skyflyingbecca

Is this a good shoe for BASE?

Good or Bad?

I'm mostly concerned about the bungee holder, but it seems so much more slimline than others.

Do you think it would still catch? What about taking off the clear plastic tube and tucking the bungee holder back under the laced section?

Should be fine I would think.......

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

I jumped in a similar pair of Solomons for a long time. Now I only jump those in Twin and frankly, I much prefer my boots.
Proper boots will provide you with much better protection than any shoe. Consider going that route instead.
-C.

Damn you guys are fast. Have I told you all how much I love you lately?:D:$

Proper boots will provide you with much better protection than any shoe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would prefer something with more ankle protection.

Hmm...... Well here in hot, humid South FL boots are hot and get your feet sweaty and become a breeding ground for stinky bacteria. Gross. I spend so much time in boots for work, I detest them. But if you guys think it's worth it.... Any good boot recommendations?

Here's a pic of the boot equivalent, whatcha think?

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

There are too many posts on this for me to link individual threads, so start here.

Hanwags seem to be the standard. The hardware is virtually snag-proof. A newer boot that's gaining popularity is the Crispi Airborne GTX. I jump La Sportiva Glaciers. They have standard 'hooks' on the upper-ankle, but I protect mine by folding down my socks or covering w/ pants.

In any case, what you really want to look for are a shock absorbing heel, good ankle protection and what you've already picked up on: low snag potential.

-C.

...newer boot...

I bought my Crispis from a BASE gear manufacturer when they were the only boot stocked by any BASE company.

I'm not sure which of the Crispi's or Hanwag's is "older" or "newer" or that it makes any difference.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hanwags or Crispi's yo... no doubt.

I used to jump in tennis before I knew better. Then my hanwags saved my ankles on a couple street landings. Ankle protection is a must in my opinion :)Apex sells them.

Hmm...... Well here in hot, humid South FL boots are hot and get your feet sweaty and become a breeding ground for stinky bacteria. Gross. I spend so much time in boots for work, I detest them. But if you guys think it's worth it....

I thought this thread was a joke. Firefighter? You're a fucking idiot. Ewwww, my boots are sweaty. Shut the fuck up. Do you rescue people while wearing sandals? You don't have to ride to know a helmet is a good idea before redlining a Ninja in sixth. Speaking of which, I hope you're using a fraphat. Also, please break your ankles as soon as you can.

Tom, ban me for more than 2 weeks this time. I think Mac's rubbing off on me... I've lost my patience. See you in January. Have a happy new year everyone.
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Wow, you're so sweet. Thanks for the advice.

It's always nice to meet new people and chat about stuff, especially when you're new and learning.

Common sense tells you "yeah this or that product would be good or bad, but maybe there's something I'm missing. Maybe I'll ask some of those nice experienced jumpers I've met in that forum, where there is such a vast wealth of knowledge to tap into." I can search old threads all day but technology also changes every day, so sometimes a little extra patience with the "same old question" is nice.

If my question bothers you, simply ignore it.

There is no button on my screen that tells me to rag on someone who I think is an idiot.

Think what you want about me, I could care less. But keep your fucking opinions in your ugly mouth where the other people who like to help us newbies out don't have to read your shit.

If you can't abide by the rules of the forum and you go and get yourself banned, I can see how that's my fault and you should come back and bitch me out once your time out is over. And you want me to break my ankles as soon as possible? How mature.

Oh and by the way, the part about the gross bacteria was in jest. Who's the idiot again? Oh right, that's me. :DB|

don't sweat it about Abbie, he's still pissed that he wasn't allowed any awesome pizza (no cheese for him before sharing a car with people offended by his flatulence) recently in Moab...

I do know where he's coming from, though and he's venting about the trends in people starting base lately, not just about your question.

What concerns me most is that you posted a man's shoe - is there something you want to tell us?? :o

That said, people have posted some good advice, avoid those shoes, get decent boots like Hanwag or Crispi and wear them every jump.

Obviously style and sleekness are important to you, so rest assured that wearing good paragliding type boots will keep your ankles and lower legs looking more stylish and sleek than jumping in fashionable lowtops indefinitely...

but then, I bet there's some freaks (probably Abbie and that's where the break your ankles comment came from) who has a deviant fetish for women with large, swollen, scarred ankles, the kind that good boots would help avoid.... you know, just check out that movie: 'Crash' and you'll know who I'm talking about..

I think you'll find the Hanwag boots (I think the Cripsi boots too) quite resistant to becoming smelly and fungus infected - could be due to the use of gore-tex.

I know I've worn my Hanwags for 17 days of jumping and hiking/climbing in a row and I never found myself wanting any other footwear on.

oh yeah, about that 'loving you all' bit, are you going to be at any of the base events next year? :)

cya
sam

what you need to know about Abbie is that people always pick on him,he is always the guy who get the emty beer bothle or no cheese on his pizza. that said he jumps a pink PC alot..

I guess he did get sh!t pressents at xmass aswell and he might aswell be drunk.

If he had read your name he would have invited you over to his to get a tequilla stuntman:P

You deafently want a pair of boots that support your ankels.Im not into hanwags or so but desent hiking boots whith a small amount or none death hooks on.

personaly i jump a pair of DM´s

Tom just to pick on Abbie i think you should ban him 2 weeks in newyear instead just as we know he wont be online the next 2 weeks anyway:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Actually, I don't agree with either abbie or Jaap (and everyone else).

My opinion isn't coming from alot of experience landing BASE chutes... it's from alot of paraglider landing in tight areas... at higher wing loading and ground speeds than my BASE rig, and lots of experience walking around the mountains in boots while climbing.

I've broken (and watched others do the same) my ankles in big leather ice climbing boots and even plastic boots.

It's a bit of a myth that a few cm's of leather (ie. Hanwags) are going to do anything to protect your ankle from an impact of bone- breaking force. You can flex that ankle area with your hands... can't you?

The only thing that will protect you is your ability to react, roll, run, etc.

I've found that the more sensitivity a shoe offers the better it is... usually lighter is better for me. That being said, under sole cushioning is nice for those hard, but not dangerous landings.

BTW, those are ugly shoes.

-Briggs

Oh yeah... sideways impacts to your ankles from landed in large fields of nasty boulders, or hitting cliffs is a different kettle of fish...

... it's from alot of paraglider landing in tight areas... at higher wing loading and ground speeds than my BASE rig...

Huh!?! What wing are you flying? Higher wing loading? a 27m^2 wing (that's a medium size wing for those non-paragliders) = ~294 ft^2. You jump a BASE canopy larger than that? And higher grounds speeds? Is this a small aerobatics wing? Because that's the only way I could see all this possible.

Help me out here.

It's a bit of a myth that a few cm's of leather (ie. Hanwags) are going to do anything to protect your ankle from an impact of bone- breaking force. You can flex that ankle area with your hands... can't you?

It's not so much the actual 'protection' of that few extra cms of leather as much as it's keeping everything aligned properly to take the force of an impact. Your feet/ankles/legs will take a beating far better if one's not folded under the other.

And yeah, those are pretty ugly shoes and if we've learned anything about BASE from skydiving, it's that BASE is meant to be stylish.

-C.

Huh!?! What wing are you flying? Higher wing loading? a 27m^2 wing = ~294 ft^2. You jump a BASE canopy larger than that? And higher grounds speeds? Is this a small aerobatics wing? Because that's the only way I could see all this possible.

Help me out here.

It's not that small.

24m2 = ~258ft2 plus an aerobatics harness (heavy) two reserves and assorted other shit makes for 60lbs of extra weight on top of my 190lbs or wing loading at ~1:1

My BASE rig is a 280.

It's not that small.

24m2 = ~258ft2 plus an aerobatics harness (heavy) two reserves and assorted other shit makes for 60lbs of extra weight on top of my 190lbs or wing loading at ~1:1

My BASE rig is a 280.

There's a significant difference in the two types of wings that goes far beyond simple wingloading. I've only flown a 27m^2, 1-2 wing--and only a few flights at that--so it's a far cry from what you're piloting. But, considering the differences in the wing design and your wingloading, the higher ground-speed plays into your glide angle, as well, and I'm relatively certain you're landing at an angle of incidence that's far more shallow than the steeper descent of a BASE wing. I could be way off in that last statement, though.

-C.

You can flex that ankle area with your hands... can't you?

Actually, the Crispis have a (removable) stiff plastic reinforcement that you can't flex with your hands.

I don't think it's the _only_ thing. I do think it's an important thing that can often be overlooked.

If you can find a copy, I highly recommend Doug Robinson's essay on Running Talus.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It's not that small.

My BASE rig is a 280.

There's a significant difference in the two types of wings that goes far beyond simple wingloading. I've only flown a 27m^2, 1-2 wing--and only a few flights at that--so it's a far cry from what you're piloting. But, considering the differences in the wing design and your wingloading, the higher ground-speed plays into your glide angle, as well, and I'm relatively certain you're landing at an angle of incidence that's far more shallow than the steeper descent of a BASE wing. I could be way off in that last statement, though.

-C.

No. No.... that's quite correct. More forward, less down. They are very different animals.

You can flex that ankle area with your hands... can't you?

Actually, the Crispis have a (removable) stiff plastic reinforcement that you can't flex with your hands.

I don't think it's the _only_ thing. I do think it's an important thing that can often be overlooked.

Roger. That was a bit of an exaggeration.

My basic point being, if you have enough force kicking around to break a bone... it has to go somewhere. And in the absence of a proper physical (re)action, it will break something... if your ankle is too "reinforced" to break, then your tib- fib will go, or something will...

Robinson is rad. On the subject of good movement skills, check this out:

My buddy came out prancing around with a set of ankle braces used for airfield stuff by the rangers. He jumped and snapped his tib/fib.