mostwanted

buy base-canopy to be my main-skydiving-canopy?

what is your opinion about this:

i wanted to get into base for some years now. i made my AFF-course this year. now i want to buy my first SKYDIVING-rig to practice for base very hard. i want to buy a zero porosity base-canopy to be my main-skydiving-canopy to work on all the base-relevant skills (from packing to landing) in the next years - i plan to do 100 skydiving-jumps next year followed by another 100 skydiving-jumps the year after next year.

• would that be a good idea?

• what about using that base-canopy after e.g. 250 (terminal-velocity-)skydives for my base-jumps? (of course in combination with a base-container!)

• which base-canopy would you recommend for this project?

• should i buy a new or an used base-canopy?

• which container would you use for SKYDIVING that base-canopy?

• is it possible to install RSL on a base-canopy-skydiving-container-system?

• how would you pack the base-canopy (into the skydiving-container) for skydiving - like a skydiving-canopy or like as you would base-jump it?

basicly i dont think you should go buy a BASE canopy to practice whith.. a Raven or other similar 7cell canopyes in the bigger range should offer you alot of experience aswell and are much cheapere(if you get a used one)

Jumping canopyes out of planes on a regular basis should be packed like a normal skydive canopy(into a bag whith sail slider on),feeling the "BANG" aint somthing you´ll need to practice,its the pilot skills under the flying canopy that matters..

Learn how to land acurate EACH time you land(deside already before you enter the plane..).

Practice how to correct your headding under canopy while having line twists(simply just twist it 2-3 times after you got an open main,then climb up and try turn the canopy,then untwist afterwards.

Learn how to land safely on rear risers only(many inkluding me has broken bones due this as we werent prepared)

if theres some CRW guys arround hang arround whith them,they know more about canopy control than most skydivers does(besides swoopers aswell ofcourse).

Learn how to land in stressfull envioments.

Any larger harness should fit the gear

I would pack the canopy as i would do on any other skydives..

Any rigger can modify a pair of risers to a RSL system,it has nothing to do whith the canopy.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

thanks faber for your interesting and helpful reply!

i read this "do-it-with-your-base-canopy-thing" in the base-wiki (>getting into base>skydiving).

i see, that there might be different opinions concerning this question.

concerning the price of base-canopy vs. other 7-cell-canopies:

i thought: "why should i buy another 7-cell-canopy (e.g. raven), when i will have to buy my base-canopy in 2 or 3 years anyway - let's do it with a base-canopy right from the start and use it afterwards for base!"

is the price the only doubt you have?

***Jumping canopyes out of planes on a regular basis should be packed like a normal skydive canopy(into a bag whith sail slider on),feeling the "BANG" aint somthing you´ll need to practice,its the pilot skills under the flying canopy that matters.. ***

as i do not have any knowledge about packing a base-canopy here maybe a silly question:

isn't there the possibility to make a "base-pack-job" with slider on to prevent the BANG? what about terminal-velocity-base-jumps? do you have that BANG also on "terminal-velocity-base-jump-pack-jobs" (if such a thing exists...)?

(is this what is termed "slider down" or "slider up", or is this something else?)

Scary how close our answers are... I wrote this earlier but left in a hurry before posting... here it is.

I"ll answer specifically then offer my opinion.

• would that be a good idea?

• It's not a BAD Idea.But, unless you find a cheap used one in the appropriatte size, something like a Super Raven would be cheaper. Buy a new(er) BASE specific canpopy later.

A canopy with 250 jumps isn't necessarily worn out. I've seen many go longer but think of the beating a BASE canopy takes. Wait until later to buy a BASE canopy. Jump it a few times out of an airplane, then BASE jump it. (disclaimer added ... learn to BASE through proper channles)

An RSL connects to the riser so any skydiving setup can have an RSL if you so desire.

Any skydiving rig that's large enough to hold either your BASE canopy, or a large Super raven is fine. An old Vector II, a Student rig .. anything really. If you plan to freefly in it, well, it's going to be big, and it must then be freefly ready so that will be the limiting factor.

If you plan to skydive the canopy many times, pack it in a d-bag as normal
    -----------

For now, I wouldn't worry too much about BASE specific skydiving. If it truly is your only goal, that's fine but give skydiving a try for a while.

Big skydiving canopies become fairly boring, however, if you do dial one in, when you begin BASE jumping, the transition will be a much easier one.

CReW is the best discipline to learn canopy flight however it may not be your discipline of choice. Do some CReW for a while regardless.

I would suggest an appropriatly sized skydiving rig and canopy suitable for freeflying. Simply go skydive. Do RW, freestyle, tracking... etc... Really learn to track. It comes in handy if you choose to jump tall objects. Become proficient. You may like it.

Go get used to skydiving and have fun. Skydiving has a lot to offer. If you simply don't wish to skydive for skydiving sake, then by all means, get that big 7 cell However, learn how to skydive proficiently.

Hope that helps.
    My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i thought: "why should i buy another 7-cell-canopy (e.g. raven), when i will have to buy my base-canopy in 2 or 3 years anyway - let's do it with a base-canopy right from the start and use it afterwards for base!"

is the price the only doubt you have?

Price is certainly a cosideration. I suggest this ==> Don't wear out your BASE canopy skydiving with it.

You can often find a used Raven 3 or 4 for cheap. I found my my used Raven III for only a couple hundred bucks.

If you've priced out a new BASE canopy, it's not cheap. Used ones are available so if you do find one for a decent price, you might as well grab it.

BASE canopies can easily be packed up to open slower.

I've added some of my thoughts on BASE WIKI.

I disagree with Hookitt that skydiving a large canopy is boring. It might not be as hot and sexy as swooping, but I get a huge kick out of improving my accuracy skills. Accuracy is a lot more fun on a large canopy that you can really sink like a mofo.

If you disagree... then you are wrong.

Just kidding.:P

Here's how it should read.... Big skydiving canopies may become fairly boring.

But I see your point, especially as a new skydiver that has so much to learn under canopy. I too like shooting accuracy and such, but I gotta tell ya, flying a skydiving canopy is a lot of fun.

I too like shooting accuracy and such, but I gotta tell ya, flying a skydiving canopy is a lot of fun.

Yeah, for sure. I was recently flying my Sabre 170 after having done about 20 jumps on my 260 BASE canopy. After it scared the crap out of me, I quickly realized how much fun it can be. I'll never have the balls or lack of brains to get into swooping though... ;)

I'll never have the balls or lack of brains to get into swooping though...

From your profile:

Number of Jumps: 229

hehehe... sure... you say that now. Mark this date and when you begin swooping, refer back;)

hehehe... sure... you say that now. Mark this date and when you begin swooping, refer back

That would imply I actually continue skydiving a whole lot. Unfortunately, when given a choice between hanging out on the DZ for an entire day and doing only 3 or 4 jumps, or going climbing, hiking, surfing, skiing or kayaking all day, the choice is easy.

Having too many fun things to do is one of the better problems to have in life.... :D

That's 2 good points in one day. Keep that roll going!

Ok... breaks over... heading back out to the redneck trailer.

That would imply I actually continue skydiving...

That's hard to do when someone has your canopy huh? :D I'll return it as soon as I get a chance to jump it again. Hopefully right after Bridge Day if that's still cool?

if you skydive your BASE canopy nowfor 1-2 years(depending on how much you progress),at the point were you want to take up BASE you have used the BASE canopy so much that it might aint ok for BASE anylonger..plus at that point the market probaly give you a other BASE canopy that you rather try out..in that case you just used a 7cell F-111 canopy that as´well could have been a Raven or similar.
Nah just buy the Raven practice till it die,then when you want to take up BASE buy a set of gear and take the canopy skydiving learning that canopy.

IF you want to pack your skydive canopy in a BASE manner by mesh slider,you will experience that you dont want too long delays as Terminal opens up BANG,no matter.

Use a sail slider and a bag,that way you also can freefly RW or what ever you want to.
Rember skydiving is still fun if you explore it.

Jaap,i think its a cool thing that you run WIKI but i think its wrong of you posting that you posted your answer there,forcing people to visit your site.
Just a light slap into your face,and still waiting your visit this october,were are you??:ph34r:

EDIT:mostwanted as you found it at WIKI you might want to post it there aswell,or didnt i see it? Blinc is also a resource

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

thank you all for your interesting and helpful replies!

@faber: yes, i already posted a comment on base-wiki, and just some hours later there has been setup a new topic "skydiving a BASE canopy".

that was the article jaab refered to. i may be wrong, but i guess to link to such an artikel should be ok - but i am not sure...

...it was helpful anyway!

Price is certainly a cosideration. I suggest this ==> Don't wear out your BASE canopy skydiving with it.

You can often find a used Raven 3 or 4 for cheap. I found my my used Raven III for only a couple hundred bucks.

If price were not an issue, the ideal solution would be to purchase 2 BASE canopies--one to skydive with and one to BASE jump with. Just buy one, skydive the snot out of it, then when you are ready, buy a new one for BASE. If the canopies were identical, it would give you a big advantage in knowing the canopy pretty well right off the bat. You could reduce the costs of this strategy by finding a used, older BASE canopy for skydiving.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I don't know how much you weigh so I don't know what size canopy you'll need, but there is a Raven 282 with a Neo 2-pin rig on eBay for $1000 starting bid. The guy told me he bought it from dropzone.com and needs to resell it to get his money pronto! If that canopy is a decent size for you, it could be a good deal....

I already called the builder of the Neo to tell him it was there...strange to see base gear on eBay.

Peace and good luck!
Karen

Jaap, I think its a cool thing that you run WIKI but I think it's wrong of you posting that you posted your answer there, forcing people to visit your site.

I agree. This BASE WIKI thing is new, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I'm thinking next time I will write my post here. Then, when the thread has died down, I can collect all the information from everybody and throw it over to the WIKI (if it's useful).

Just a light slap into your face, and still waiting your visit this october, were are you?

Unemployed, broke, and in Canada. I'm waiting for my new work-visa so I can make money again, and then travel again.

Jaap, I think its a cool thing that you run WIKI but I think it's wrong of you posting that you posted your answer there, forcing people to visit your site.

I agree. This BASE WIKI thing is new, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I'm thinking next time I will write my post here. Then, when the thread has died down, I can collect all the information from everybody and throw it over to the WIKI (if it's useful).

Well, I disagree with both of you.

If Jaap can't link to the WIKI, then are the rest of us also supposed to discontinue using links for the purpose of providing information? Or is this a special rule that only applies to Jaap, Faber? (If it is, then please feel free to continue busting his ass.)

I mean, I appreciate the effort it takes to click the mouse and all (not to mention the precious seconds wasted it takes for page to load)...never mind...I'm too tired tonight for high-quality sarcasm.

Just a light slap into your face, and still waiting your visit this october, were are you?

Next time, hit him harder.

rl

P.S. Don't take the lack of smileys to heart. Unfortunately, there are none available on this board that signify , or (That last, Faber, is a damn spanking, which you have surely earned recently.)
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Jaap,i think its a cool thing that you run WIKI but i think its wrong of you posting that you posted your answer there,forcing people to visit your site.

if Jaap's links jumped to a commercial filled website, I'd agree.

the WIKI attempts to collect the common wisdom. links to it should be viewed as linking to another thread on this website. no more, no less.

the beauty of the WIKI is that it organizes the information, making it easier to find... and it leaves out digressions like this one!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

The difference is between whether the resource already exists, or whether it's still being created.

If there is an existing article somewhere, or the wiki has an existing page on it, I think linking is totally appropriate.

If the page isn't there yet, it's probably better to keep the discussion here, to avoid the risk of carrying the discussion over to the wiki. These forums are a great resource, and BASE WIKI in no way intends to compete with that.

Discussions needs to happen here. Then, when threads die down, we can consider to take the useful and lasting information out of it and move it over to an appropriate page on the wiki.

My two cents... I'm sure there will be some wrinkles that need to be ironed out in the process.

it wasnt to diss Jaap at all i think he has a great web,i know he knows that i mean that :P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It wasn't to diss Jaap at all, I think he has a great web, I know he knows that I mean that.

I know exactly what you mean, and for the tenth time, I don't want to sleep with you Faber! >:(

...;)

belive me you wont be abel to sleep.. or sit for the next few weeks after that..cut your hair and ill get another belif:P

good to have you back B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I started BASE jumping with a clapped out Cruiselite when you wanted a canopy with a few hundred jumps on it to soften up the slider down stuff. Finding a Peggy, Raven, or Unit with three hundred jumps for 300 bucks was the Jenny in the Barn to early BASE jumpers.

I've jumped more than a few demo BASE canopies from BR that probably had a few hundred BASE jumps on them. These canopies lead the life of a rental car and BASE manufacturers get valuable data by watching how they hold up. I would think if this fellow bought a single generally accepted BASE canopy and put 150 slider up skydives on it, he would still have a viable canopy for the next hundred BASE jumps.

In the old days we always put a 1000 jumps on a square before even thinking it was clapped out. The modern BASE canopy has more in common with those old war horses than some smaller and more modern wings that have line trim problems at 250 jumps. With a big docile seven cell if the trim is off you just learn to lean a little more in one direction and that's the end of that . . .

NickD :)BASE 194