avenfoto

bounce ethics...

Not at you nicknitro, but in general. 70% of the jumpers I saw In Norway had video. add this attachment you all to this question.,
take care,
space

A bounce is a crime scene - taking the rig is tampering with evidence. Making an accident look like a suicide may save "The List" from getting another number - big deal. It would also bring grief and turmoil to the families of the deceased jumper. There may even be implications for life insurance pay-outs that don't cover suicide but do cover jumpers for accidental death. By removing the rig you just may cost the jumpr's next-of-kin many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Don't do it.:( It serves no point.:( It's a crime.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

I'm with Gary on that one. We must let the chips fall where they may. Because we shine most of the time the truth can never hurt us.

NickD :)BASE 194

avenfoto,

I just wanted to thank you for posting this question... It's been really interesting to see so many viewpoints!

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

I seriously doubt a rig could be removed from a body without leaving forensic traces of tampering, and you'd probably even leave evidence of your person as well.....ok, maybe I've been watching too much cable CSI...

But as also mentioned, even though protecting BASE is a high priority for most of us, taking the rig off a dead jumper is probably not the way to do so. Tampering with a crime scene, grand larceny, obstructing a death investigation...these are not light charges. And the insurance aspect is valid; I don't know of any life insurance policies that cover suicide, and each carrier has it's own rules about parachuting activities. The loved ones left behind don't need to be further traumatized by a supposed "suicide" or a messy media circus because a friend tried to cover up the BASE jump.

Personally, since I have no criminal record, no priors, am not on probation, don't work for any government agency, or have any other reason to hide from the truth, I'd stay with the fallen jumper. I would hold his/her hand and see if I could sense anything of what might be occurring on a spiritual level and face the authorities with as much peace and calm as possible. How we handle these types of situations is an excellent opportunity to show the authorities and public our true selves and begin to redefine how our activity is viewed and accepted. Why are the authorities afraid of letting us jump in the National Parks? Perhaps many of them are afraid that if our friend died in the meadow we'd just split, leaving the destroyed body lying there for some family to discover on their early morning hike.

Now that BASE has come out from underground (sorry Nick!) it's time for us to consider how our actions augment that trend. Do we want to look like careless bandits just out for a good time? Or do we want to look like a brotherhood of people that find freedom in jumping and are caring and responsible adults with integrity and ethics?

I'm grateful to have learned from the original BASE generation, and I'm also glad to be on the wave of where BASE is heading in the days and years to come. The discrimination we suffer is not just based on non-jumper's natural fear of falling, we have also given them fuel for the fire with some of our past responses to these situations.

It's up to us to give "them" a different view of who and what we are.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Peace,
K

I agree with Karen !
When I decide to start to jump with another base jumper, I accept in this precise instant the risk to my friend may to death or injured... otherwise jump alone!
I'm waiting the rescue team with my friend death or injured;
Just my opinion!

Call the cops and ride it out. As taught to me the most experience person on the load always stays. If there are others on the load, they can make a getaway with the gear.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I personnally could never leave anyone behind. Being in the military has made that resenate in my mind more. I will take the arrest, fines, and court. I can make more money, I can not however replace my concious. I will always stay and help however I can.

Bryan

If I jump with you, I'm not leaving you period.

There's no way. We're in it together until we're drinking beer and watching the video. Even if you're dead, I will sit by you and wait until someone shows up.

second that...if youre dead then ill still drink a beer with you and show you the video...until the cops turn of course:o
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com