pBASEtobe

BASE Won't Get You Women

Do you think so? Interesting...tell me why...please!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Ha ha, funny!!!!! Get it. . . .. . . . . Ah forget it, I'll stick with my day job. :S

But since you are serious, I was specifically referring to the common situation whereby a relationship between a male BASE jumper and female non jumper evolves to a level where a greater expectation of commitment has developed. Often, the female partner becomes so emotionally dependant on her male partner (and visa versa), that she develops an underlying fear of cessation of said relationship. She then creates an expectation of total self preservation which may includes such needs as risk minimisation, increasing time commitments, etc. Often the male partner is forced to make a decision between his personal fulfillment needs and the expectaions of his partner. This may lead to either withdrawal from all activities that may compromise his partners fears (such as BASE jumping) or termination of the relationship. Hence, my comment.

No, it was not referring to a chick bouncing or something silly like that.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

and chill out :)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

All the more reason for jumpers to date other jumpers...at least we understand...

blue skies

All the more reason for jumpers to date other jumpers...at least we understand...

If only it was that simple. How about being forced to remain single since the ratio of men to women in this sport favors the fairer sex.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Oh but it is that simple...go to a new DZ and find a little cutie...Trust me there are plenty of us that are single, and are so damn cool we jump out of airplanes, off bridges/towers, balloons, helicopters....;)

Ha ha, funny!!!!! Get it. . . .. . . . . Ah forget it, I'll stick with my day job. :S

No career in couples counseling for you either. Sheesh! Tom. You're usually brilliant.

Y'know, we all know that it is human nature to be somehow...better...at the beginning of a relationship. Everyone does it, but some do it...more. Still, the signs are always there, if one is not so besotted as to ignore them completely. The woman who made her ex-boyfriend/husband quit bowling because it took too much time that should have been devoted to her/the family is no different than the woman who cries danger about BASE, skydiving, iceboating, you name it. It's not about the risk of the activity, it's about control.

The guy a woman falls in love with comprises all that he does and all that he is--not just certain parts. And unlike his really weird personal habits or strange ideas about the world which never come out until it's way too late, the activities he chooses are right out there in front from the beginning. The change from acceptance to objection is about having grown more confident about one's power to force another into line, not about loving someone.

I know non-skydiving wives who pack for their husbands--and one who even accompanied her husband, cheering all the way, to his first Bridge Day. I know a non-skydiving husband who periodically goes to the dz for the day with his wife. Sure they worry some, but I don't think any more so than the wife whose husband drives in commuter traffic every day.

We protect our children because they are not cognizant of danger, and that is, indeed, loving behavior. As soon as you start treating your lover like a child, though, you need to take a look at yourself and ask yourself why you need that kind of power. And if someone is trying to control you, you need to realize that it will never end with the first thing you give up, because it's not about the activity per se, but about the ability to control what you do and when you do it.

Sorry. This is just one of the last really raw nerves I have.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

blue skies

I am really and truly sorry for being a dead horse beater, and I am not jumping on you, just on the generally accepted assumption that underlies your totally innocent comment.

It has nothing to do with understanding BASE or whatever activity it happens to be. It is about understanding that if you love someone, you don't try to take from them the things that make them happy--even if it means that one day one of those things might take them from you.

You own one life and you control one life--your own. Any other lives entrusted to you are for loving, nurturing, sharing, enjoying, but it is never for you to determine the road those lives travel. It is only for you to be grateful that for at least a time, you were able to share the road.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It is only for you to be grateful that for at least a time, you were able to share the road.

Beautiful.

I have been completely negligent in not falling in love with you before, Rhonda.

Damn, I love brainy chicks...;)

You accept people for who they are when you fall for them. If they smoke when you fell in love, you accepted their smoke; nagging wont hack it. And on up the scale to less unimportant factors.

Thank you, Rhonda, for your post. Just my deepest respect.
You made me thinking of your words the entire evening...
How to keep it real is a different question.:)
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

How to keep it real is a different question.:)

The answer to which is this:

You tell the truth, even when it sucks. You face the truth even when it is so painful, you think it will kill you. Small fibs intended to spare feelings tend to turn into huge lies that hurt worse and do more damage than one tiny truth. Worse yet, a truth told after all the lies is never really trusted.

The damage this does is often insurmountable. At the least, it accounts for a lot of yelling and tears and wasted time.

How to keep it real is not complicated, Lika, but it is the hardest of all things to do. And most of us are bad at it.

rl

You tell the truth, even when it sucks.

So true. You start doing this, and after a while you begin to realize that you're less stressed, you sleep better, you're more efficient, you're kinder to the people around you, and they respect your opinion more because they know you'd also tell them if it wasn't nice.

Rhonda for president!

Meanwhile, I'll go back to the bonfire.

You don't have to date another jumper to be ahppy, you just have to date someone who's as much into their hobby and interests as you are. Deosnt' matter if its scuba, rock-climbing, horse-riding, whatever.

As long as you're both occupied enough and don't mind doing your own thing over the w/e's, you tend to get by fine....;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Is that an offer???

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

My dear friend, you have assumed that skychick was only talking hetero. There's lots of spunky blokes out there!!!! :D

It was just an observation of other people. I don't necessarily think like that.

I would have 2000 BASE jumps now if I didn't have a wife and two adorable little kids.

It was not so much a sacrifice as a change in commitment. And it is my choice.

One thing certainly happens. As you Progress from single to married to children, the level of pressure from your partner and family increases wrt to your involvement in activities which are perceived as risky.

p.s. I can't do marriage counselling anyway. I have not been divorced yet. Isn't that on of the prerequisites? ;)

You're such an ass-kisser Dennis.

I know your m.o. You Navy boys are all the same. A girl in every port, right? Soften them up and then move in for the kill. Good luck.

My m.o. is every port on every girl...

Ms Kirk is as full of shit as an Indian toilet. I doubt she even knows any BASE jumpers.

I can testify that due to BASE and BASE alone, I have seen more ass than Charmin. Chicks dig guys with large marbles and scars.

The whole emotional thing is purely secondary..ie "fuck, I'm happy to be alive after that 180...let's get it on..."

None of you have me fooled.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

You're such an ass-kisser Dennis.

I know your m.o. You Navy boys are all the same. A girl in every port, right? Soften them up and then move in for the kill. Good luck.

My m.o. is every port on every girl...

Ms Kirk is as full of shit as an Indian toilet. I doubt she even knows any BASE jumpers.

I can testify that due to BASE and BASE alone, I have seen more ass than Charmin. Chicks dig guys with large marbles and scars.

The whole emotional thing is purely secondary..ie "fuck, I'm happy to be alive after that 180...let's get it on..."

None of you have me fooled.

You've been locked up with the dogs too long, m'love.

I don't think it's me who's constipated. ;) And Tom did mention in another thread he thought you're going to 'splode.

Next time Dennis gets to DeLand, we'll have a beer in your honor. Then, if it pleases you to send pictures of the large marbles and scars, we'll endeavor to line up some ports for you.

Hugs n orifices,
rl

Whew. For a minute there I didnt think Rhonda realized I had asked her out. Now Im hooked for a beer in Florida...plus some really good...um...conversation.

Poor Skinflint. Those nude girl photos NOT showing up in E-mails anymore? No???

Next time I get through Skincinnati there is a mandatory jump coming, Jase, currency or not. Excuses which dont work: my wife said I cant go. Excuses which work: my wife said I cant go.

:|

How sweet!

I, however, have never asked a chick out without her realizing it. We gotta hook up soon brother. You need some help.

I'll take you to a titty bar and show you what a womans breasts look like.

Did you get left on guard duty when the boat came home?

A flick is long overdue...next time you're north on I65 we'll talk...about why you're still a virgin.
;)

PS I've heard RLK only falls for REAL men. You may wanna work out...not just your right arm, too.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

careful skin... ya might impress the mole people again....;)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I, however, have never asked a chick out without her realizing it. We gotta hook up soon brother. You need some help.

I thought you told me you've never asked a chick out--you know, they just kinda swarm around like angry bees and haul you off?

I'll take you to a titty bar and show you what a womans breasts look like.

Just take off your bra, dear.

PS I've heard RLK only falls for REAL men. You may wanna work out...not just your right arm, too.

Someone once said to me, "You have weird friends." I suppose that's generally true, but you are the capstone of my career.

We're way off topic now, and you've only just gotten out of jail. Please go mangle another thread, before Tom feels compelled to revoke your parole.

These have been two very boring weeks on this board--and I'd prefer not to live through two more like them anytime too soon.

rl