vandev

experience or just luck..

Hey all, I was going to ask Tom but i hate to keep bothering him so i put this out to all of you. i enjoy reading the posts in this forum the most. I have never based jumped but have a real desire to get into it. My only desire though would be to birdman off somewhere in Norway or Switerland. Buildings and bridges would be ok but watching you guys fly out from a cliiff and fly all the way to town just is freakin cool. I could do the learning curve ..ie tracking pants and air time, jumps . I figure i would do at least 200 birdman jumps this year before i get to the point of planing to base.i guess what i am getting at is i am a little confused. i see in the fatality list experienced base jumpers going into the wall. I saw that base fatality # 63 did everything right but still went in. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. Even reading through the fatality list i still desire the same as if i didnt read but am just absorbing as much information as possible. I am into skysurfing and tracking so i am very familiar with murphy...B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Are you asking why it appears BASE jumps kill people sometimes?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

No, I am curious about the "everything goes wrong" and why.... There is always a reason...Ok for instance...not to offend anyone but how hard is it to track away from the wall?? :S

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

There are several people on the list who did everything right.

Have you seen Iiro's movie? In it, he passes along some wisdom that I think he attributes to Dwain (I originally heard it from Slim, but I'm sure it's been going around for a while).

Every BASE jumper starts with two buckets.

The first is the skill bucket. That one starts empty.

The second is the luck bucket. That one starts with some random amount in it that you don't get to know.

The trick is to fill the first bucket faster than you empty the second. Unfortunately, some of us start with very little in the second bucket--and there is no way of knowing.

I guess the bottom line is that there will always be some random, uncontrolled factors in BASE. You can reduce them, but so far, it's not looking like you can eliminate them.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It usually would not be hard to track away from a wall or antenna... but "what if" you had an unstable exit?

I am sure most thought it was easy to track away from a wall.. until the S^%$ hit the fan.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

There is always a reason...

I disagree. I've seen bad shit just happen. The systems we use are just so complex and chaotic that we just can't control everything.

In regards to #63, I do wonder if a pendulator would have helped. So, perhaps that's another bit of random we're trying to work out of the game.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I do wonder if a pendulator would have helped

when are you, or are you, going to post plans for "the pendulator "
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

When are you, or are you, going to post plans for "the pendulator "

From an earlier post on blinc:

I used something very similar to a pendulator when I was doing trampoline training at a gymnastics club a few years back. We called it the bungy-support system. I highly recommmend going to your local gymnastics or circus-training facility, and asking them about it.

There are differences, because trampoline guys go mostly straight up and down, whereas the basejumpers want to move forward as well. However, even in gymnastics we have used them to jump from an obstacle on one side of the trampoline, to the middle of the trampoline, to an obstacle on the other side, so they can easily be used for the same purpose.

The pendulators I've hung in on the trampoline had ball-joints at the hips, so you can do front and backloops. Some more advanced bungies even have a hip-ring with bearings in it, so you can do twists in your aerials. I've never been in one of those.

Here's more information: http://www.coachesinfo.com/category/gymnastics/71/

Cheers,

Jaap

I highly recommmend going to your local gymnastics or circus-training facility

You have a local circus training facility? That's just too funny.

Hey Tom, Glad you joined in. I like your first reply...i was always on that plane of two buckets.. From surfiing to the military...i have lived my life wiith two buckets....

The systems we use are just so complex and chaotic ...

are you talking about gear? Is the top gear not always the best choice...?

Oh, you bastard.... :$

edit: you know, after looking at that site, I'm probably going to give them a call.

if you dont mind me asking....what was she doing wrong if she was doing everything right? of all the base list fatalities...this one gives me a case of the wonders..:(

are you talking about gear? Is the top gear not always the best choice...?

The right gear for the specific jump that matches your experience level is the right gear.

BASE jumping doesn't really have too many gear choices yet, but I imagine someday you will be able to get gear that is too advanced for your skillset if you're a beginner. I know that is already true in skydiving.

"what if" you had an unstable exit....can you explain this....if you are diving out how do you become unstable? iis it not being able to relax or something else....I ask as a kiid i use to high dive and never had a problem knowing direction or where i was going...[:/]

BASE exit points are not always dry and stable. In BASE jumping you will encounter ice, snow, sand, rocks, funky handrails, chain link fences, police, wind, rain, ...etc. All of these can halp ensure your exit is less than stable.

Beginners tend to go head low and can't recover in time to survive. Some sites will kill you if you go head low, even if you're not a beginner.

I had heard that in high diving, sooner or later everyone hits the platform at least once, and then they have to get over it and get on with things and then it's business as usual.

Did that ever happen to you, or to a high diver you knew? If so, why?

I think of exits like throwing a ball. With practice you can get good at throwing it where you want. But sometimes, something happens and the ball slips or sticks and it flings in the wrong direction. I suppose the same thing could happen on an exit - loose rock (that maybe looked really solid before) or distracting bird or noise or trivial wind gust or view (in the "Down and Out" post the book quotes Jean Boenish looking down too long / at the wrong time and almost getting into trouble for it).

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

hey dexter, thanks for the information and your time.. another question...what is the track to feet achieved per secound....if you have perfect track and 7 secounds of good track, what distance are you from the wall? I see that experianced base jumper are hiitting the wall with off heading openings. But if they where a good distance away from the wall you would have more time to react. I rember thiis tower as a kid we use to jump off in a small resevoir that was about 50 ft. I would always do a gainer and would always move away from the tower...are you saying when you gaiin more speed you can back slide to the wall? and if you could explain the head down thing....thanks

No , i never hit the boardor the tower...but that was always on my mind no matter how good i got. Its like when i skysurf.."i am not very good" but always thinking everything is going to go wrong ...

hey, there is a base jump almost gone wrong comming up in a fw minutes on national geographiB|c channel 276 on direct TV

it is called great trango tower in Pakistan.... 10 secounds to impact...Nick and another guy...

Tracking doesn't start immediately after exit. It takes a bit of time to get airspeed to get lift/force, and then it takes a while for the lift/force to accelerate your heavy butt, and then it takes a while for the increasing velocity of your butt to translate into distance.

The canopy has a couple hundred square feet of nylon so it does a much better job of flying in just a few seconds time than a human can. (Plus it gets the unfair advantage of starting with as much or more airspeed than it needs to fly optimally.) Unfortunately if the human was trying to fly his body away from the rock, and the canopy decides to go the other way on opening and fly toward the rock, the canopy can probably get back faster.

Now, I have no BASE jumps and I don't expect to soon. But that's not because I don't like BASE, it's because I know I'm not good enough.

And that's more knowledge about BASE than I used to have. :o

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Hello Vandev,

The biggest component that your missing about the "what if you have a bad exit" is that you are dealing with dead air when you exit. This means you need to nail your exit or you're along for one hell of a ride... Meaning that you don’t have relative air to fix the exit until you’re at least 4-5 seconds into the jump...

Many of us have messed up exits... Even exits that are relatively simple. The same exit point is never the same, nor are the jumping conditions that surround it. This includes your physical and mental state…

I like FrogNog's throwing a ball example... It hits the nail on the head...

I have had one building strike as a result to slipping at exit point. The exit point was wet and I lost my footing when I launched. That slip had me doing aerials in a blinc of an eye, @ sub 250ft... So I pitched and hit the 5th floor right after line stretch. Ended up with a severely bruised spine, pulled and bruised muscles, and banged up internal organs... It took the hospital two days to stabilize the internal bang job I did. And it took months for the pain to go away…

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you’re not simply pushing away from the cliff. You are doing your best to exit at a 45 degree angle to prevent a head-down or head-high exit. And again, the fact that you don’t have relative air to help you out when you exit, you’ve got what you’ve got once you have exited…

Does that all make sense???

:)
Michael

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

thanks bro...ill take that advise...i am also not good enough to base either..thats why i am asking all the questions.... I just watched a base jump on tv that almost went wrong. It was in pakistan an both guys tumbled on ther backs and rolled over and over but never moved back to the wall.. They wher close but never went back....This is why by seeing this and reading about experianced jumpers hitting the wall i ask the questions...