Even getting out lower the pilot will usually spot at a turbine DZ. Some pilots will actually get annoyed when you try to give them corrections to the spot. They have GPS and all the toys afterall :P

Greenie in training.

hmmm... isn't teaching spotting skills part of the ISP? ;)

people preparing to BASE should consider opening higher on skydives. that normally provides a better chance of making the field as well as valuable time under canopy.

backing up in a stiff wind also teaches practical accuracy skills. really. if that freaks a jumper out, do you think they should BASE?

disclaimer:
jumping a large parachute in stiff winds is unnerving, risky, and should ONLY be done with care. (just like BASE.)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

what do you think:

how many skydives would i get out of that?
how much should i be willing to pay for that?

@tom (and all the others): would you encourage me to buy a Raven II even though a Raven III would most likely be better? (who knows if i get the possibility to buy a Raven III in the next months...)

...would you encourage me to buy a Raven II even though a Raven III would most likely be better? (who knows if i get the possibility to buy a Raven III in the next months...)

Probably, especially if it's cheap. If you don't pay much for it, you can always turn it around to recover most of your costs, or just keep it in your closet.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Probably, especially if it's cheap. If you don't pay much for it, you can always turn it around to recover most of your costs, or just keep it in your closet.

ok.thanks.

PS: what do i (ignorant beginner) know what "cheap" is for such a canopy?

I sold my voodoo/stiletto a couple of years ago and bought a lage container and raven III to use exclusivley as my skydiving rig. It is great to be constantly under a canopy that is similar to my base canopies.
The only negative thing about it is you won't have a small and cool looking rig. But then again who cares!

You should be able to find one cheap, especially if it has been used a few times.

The only negative thing about it is you won't have a small and cool looking rig. But then again who cares!

i think that is a borderline personal attack. i know who cares... me! i wouldn't be caught without my tiny "cool guy" rig at a DZ. again, this is where the trash bag method comes in handy. the best of both worlds.;)

Get your self a Raven or Manta thouse should be really cheap theese days and from what i flew them i think they are close to a BASE canopy

any other opinions on the MANTA? thank you for your help. :)

yeah Manta is a 9 cell canopy but still a F-111 and BIG i find a Manto a better tool than example any other zp canopyes...
but thats just me ;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

ok, here's an offer - maybe it would be just fine for my purpose:

Raven III (note: i am 62 kg / 136 lbs naked)
06/1987
dacron lines
used as a reserve in student rig
3 jumps
100 Euro (=120 USD)

should i ask the seller how ofter it was packed? (is this that important?)

should this be a Raven or Super Raven - how can i proof? (is it that important?)

so i think this could be perfect for me skydiving it to train for base?

my wingload-calculation:
136 lbs. (weight) + 34 lbs. (gear, clothing, helmet,...) = 170 lbs.
170 lbs. / 249 sqft. (raven III) = 0,68 (wingload)

@tom (and all): what do you think - could the Raven III be a problem for me (62 kg / 136 lbs) on (more) windy days - so that i am not able to get back to dropzone or have to stay on the ground?

i hope i am not too much annoying you due to my large number of posts/questions i posted - i am only an ignorant beginner who wants to make it the right way. thank you once again for your great efforts!

(edited to add: dacron lines)
(edited to add: wingload-calculation)

Sounds very good to me. And the price is right.

I'd jump on it if I were you.

now i am a happy man! :)

ok, one last (i promise! ;)) question:

is there anybody out there who would NOT encourage me to buy a RAVEN 3 to skydive it as my (first) main to train for base?

(note: for additional information see post #41)

is there anybody out there who would NOT encourage me to buy a RAVEN 3 to skydive it as my (first) main to train for base?

it's not HOW you learn, but WHAT you learn that is significant. every path has strengths and weaknesses. none are perfect. make your call, make the most of it, and enjoy!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

subject: kevlar-lines...

any objections, if someone (guess who! ;) ) would maybe buy a Raven (as his first sydiving-main to train for base - blablabla :)) with kevlar-lines on it?

DOM 1991 - used as a reserve - no jumps.

For skydiving use, I think it's fine.

I wouldn't use kevlar lines for BASE, but for this application (skydiving canopy to train) I think it'll be ok.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

thanks tom.

i read in the "gear and rigging" forum, that...

You have to be really careful to keep Kevlar lines away from hook Velcro or they WILL fray.

Kevlar also deteriorates rapidly when exposed to sunlight.

Kevlar is also rather brittle, in that it cracks after repeated flexing (i.e. stowing in rubber bands).

Kevlar lines also did not stand up well to repeated hard openings. This is the main reason Kevlar did not survive as main suspension lines as (early 1980s) users started reporting broken lines after as few as 60 jumps!

are those statements true?

well, i really don't want to have to replace the lines of an cheap, old canopy after 60 jumps...

PS: threat can be found at http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1210958;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

are those statements true?

Yes they are.

If you buy that canopy, expect to reline it fairly quickly.

My suggestion would be: Unless you're paying next to nothing for the parachute, keep looking.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

well i just got some other information on the kevlar-issue from "my" local (impartial) rigger:

kevlar is not kevlar.
the material Precicion used is good!

hmmm...?

PS: i hope you can understand my translation from german language into english language...