velocityphoto

Internal handle pilot chutes

I'm looking for a 46 or 48 and a 42 with internal handle and large hole mesh apex ? Can anybody help me here ,ive been looking thru web sites but am not finding what i want. Also need some stiffy toggles with wlo line release mod ?
Thanks

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

What's your reason for wanting an internal handle on a PC that big?

Most BASE gear manufacturers will put a handle in there if you call them up.

I'm looking for a 46 or 48 and a 42 with internal handle and large hole mesh apex ?

CR made these custom for a friend of mine a while back. I'd guess that Asylum could make them for you with no problem. As an aside, I think the floating handle is better than the internal handle in all respects, and feels identical to the user.

Also need some stiffy toggles with wlo line release mod ?

Morpheus makes them. I believe Rob calls them High Puller Big Grabs.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I,m just more comfortable jumping lower stuff stowed with a 48 or 46 ,but i don't have one with an internal handle ,and those soft handles i don't like because i cant get a good grip on them like i'd like to feel . And i just trashed my 48 soft handle last night on a tree.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

The way I packy my PC's, having an internal handle in there wouldn't make a difference to me. I end up with a hard ball at the end of the BOC which makes pulling the PC out really easy.

So, how was the jump?

Whats an internal handle PC and what is the purpose??

PC with the handle sewn to the inside of the topskin, rather than the outside (which is the "traditional" handle location).

The idea is to reduce snag potential.

I like the floating handle (handle not attached to the PC at all) better.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I like the floating handle (handle not attached to the PC at all) better.

Exactly - it's there when you need it, and it's NOT there when you don't need it.

I,m just more comfortable jumping lower stuff stowed with a 48 or 46 ,but i don't have one with an internal handle ,and those soft handles i don't like because i cant get a good grip on them like i'd like to feel . And i just trashed my 48 soft handle last night on a tree.

48" PC *stowed* for low stuff? How low are you talking about, and how are you packicg your 48" PC into the BOC?
just out of curiosity.
cheers,
pope

I quesion the same thing. I've had this discussion before but let's wait to see what the reply is before we continue.

To each his own I guess.

If I'm using a 46" it means no more than 1 sec of FF so why going stowed? If it's no more than 1 sec of FF means I'm low and why risking a PC hesitation?

Again to each his own...
Memento Audere Semper

Could a difficult exit point be a factor in going stowed? Climing or holding on to a railing. Just a though. I personally wouldn't go stower at that short of a delay.

Just for stuff like 350 and up ,moab stuff...
I hope i get to make it there this year for turkey boogie anyways.......

how long delays do you plan doing whith a 46-48 stowed?
I think you should go handled instead if you want to use them big pc´s at thouse altitudes..
Actualy i think you should try using a 42 off that altitude..

Not only your large pc´s has a greater chance to hesitate if you pack them stowed but a stuck pc in the BOC will pretty much also ruin your day..
then considder the damegede you can do to your gear if you take longer delays than 1 sec off 350ft by a 46-48´

ive seen 42´used on a unvented canopy and velcrorig off 230ft whith a 1 sec delay and he got good canopy flights aswell,he had to as he used my pc:P

Reconsidder the way you use your gear,perhaps your not ready to be stowed off fix objects yet,its not a foolish thing to go handheld..

Just to not i just in the late 100jumps range started going stowed and when ever i feel for it ill go handheld...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I am jumping a vented flik 293 with the multi ,i plan on using the 42 most of the time ,only the 46 for 1 to 2 seconds from no lower than 350.If im jumping lower than 350 for sure they will be handheld.

I am jumping a vented flik 293 with the multi ,i plan on using the 42 most of the time ,only the 46 for 1 to 2 seconds from no lower than 350.If im jumping lower than 350 for sure they will be handheld.

Yo, on that note.
Saturday, while doing a 350ft platfrom on an A. Jumper stowed 48" with a Vented Flik 293 no multi. I saw him drag the PC for awhile before he actually got linestrech ( pitch after 1 sec of freefall ). From what it looked like :

the PC took it's time getting bridle strech ( heavy PC )
the PC took it's time inflating (big PC ?)

I went handheld 2 second 46" - no hesitation. I had a 3 sec longer canopy flight than him, and we both flew an identical pattern.

I have been having this issue a bit ,seams others think my vented flik is taking too long to open .Maybe it is due to the extra 3 ft length in bridle with the multi attachment???

I have been having this issue a bit ,seams others think my vented flik is taking too long to open .Maybe it is due to the extra 3 ft length in bridle with the multi attachment???

not sure what you are referring to. But, from my personal assumtions, the scenario I saw was caused by having too big of a pilot chute and too short of a delay. I am not saying that a longer delay should of been taken with a 48 - just that higher airspeed would of sped the PC inflation up. Also, like I said in a previous post the PC also took it's time unfolding from the shape it was in when it came out of the BOC. I PERSONALLY, and from my limited experience think that if you want to jump a big PC handheld at a low (not super low - no experience/opinion) alti, and get the canopy out fast, you should leave the ZP material exposed, thus letting the skirt cartch air right from the beginning of the freefall ( obviously short freefalls, I believe carnage was caused by having the PC inflate on a long delay and having the jumper flip over or something close to that - somebody please correct me if I am wrong )
By all means, these are my opinions and assumptions based on what I have seen, and how I understand the gear - if I am wrong, I most definatly would like to know where and how.

tnx

P.S. I don't think the extra length the multi gives can inhibit the PC inflation speed - I would just imagine that by having a longer bridle one places the PC further away from the burble ( which is the reason why BASE has been using longer 9ft bridles in a first place) - again, please correct me if I am wrong.

i did a 235 ft bridge last winter and had a long opening on it . but i used 80 lb break tape on it attached at the end of my bridle ,and it took an unusually long time to open according to 2 other witnesses and myself .

Lonnie,
Hows it going.
I have 80 jumps stowed with a 48. I love it. I can show how to pack it so there is a nice hard "ball" to grab. It feels just like an internal handle. I can think of many reasons to go stowed with a 48. Going hand held is the same as leaving with a horse shoe Malfunction!

Faber,
What damage to gear can occoure if you take too long of a delay with an over sized PC? I have used a 48 for up to 5 sec and have seen no signs unusual of wear or significant change in opening.

Have a good one,
Nate

...I PERSONALLY, and from my limited experience think that if you want to jump a big PC handheld at a low (not super low - no experience/opinion) alti, and get the canopy out fast, you should leave the ZP material exposed

I certainly don't think you ought to leave it in a mushroom. I see people using this kind of technique all the time (taking the mushroom out of the BOC and just holding it directly). In my opinion, it's ok for longer delays, but for very low airspeed (like go and throw) jumps, it's just asking for a hesitation. My experience has been that both stowed go and throws and handheld mushroom go and throws experience approximately the same hesitation rate, which I'd say is about 1 in 20 (for a noticeable hesitation).

I'm not a fan of the "leave the ZP out" technique either, because I think it can make it harder to pitch the PC to full bridle extension. But I certainly think it's less prone to hesitation than either a stowed jump or a hand held mushroom.

I would just imagine that by having a longer bridle one places the PC further away from the burble ( which is the reason why BASE has been using longer 9ft bridles in a first place)

I think that the primary reason to have longer bridles is to generate more snatch force at low airspeed. Initially, I think this was an effort to combat the greater pull force required to open a velcro rig (versus pins).

The burble from a subterminal body is nowhere near 9 feet. It's not even close to 6 feet. You don't need that much bridle to escape the tiny burble of a slider down BASE jump (remember that the size of the burble is proportional to the fall rate--it grows to full size only at terminal, and at a zero airspeed [exit] it is non-existent).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've seen some pretty bad center cell strip taking bigger PC's to longer delays. I've got some video of a 42 at terminal where the whole pack job is trashed by the time it gets to line stretch.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com