ariefourie

North Eiger BASE

I will appreciate it if someone can give me information (contact details of persons or clubs in the region) on BASE jumping the North Eiger in Switzerland.

Thanks

Arie Fourie [email][email protected]

Ahoy!

As jy nog steeds in Suid Afrika is, kan jy met Jules of Erik (altwee in Kaapstad) praat. Hulle het die ding al klaar gespring!

t-o-t

Did you mean the North face of eiger?
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Of jy kan vir Yuri (Outrager) vra, hy ken daai plek fokken goed.

Moenie so fokken vloek nie!:P

Not sure what face of the Eiger it is, but Eric, and I think Moe too did a Trango type thing there in the early 90s. They are up pretty high, with a short freefall . . . and a longish canopy ride.

NickD :)BASE 194

It's jumped fairly regularly now.

Don't tell Eric or Moe, but the "first" jumpers to do it were sponsored by Red Bull, and did a giant expedition and publicity thing there, along with an hour long documentary.

After which it came out that the previous "first" jumpers, sponsored by Sector, had also shot a documentary about their jumps there, a few years prior.

Both of which were, I suspect, some time after the jumpers you named above.

I think we need a book just for fact checking the sponsored expeditions. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Don't tell Eric or Moe, but the "first" jumpers to do it were sponsored by Red Bull, and did a giant expedition and publicity thing there, along with an hour long documentary.

After which it came out that the previous "first" jumpers, sponsored by Sector, had also shot a documentary about their jumps there, a few years prior.

Both of which were, I suspect, some time after the jumpers you named above.

The Book says "DANS LES YEUX D’ISABELLE" exit on the North Wall was opened by Dominique Gleizes on 19 June 1990.

The Mushroom exit was opened by Ueli Gegenschatz and Hannes Arch on 18 June 2000.

Tom, do you have any specific info on any jumps "in between"? I have looked into this particular piece of history over the summer, and haven't heard of anybody doing the shroom before Ueli and Hannes. All French and Swiss jumpers i've asked agree with The Book.

There is a huge, enormous piece of modern BASE history - hundreds of cliffs jumped all over Europe starting in the early '90th, that is almost entirely unknown to the outside world. There are also very good reasons it stayed that way.

bsbd!

Yuri.

P.S. Edited to add:

I think we need a book just for fact checking the sponsored expeditions.

The Book exists since 1992.

There's a thread here. Unfortunately, multiple forum changes have wiped out most of the names of the posters, making them all "guest."

But that thread reports:

"Eric Jones is Eiger #1. The jump was made in late 1989 and a photo of it was published in the Fixed Object Journal in 1990. "

"In 1990, a french guys jumped from the middle, near the mushroom, with a snowboard."
"In 1994, a Sector Team, with Ruby jerome and Rhem dedé, was on the mushroom."

I'm assuming that the second is the one you are referring to. The third one has the jumpers names and sponsor, so I assume it's reasonably accurate, as I'd have expected someone to call foul with that much data if it hadn't checked out.

According to that thread, the first jumper exited from a lower point.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com