jimmyp

Canopy retrieval duty

Well, I just got done with a 2 day ropes/rescue course taught by Lee Hardesty. Watching Brian and Lee pull Maggot off the wall during the TB was a wake up call for everyone who saw it. Many of us realized that we did not have the skills and knowledge to do what those guys did. I've climbed for years, but I've never gotten beyond reading the rescue books. In a situation like that (Maggot hanging by 1 line on a sandstone flake), timing was critical and these guys had to have set some kind of speed record in getting to him, not to mention getting him back up on top.
So after everyone left the boogie, we were left with a canopy half way up the wall flapping for everyone to see. For one, someone might see it and think that it was someone trapped up on the wall, for another, it isn't the best advertising for BASE in the area, and thirdly, it is straight up littering. Lee and I joined forces to retrieve it.
On day one, Lee showed me how to set up the anchor and pulley system, then made me set it up. On most sites, you would just rap down and get the canopy. Here, it is so overhanging that just going down the line leaves you hanging out in space 20 feet from the wall(and canopy). After Maggot was pulled up and hauled out, Brian went back down for the canopy. He spends alot of his time in Yosemite and he did some kind of crazy king swing like freaking Tarzan and swung in under the roof, grabbed on and put a piece of protection in to keep him from swinging back out. From here he was able to rap down to the canopy but didn't even have time to get the canopy before wall strike #2 happened and he had to go down to get Marty.
Well, Lee and I weren't up for the Tarzan thing, so we had to come up with a different solution. Lee wanted to use his new fishing pole, so he went down the line, armed with that. He managed to snag the canopy, but the fishing line broke. He came back up the line as we were running out of daylight. I asked him if it was scary hanging out in space like that and he told me that I would find out what it felt like the next day.
I spent a rather restless night thinking about what it would be like to hang out there, but resigned myself to the task as only being fair. I had a different plan for myself. Lee showed up the next morning and I proudly showed him my grappling hook that I had fashioned out of 3 hooks from the ends of tie down straps (see picture). I had duct taped them together to form my weapon.
We got out there and Lee showed me another pulley system as well as presenting me with my very own Traxion Pro(rescue/hauling pulley). I went down the line to the canopy and yes it was freaking weird and scary. I would start to swing my grappling hook around in a circle and the motion would start to rotate me away from the canopy, so I would just keep swinging my hook until I rotated back around towards the canopy and then let fly. Eventually I managed to snag the canopy and pulled myself in to the wall. The canopy had managed to get some more lines around some different flakes and as I was pulling these, big rocks were falling down around me. Again, very weird and scary. I was finally down to the one line that Maggot was actually snagged with. What I found out was that the poker chip that is in the stabilizer(slider stop) had been wedged in so tight that I could not pull it out. I got out my trusty pocket knife and started cutting through the canopy. I knew that once I had cut all the way through, I would swing back out into space. Although at this point, I was convinced that the rope I was hanging on was not going to break or that my Gri Gri was not going to magically disintigrate, it was absolutely bizarre to cut this last piece of the canopy away and be pulled away from the rock out into space.
For those of you who saw Brian ascend the rope during the rescue, this is not how it goes. I'm not sure how he cheated, but I'm convinced that no one can ascend a free hanging rope in the time that he did. I will have to review the video, but I am pretty sure that we will be able to spot the small electric winch or the anti-gravity belt that he was using. Ascending a free hanging rope, my friends, sucks! Even with Lee sharing some of the burden by simultaneously hauling me up with the rescue pulley system.
Anyway, if you got this far in my narration, I hope you got a laugh and enjoyed the story.
A million thanks to Lee for showing me the ropes. I won't be as quick or smooth as those guys were, at least I now have the knowledge to do what we all witnessed on that Friday out at Mineral Bottom.
JP

Jimmy --

Wow.

Thank you for taking the time to share this story. It was fascinating reading and will hopefully spark some thought into people's eyes about the challenges they may face during a rescue situation. (Chad H. and I once had to rescue a friend that was hanging from a guy wire 500ft off the ground and 40ft away from the tower)

It sounds like Lee and Brian are f-ing studs. Huge kudos for their heroic efforts...

And best wishes to Maggot and Marty -- heal fast brothers!

Bryan

So in light of the wallstrikes and rescues necessary during the boogie, are we finally ready to have a free First Aid/ basic trauma assessment class at a future boogie?

First of all Chad,
You went above and beyond the call of duty at the boogie and we want to thank you. This is not the first time that you have gone out of your way to help an injured jumper. You are officially invited to any events/boogies/trips that we have in the future. You never really get to know a person until you are running side by side up a 500 foot talus. Your idea is something that I would very much like to do. Not a boogie or during a boogie, but a full on rope rescue/first responder event. Are you volunteering your EMT services? Anyone reading this, please email me at [email protected] and let me know what you can offer towards the goal of trauma assessment or wall rescue. I am thinking out here in Spring, any suggestions? I love the idea of not charging for this event.
JP

I think that's a great Idea. Have a first aid class the day before the boogie. I'm in.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

A bunch of us Brits did a two-day outdoor focussed first aid course recently; the guys who run the course normally do it for mountaineers/climbers/cavers etc but they were happy to adapt the content for our specific needs and situations. They tried to make it as realistic as possible and a lot of it was hands-on practice; we spend half a day practicing scenarios outdoors with the "patient" wearing helmets/body armour etc.

It was definitely worth doing...
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

These courses are available in the Parks and Recreation of Dept of Charleston County.

Below is the link to the actual courses. Maybe this is the type of instruction "we" are looking for.

The courses are Wilderness First Aid Responder and Rope Technician Workshop.

http://www.ccprc.com/pdf/Wtraining.pdf

This is the link to the page with the programs, look under training and workshops.

http://www.ccprc.com/qprograms.html#winter
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Hey all, this is Lee's partner in Applied Deceleration.. I'm here minding the sewing machines while Lee is off gallavanting around and doing his adventureman act... could someone get em pics or video of Lee taking part in these rescues? we just got our web site up and running and I would love to get pics or vid up.. everyone here at Skydive Dallas is extremely proud of Lee and would love to see some photographic proof of his deeds... I can be reached at 1-866-590-Sign or [email protected]

our web site is www.applieddeceleration.com

oh, and if anyone sees him bumming around, tell him to call back to the store and let us know that he's still alive..

thanks,

Tom
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

I would prefer to not bring in outside help to train ourselves as that will end up just costing everyone. I have already gotten some interest from very qualified volunteers to give instruction. Anyone else interested in instructing (not attending as a student at this point) please contact me at [email protected] It looks like a go, we just have to decide on a date and I'll post it on this forum as well as our website. Once again, this course will cover wall rescue and trauma assessment. Could someone send me Brian C's(dude's) email?
JP

Jimmy
We have spoke about this and I am happy to offer my services as a climber and an EMT.

Until then I ran thru this thought the other night while sitting at the ambulance station.
We have these little vials (pill bottle) that our company gives to elderly persons. It's called vial of life and we ask them to place medical history on the sheet and put the thing in the fridge.. well it's just not for old people and it's a great idea for everyone to have this. all EMT's know to look in or on the fridge for health info of the elderly.
Why not carry this while doing all high risk sports?

This will help us (emt's) know your med allergies, history and current scrips as well as other great info.
Get one of these things, fill it out and carry it with you, tell your buddy where it is and you know where his is at.

If your friend is out cold, can you provide his medical info? this could be a life saver!
www.greenboxphotography.com