shah269

Hard openings are a function of....

There's a Canadian Urban myth that is propragated by the guys from CSPA that the size of elastics contribuates to the opening speed. Can anybody confirm or deny it. I think that give the fact that we have elastic free bags the value of this myth is questionable.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

There's a Canadian Urban myth that is propragated by the guys from CSPA that the size of elastics contribuates to the opening speed. Can anybody confirm or deny it. I think that give the fact that we have elastic free bags the value of this myth is questionable.

I can tell you that the amount of tension will effect how hard your canopy reaches line stretch, as well as your pc, a big zp pilot chute will cause a good pop on line stretch. I myself pack with really short bites on the linestows. And when my PC's are new you do get a good pop after you pitch and then a snivel. If I use a packer they usually use a lot more bite on the stows and I can feel it. But I now use a stowless bag and it opens great.

I have a lot of jumps wearing video of openings, and one thing that caused hard openings was a small off heading opening where the twist was up high. This was just enough to hold the slider from catching air but allowed the canopy to open, thus not allowing the slider to function like it was designed. Think of the twist holding the grommets together. but not enough twist to slow the slider from coming down. somewhere around a 180 or a 90.

The reason I use really short stows is I have over 3000 jumps on my canopy without a line twist, Ill trade a pop and a snivel for a line twist.

If your canopy constantly has hard openings, then it probably needs a reline, or at least a control line replacement.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Hard openings are a function of....

Mesh slider, new zero-P fabric, one stow, and a canopy designed to open quickly.

Oh yeah, body position.

I bet THAT will clear out the sinuses huh Top? ;)

If you're not careful, it can clear your colon too! That's why we went to slower opening canopies, not that flexible anymore!

Jump more, post less!

Improper tightening of the straps on your rig. Specifically leg straps

As was the case with myself many A licensees will improperly wear their rig with too loose of leg straps thinking it will be more comfortable under canopy. They then start experiencing "hard openings" when their chest strap keeps wolloping them on the chin upon opening and then they think, "Man, that was a hard opening." it isn't actually a hard opening just improperly worn gear.

Just a lesson learned the hard way, this and the obvious previously mentioned reasons for hard openings.