manship

Split from experience or just luck.. NICKDG reply

This morning's topic was "chute failure" and how
I split this off and am replying to part of Nicks post, so I hope he reads this and replies if he wishes.

Nick wrote:

First off I told him a "chute" is something coal goes sliding down and what we use is a "parachute."

This is not the first time I have run into the idea that using the term "chute" is a bad thing. However, I think I started skydiving around the same time as you Nick [Though it was much later than you when I finally found my BASE guts]. I remember we always used the term chute when talking about our rigs. Where I started jumping, it was a often used expression. Maybe it was not used where you started jumping?

Anyway, I was just wondering who else finds the use of this term nerve grating?

I still use it at times, and am still surprised when it causes a negative reaction.

Just passing time until The Man Show comes on :)

later,
t
==========================================

I didn't invent skydiving, but I jumped with the guys who did.

Granted, it's a small thing, but to my ears "chute" sounds whuffo-ish . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

In my short time in the sport i've found "chute" is usually preceeded by what if the.......and followed by .....doesn't open?
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I like the word "chute". There are few words that geordies and yanks can pronounce in a similar fashion and leave aussies feeling left out because the word just bounces around their mouths without really ever coming fully out (they make it sound more like shuyt which is what an Irishman calls a turd).

I hate the word "canopy". Sounds too much like something a french tart eats before dinner.

My term of choice is schwack sack.
$kin
There's only one Tom Aiello...

Granted, it's a small thing, but to my ears "chute" sounds whuffo-ish . . .

feel free to call me a wuffo;)

i call it a chute,sheap or what ever,but usaly dont call it parachute:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

should a PC be called a PPC
pilot parachute ?
or is it not a type of parachute ?

Why is it called a "pilot" chute anyway? Like a pilot hole when you're drilling a bigger hole? Always wondered about that.

Seems every "chute" a pilot wears would be a pilot chute.

Or maybe it's a joke. Since pilot rigs are generally rounds, you toss the little, round, silly, "pilot chute" to make the real parachute come out.

But then if you look deeper, you'll notice that back when men were steel and parachutes were round, it took more balls to land on of those suckers. Now we have the soft landing squares where you don't need to pound in at all. Maybe the rounds are the real parachutes....:S maybe the joke is on us?

Hello,
In this circle of friends,
we usually call it a canopy.
In another of my circle of friends,
we tend to get annoyed at the phrase "tattoo GUN".
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

One of the definitions of "pilot" is:

The part of a tool, device, or machine that leads or guides the whole.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It must be REALLY WINDY for the rest of you too. Because we're here talking about using the term 'chute' or not.

Three of us decided it would be a good idea today to take our CHUTES and ground launch down a steep road in 30 mph winds.

So now we're sitting on the internet with damaged equipment. Talking about CHUTES.

Hey, what about poop-chutes? Let's talk about those!

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

damage? do tell... also is there video?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

well, collin lauched his fox-245 and took off in reverse, full throttle. After being drug from pavement to gravel and over random protruding steel pipes, we've decided his canopy need inspection.

With the latest data, we concurred I need to launch a smaller canopy. The tool for job was chosen to be a skydiving system with a pilot-132. A new launch method was also used. Collin grabbed my pilot chute... and I started running. We spent the next twenty minutes trying to right the canopy up and keep me from dragging on my back uphill on the pavement. This container now needs inspection.

Peter was filming the event, until we realized the battery in the camera needed inspection.

:)
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

what, did the camera have so much drag on it that it was drug uphill too?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I found this over in the Bonfire. Someone is using it as a sig:

I am still old, broke, in debt, homeless, unemployed and crippled but my chutes are packed and my reserve is in date so I figure that I am way ahead of the game. -- Bob Sinclair

Emphasis supplied.

IIRC, Bob is D-272.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Guest 1010
somone found it over here and put it in my sig :o

There is a town called Parachute, Colorado. Anyone know of any towns named Chute?

(1010 is not a base #)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Parachute comes from French:

"chute" means a fall
"para-" means to shield

parachute = shield from falling
parapluie = shield from rain ("pluie" = rain)
parasol = shield from sun ("sol" = sun)
parapente = paraglider = shield from slope?? ("pente" = slope, hill)

paragrossesse = condom ??

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

paracornishe
Leroy