spidermonky

pro pack tail wrapping ?

I jump a sabre 170 and the person I bought it from told me to set the nose into the packjob and pull each side of the tail around to the small of my back to get enough of it pulled forward to roll. Then roll the tail all the way to the flat packing tabs. I don't normally roll it quite that much, but close. My question is, can this pull lines out of place?

yes.

often what works for one person when they pack does not work for another. There are so many combinations and variations to every step of a pack job. Roll the tail the way you feel comfortable packing... and, there is a thread somewhere in here where everyone discusses their sabres...everyone has a sabre trick because they are not exactly well-known for their consistancy on opening.
cheers
B|

Performance Designs recommends using a knee to prevent dragging the steering lines too far forward.
I prefer pinching the steering lines through the tail/top skin to prevent them from wandering.
Whichever method you use, remember that it is important to keep steering lines center rear.

For "livnbored":

Whichever method you use, remember that it is important to keep steering lines center rear.

Listen to this man. What he's trying to prevent is a few things. Primarily a lineover and possibly line burn on the canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For "livnbored":

Listen to this man. What he's trying to prevent is a few things. Primarily a lineover and possibly line burn on the canopy.

I don't think you have ever seen me pack a parachute, but I do this, have always done this... I was just answering the question that was asked, not shooting my mouth off, as you may notice...I didn't ask any question, so i don't know why you posted that... do you? Nor did I explain how I pack a parachute...did you read this somehow subconsciously placed in my answer?

As for rolling the tail real tight...I agree with dude above... I have never found it to do too much for the opening, just keep the pack job together. Of course, I'm just a girl...

In my experience, rolling the tail is done only so that the canopy can be put neatly into the bag. Also in my experience repairing parachutes, I have found many many time that when the tail has been rolled excessively during packing, damage in the form of friction burns are likely to appear on both cells next to the center cell precisely at the point where the rolling took place due to the high speed unraveling of the tail.
Next time you are packing, try this little experiment.
While standing, roll the tail as much as you think is necessary then let it go. You'll find that the tail will unravel it self while it hangs there in your hand presumably with no air speed to help it.
Now think of what is happening to the tail when 120mph of relative wind hits it. It will unravel much faster and more violently than it did while you held it in your hand and sooner or later it will damage the material.
Also keep in mind that line a over is much much harder to get than most think thanks to the slider(excluding tandems). The slider grommets contain each riser group and make it difficult for any one line to make it around the front of the canopy with out dragging all the lines with. Especially when the bakes have been stowed and while stowed, the upper control lines are usually only as long as the B or C lines depending on the parachute. Usually what some one thinks has been a line over has actually been a tension knot. If you think you had a line over that would not clear, then check the top skin of your canopy. If it was a line over then there will be visible damage in the form of burns or scuff marks where the line over was. If no damage exists, then chances are it was a tension knot. They look very similar to line overs

Is there a way to check that the lines haven't moved?

Sure, just carefully unpack the canopy. You can basically reverse the packing method without disturbing things, and see where all the lines are hanging out.

Or, did you mean a way to check that the lines haven't moved while still moving forward in getting it in the bag and in the container? I know how to do that too, but it's less precise and requires an airplane.

I treat packing like cooking: I follow the rules and if I have an accident that makes me think something may no longer be cool (like the cocoon splits in two across my arm while I'm trying to lay it down), I back up as far as necessary and redo it just to be sure*. (The analog in cooking would be if I touched something that had touched raw meat - I would wash my hands again before returning to the current task.)

* Unless I'm trying to make the next load. Then I say "it'll probably be fine" and I forget all about it. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

>Is there a way to check that the lines haven't moved?

I use two methods. When I pull the tail up I grab the C/D/brake lines _through_ the tail and hold them with my left hand; I keep a grip on them until I put the canopy down. Then I kneel on the lower part of the canopy. That's where the line attach points and slider are, and if you keep them under control, you can do just about anything you want with the rest of the canopy to get it in the bag.

Rolling the tail in and of itself doesn't do much. If it helps you get it into the bag neatly with the lines and slider under control, it can help you get better openings.