BASE1036

You know you are busted...What to do?

Let me start by saying, if this post is out of line feel free to delete it. I am pissed and maybe should wait to post it.

I ran into a little snag last night. On a remote object, FAR from town, right before exit (780 foot LONG Climb) i noticed a vehicle pull up, not just any vehicle, a COP CAR. I wouldnt have thought anything about it BUT, A) My Car was hidden from the road, you could only see it from the A. B) I was more than 10 miles outside of town. C) Cops NEVER come out here, there is no reason.
Now to make things worse...he turns on his lights and makes the statement...We know you are up there....My first thought is Yeah Right....but then he says If you come down now, Ill let you off with a warning. Hmmmmmm I wonder......How (or does he really) know that I am up here? Any way the next words out of his mouth are...We found your car...FUCK! So he knows I am up here. I couldnt very well communicate with him without a bullhorn, so I am faced with a delima...Climb down (More dangerous in my opinion than jumping) or just jump? Full moon (almost) No wind, perfect weather...Could have jumped from ANY side of the A. SHIT SHIT SHIT. I Jumped. Cop car to the East (500-700 feet from the A) I jumped the other way, pulled ENTIRELY too close to the wires (Should have taken it down a lot further) and flew out as far as I could. Landed in the field, immediately took off my rig, and started to walk towards the cop car. As I was walking up, he asked me...what were you doing up there? Had he not seen me?Did he not know it was me that had just jumped from the A...Did he think I climbed down? After a short exchange of dumb looks and a few routine questions, and a search of my vehicle (against my better judgement) he informed that they were afraid I was a terrorist threat, but it seemed I was just a nut who liked Antennas. STILL I wondered how he knew I was up there? Then he spoke. We got a call about someone up to no good out here, and I needed to check it out. Said you were going to jump...You having some home problems? (This guy thought I was a jumper...Well I am but he thought I was a suicide jumper.) Long story short:
There is only one way he could have known I was up there. IF <edit: name of jumper removed ~TA> ASKS YOU IF HE CAN GO ON A JUMP WITH YOU.....TELL HIM TO FUCK OFF! It seems he got pissed when we told him he couldnt go out with us, and he called in the site. I havent figured out why in the hell he would do that, but when I asked him about it, all he could say was...Why should he care? I am not really sure what to do here, but I would like to pose the question:
What would you do if you knew you were busted? Jump or climb?
What should happen to this little twit? (i know you cant comment in a public forum on this)
Before you ask: NO I wasnt arrested, YES I got my gear from the field..(Later) and Yes the cop told me he could take me in for climbing the tower. and to stay off of it, ran me for warrants and let me go.
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Hmm, the only problem I see with your post is a personal attack, but *seemingly* deserving in this case. I cannot judge you or him by a single post.

Anywhoo, if I were in your shoes, would have done the same. If its impossible to communicate with authorities, then jumping is the most suitable option to get down quickest and not annoy them further. Then put on a happy face, charming smile, and apologize profusely. Beg for forgiveness, say "oops officer, I didn't know, my bad" and promise to never ever do it again. :)

I am sorry to hear that somone would really rat anyone out. you were just looking out for his well being, right? Totally uncool what you claim he most likely did. Not sure what is the right answer, but someone needs to talk to this cat.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Totally looking out for his best intrest when I told him he couldnt go. He is not even standing up his landings yet. BUT he thiks since he was able to buy a BASE rig, he is ready to go jump. I have tried every thing to educate him, and do it in a nice way, but no luck.
Daniel

Maybe showing him "the video" ... ya know the one with all the bad shit to scare the BEJesus out of him? Maybe you should get a close friend of his to talk to him?

So he has a rig... i assume no one has taught him to pack...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

1)Always jump down if its a safe jump. And if you KNOW you're busted, do what you did and walk towards the cop in a peaceful manner. Try to engineer the conversation so in the direction of just a couple of dudes chatting. Its a fine art.

2)If you KNOW you were ratted out... "hypothetically" I would punch that cocksucker rat in the nose.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Don't go to jail with a packed rig.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

You always have such an Interesting Different thought provoking way of saying things.
Daniel

Having GC there could have been a good thing for you. If no one saw you climbing and phoned it in (as you're saying wasn't the case), then the cop has their 'suspect' on the ground already. Depending on the town, though, the cop could have had IR or NV on you and picked you out. That could sound far-fetched, but it's showing up more and more these days. In any case, GC is useful for more than just when the shit REALLY goes bad.

Otherwise, I think what you did is the right thing. Walk up and make that cop your friend. Get them to laugh and you're golden.

If you did get phoned in like that...well, that's just plain fvcked and I'd be just as pissed as you are.
-C.

I did have GC there....Well actually he was on the A with me, exited right brfoe the cop pulled up, hid through out the whole ordeal.
But I do see your point about having someone else there to be a fall guy and at least protect the site/gear
Daniel

"7 days with a BASE jump makes one weak"

Dude, shouldnt that say without instead of with?

...dumass. :P

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

2)If you KNOW you were ratted out... "hypothetically" I would punch that cocksucker rat in the nose.

LMFAO

www.myspace.com/durtymac

And if you KNOW you're busted, do what you did and walk towards the cop in a peaceful manner. Try to engineer the conversation so in the direction of just a couple of dudes chatting. Its a fine art.

LOL ... and we know you're well on your way to mastering this skill.

COP: "What are you doing here?"

ABBY: "I'm just taking pictures of this building"

COP: "You're not part of Al Queda are you?"

ABBY: "Al Queda? Dude I'm Jewish and the furthest thing from them".

COP: "Okay have a good day".

:ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hmm, the only problem I see with your post is a personal attack, but *seemingly* deserving in this case. I cannot judge you or him by a single post.

Aren't personal attacks allowed if the "victim" doesn't post here?

At this point, I think there's no need to do anything else to him. Public exposure is a far more fitting and long-lasting punishment than hypothetical physical violence.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Don't go to jail with a packed rig.
~J

The answer to so many questions! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"

Totally looking out for his best intrest when I told him he couldnt go. He is not even standing up his landings yet. BUT he thiks since he was able to buy a BASE rig, he is ready to go jump. I have tried every thing to educate him, and do it in a nice way, but no luck.

You ever watch anything on what surfing locals do to outsiders at hot spots like in Hawaii when they get in the way to do something stupid. They give people beatings. Right on the beach! Those guys don’t mess around! I think the same applies. If someone called me in like that...>:( Yea fuck that buddy, your ass is going down!

Coco

P.S I don't see this as a personal attack. This is something completely deserving of payback. One of my buddies that has a good deal of jumps (but not suitable to be a mentor by the BASE community) would not take me to the tower. So I found experience jumpers and got some training. He should have done the same!

Two wrongs don’t make a right, it makes it even.

Anywhoo, if I were in your shoes, would have done the same. If its impossible to communicate with authorities, then jumping is the most suitable option to get down quickest and not annoy them further. Then put on a happy face, charming smile, and apologize profusely. Beg for forgiveness, say "oops officer, I didn't know, my bad" and promise to never ever do it again. :)

Same as I would have done.

Dude!!

That is complitly uncool!!
What a mother Fucker!!

Tard & Fefer him!!! >:(

you should start a pull to see what will be your best option for revenge!!
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

"7 days with a BASE jump makes one weak"

Dude, shouldnt that say without instead of with?

...dumass. :P

Good eyes..Thanks...(as he walks away mumbling...fucker...) hehe
Daniel

Looks like you smoothed it out just the right way, considering the circumstances.If, and I mean IF that "guy" snitched you off,you could take his equipment for awhile. I wish I would have done that once or twice.Oh CRAP! Stealing somebody's gear is illegal! How long has this guy been around? How many jumps', blah blah.

Looks like you smoothed it out just the right way, considering the circumstances.If, and I mean IF that "guy" snitched you off,you could take his equipment for awhile. I wish I would have done that once or twice.Oh CRAP! Stealing somebody's gear is illegal! How long has this guy been around? How many jumps', blah blah.

Maybe the manufacturers should stop selling gear and instead distribute it only as part of a long-term lease with a provision for surrender of the gear under certain circumstances.

Then it wouldn't be illegal.

Edited to add: But it would be a real can of worms otherwise.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Jumping isn't illegal. Being on the tower (trespassing) was already done. By jumping, you haven't committed any additional crime. In theory, it shouldn't be any worse to jump down than to climb down.

That said, I had a friend who jumped in a similar situation, and it made the cops very angry. They (and the DA) then proceeded to try to nail him with every imaginable charge. I think if he had walked down to them he probably would have gotten off a lot lighter.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Jumping isn't illegal. Being on the tower (trespassing) was already done. By jumping, you haven't committed any additional crime. In theory, it shouldn't be any worse to jump down than to climb down.

That said, I had a friend who jumped in a similar situation, and it made the cops very angry. They (and the DA) then proceeded to try to nail him with every imaginable charge. I think if he had walked down to them he probably would have gotten off a lot lighter.

So pretty much it depends entirely on the cop you get stuck with.

Coco

So pretty much it depends entirely on the cop you get stuck with.

I would have to say yes... which is why the aftermath is so important. My personal rule is: if seen, then fess up and look sorry and sad. If unseen, hide!