JaapSuter

Post Jump Depression

I have done seven jumps since my two FJCs, and I've noticed something I'd like to call post jump depression. I am curious to hear if anybody else experiences this. And more importantly, whether there is a treatment for it. ;)

Directly after a jump, there is excitement, exhilaration and the feeling of great accomplishment. This usually lasts for an hour, and then comes a smile that stays for several days. You know; the grin on your face, walking down the street looking up at the highrises around you thinking: "There's a world out there that few people know of."

Then, after two or three days, the post jump depression kicks in. You find yourself doing some mundane task, like doing the dishes, getting groceries, or just sitting in the office, and you begin to wonder what the purpose of life is. You worry what happens if base becomes too consuming. What if the intervals between jumps become boring inevitabilities in life?

Another two days later this feeling subdues. You come back to reality and begin appreciating other things. An early morning coffee, waking up and seeing a blue sky, old music rediscovered, a great dinner with friends, or a walk in the park.

And then you start packing for your next jump and the cycle repeats...

Is this feeling familiar to anybody?

One solution is to make another jump before the smile dissapears. That way the bliss keeps going forever. However, one ends up having to make jumps more and more often, not to mention push the limits further and further. Inevitably, this will lead to accidents.

I think the best life is one of moderation and balance. Not only in base, but for any intensely emotional activity (like beer :P). The question is; how to do this if we acknowledge that happiness is largest in extremities.

Woah, slow down Jaap; "It's only base jumping after all..."

Cheers,

Jaap

yup. noticed that.

I personally start getting edgy if I don't get at least two a week in.

happiness was living at the TBPB during late July and doing 5-8 a day for 10 days running... B|

edited because I typed TPBP instead of TBPB.... :S

soon to be gone

cheers,
its all we can do to run off the cliff again tommorow.

with wings, a parachute, a cord, a lifejacket.

maybe we get it from flying inverted at 3 g's looking at the granite 5 feet away from our airplanes canopy, maybe from tripping off the side of a building wearing a parachute, or from riding so fast down US 126 that we cant hear the motor anymore, just the air around our helmet.

"I found that the vehicle is a great metaphore for addiction"
David Wilcox.

ready...

-SPACE-

I also imagine that if there were forums for drug rehab, they would sound a lot like that.

-SPACE-

I also imagine that if there were forums for drug rehab, they would sound a lot like that.

That exact thought occured to me when starting this thread. Sometimes I wonder if a drug habit would be safer and cheaper...

I wonder if a drug habit would be safer and cheaper...

Probably a lot more predictable!

Sometimes I wonder if a drug habit would be safer and cheaper...

No need to wonder. Both addictions compliment each other very well ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

No need to wonder. Both addictions compliment each other very well.

Ha! I'm still looking for an expert to provide an FSC (first snort, shot, sniff, or swallow course).

Maybe a good idea for base manufacturers, to diversify their core-business?

:D:D:D

How about a BASE "hit & blow"... Might be more fun than the usual "hit & chug". Better yet, combine them both. :S
hahaha.. lets just say I've seen it done.:P
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

How about a BASE "hit & blow"...

OK, I'll take a blow...:)
what were you talking about again:P???

Jason
EG#15

ah ha ha... funny guy eh? :P

ah ha ha... funny guy eh? :P

I'm not Canadian.. eh!
And I couldn't help it, you left yourself wide open for that one:)
play safe
Jason
EG#15

didn'tDdog try this:o

Maybe a good idea for base manufacturers, to diversify their core-business?

How else would she be swallowing swords? Of course she's leaving herself wide-open. Say ahhhhhhhhh.

-A
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Jaap,

I sure do understand what you mean. I have been fighting that feeling for the last 25 years. I only made 20 BASE jumps in the early 80ies although I must admit that each jump was like an expedition. As I don't BASE jump anymore..!!?? I have had to try to find that adrenaline rush somewhere else and that is tough. 10 years ago I decided to move to Canada from Paris with my wife and two kids. I arrived at the airport without a job, didn't know anybody, no home,... nothing except my determination. That was an adventure but nothing to be compared to BASE jumping. Professionaly I have changed jobs every so often because I easily get bored. Now what I do is to walk into the Québec wilderness alone and at night to get as scared as possible. Black bears and wolfs roame the forrest so that makes it more fun. My wife knows when I am in severe adrenaline withdrawal and sends me into the wilderness. After having been a BASE jumper how can one not be bored by what western society has to offer. Sorry Jaap, I just think you have to get prepared to fight/enjoy this feeling/frustration for the rest of your life. If you come to Québec I'll try to set up a meeting for you with a 400lb female black bear with two cubs. That should give you a kick.
Jevto

Thats freaky Jevco,

You just described my whole life exactly. Working many different jobs for "stimulation and entertainment", moving to places blind not knowing anyone there, or having a job set up beforehand, traveling exhaustively and adventuring, etc.

I used to deep country off the trail cross country solo backpack. After camp was set up, (never with a fire or lights or a tent), Id walk off into the woods and stand there listening to the silence and watching the stars without moving. So quietly in the near jet black that once I noticed a very dim and almost subliminal pattern of dots moving through the dark, dots which my mind suddenly assembled into a wolf when it was less than 20 feet away, right in front of me. The funny thing was it hadnt noticed me and was as scared of me as I was of it. We both became aware of each other at almost the exact same time and LEAPT back from eachother scrambling with an exclamation. So laughably identical a response it was near mirrorlike. He took off running, leaving me with a pounding invigorated heart, and a representative memory of the wonders and joys of the deep dark woods, solemn majesty.

I think we'd understand each other, exactly...

Thanks Jevto and Truckerbase. Interesting you mention the job thing. I seem to suffer from that too, always looking for new challenges and opportunities.

It makes you wonder if the guy that wrote that manifesto (you know) had a point after all. His methods for revolution were despicable, but some of his ideas are quite agreeable.

I'll try to set up a meeting for you with a 400lb female

Good thing the sentence didn't stop there. ;)

Thanks Jevto and Truckerbase. Interesting you mention the job thing

That's quite interesting...I have been a contractor for over 15 years and while I like to be knowledgeable about a given project once I reach that apex I find myself becoming less and less involved until finally I move on to something else.

hahaa.. you guys crack me up! :P:D
Too bad I'm a vegetarian & don't eat meat... hehehe;)

And no, I'm not canadian... but pretty close I guess. Grew up less than 1/2 an hour from the border...B|

...I'm a vegetarian & don't eat meat...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Say it ain't so! :(