vandev

experience or just luck..

I imagine the tree didn't actually catch up to him until he hit the ground, sort of like Wiley Coyote running off the cliff holding an anvil in the old Road Runner cartoons.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>>Do you know anything about the decision making process that led to this? Is there a BD playbook that handles such a situation? How many people decided to stop jumping for the day?<<

While it's sometimes normal to stop jumping for the day at a DZ after a fatality, that's not usually the case at a large boogie. Bridge Day is more like the latter and isn't something you can just come back and do again "next week."

Stopping the jumping is also admitting defeat in a way, it's like saying, "Gee, maybe this IS a stupid thing to do." I think continuing to jump validates and celebrates the deceased participation in the sport.

Did some not jump after Steve's fatality? Probably, but it was personal decision on their part and that's how it should be.

NickD :)BASE 194