subterminal

Very low pull en Suisse

A beautiful low pull by Batman in the famous Swiss valley this easter. The clip is a teaser for a longer piece in memory of our late friend J.T, who is also featured in this clip.

It'd be nice if someone could make it a clicky:)

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2159

Enjoy!

CJ =)

A beautiful low pull ??? I'd rather say "a very stupid low-pull"...

Am I the only one on this planet taking conservative delays ??? Or am I just untalented or unable to do these "cool" low-pulls ???

sorry CJ, I had to let this out...

Gil

That's all good Gil. I understand exactly what you mean, and I do agree. When JB first showed me this clip I slapped him around the head verbaly. We just lost a dear friend due to a too late pull, though that wasn't taking it low intentionally. We both agreed that this was indeed stupid. It's no way you can say that was a safe deployment altitude, but JB is a notorious low-puller who at this jump took it as low as he could and learned a lesson. Obviously this isn't in anyway reccomended behaviour. However, when the jump was successful, JB got what he was after (and will hopefully adjust his deployment altitude accodringly) and the video turned out like it did: I think it was a beautiful jump... Maybe beautiful is a weid word to use. I'll leave it at: real cool!

I'm also one who takes conservative delays most of the time. We've did a four way together a few years ago and I remember you hanging lower than me Gil;)

I'll be in the valley from Sunday on. I hope the weather turns good and that we can hook up an do a two way and share a beer Gil.

CJ =)

Is this an official Phoenix Fly video like the ones Mrs. Pecnik uploads? Valley name was spelt incorrectly.

Fly Pants make you pull low, and its like cocaine! Everyone should be awere of the side effects of a good flight!You just d-o-n-t want to pull! Its just to fun! And the ground does not look that scary!

Be warned, and be carefull!

Is this an official Phoenix Fly video like the ones Mrs. Pecnik uploads?

No Willy, this is not an "official" PF video.

PF does not recommend pulling low *cough*
BASEstore.it

Am I the only one on this planet taking conservative delays ??? Or am I just untalented or unable to do these "cool" low-pulls ???

I usually think of it as being "grown up." Many of us go through our "teen age" BASE jumping years, doing some pretty foolish stuff. Some of us are fortunate enough to go through that phase skydiving (where there is less potential for injury). I know I went through it, because I've got the scars to prove it. I like to think I'm over it now.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi folks, just some comments from the Videomaker & Flyer/jumper. YES, that is just to low and we all know it. That was the fourth jump an that wall in two days, and the road was getting closer and closer in a "must-get-past-that-line-thingy" kind of way.
That means i got really comfortable with the jump, and packed a 38' PC so that i could go low on that jump. After that i had to call it a day for the wall in some time, just becaurse the ground was starting to transform itself into rubber. (yes i know, 30cm of snow is NOT a world made of rubber...)
So folks, what can i say. Glad to have been there just to see what it looks like, and glad i don't have to do it again... :S

/Johnnyb

P.S. I did pull in a respectable altitude on the Brento-jump, so i could have grown a bit...

Hey Guys !

Nice must say, we were with 13 Belgian jumeprs this weekend in the Valley, we jumped our PF suits also and past the way also only we had a 15 sec canopy flight...;-)

PF rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What's funny is that I've seen videos of Dwain, Yuri, and Pecnik all with shorter canopy rides than this one (and all from WS flights too), and in the threads where I found those videos the comments were all unanimously positive toward the low-pullers.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

How can I watch a .mp4 file?
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

"low pulls, ha, they're easy. You just do nothing for a bit longer" ;)

(I think the part of the WS BASE guidelines that talks about "deceptive" groundrush is applicable to those using track / smoke pants.)
BASEstore.it

What's funny is that I've seen videos of Dwain, Yuri, and Pecnik all with shorter canopy rides than this one (and all from WS flights too), and in the threads where I found those videos the comments were all unanimously positive toward the low-pullers.

I must have missed that.

I did however, see this post in which Yuri urges people to pull higher, and this one in which Yuri says that his low pull was unintentional.

JB is fairly well known and experienced. I don't think this is a case of people having different reactions based on the skill (or connections) of the jumper. We all know that he's got the skills.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What's funny is that I've seen videos of Dwain, Yuri, and Pecnik all with shorter canopy rides than this one (and all from WS flights too), and in the threads where I found those videos the comments were all unanimously positive toward the low-pullers.***

There is a difference IMO. Those guys had descent speeds of about 40 MPH so it takes almost three times as long to splash. So pulling at 150' in a WS is almost like pulling at 450' in full FF.

Hopefully Robi will comment on it ;)

Edit to add:
A low pull is not wise no matter what you are jumping. It is true that with a WS you lose less altitude but there is the added complexity of the system. Somebody with more experience can comment on that.
Memento Audere Semper

Those guys had descent speeds of about 40 MPH so it takes almost three times as long to splash. So pulling at 150' in a WS is almost like pulling at 450' in full FF.

I disagree.

The reduced fallrate and reduced vertical altitude used during a wingsuit deployment does NOT make it "safe" to pull low. :S

Chances of deployment problems are increased. By the armwing getting in the way, PC in the burble, hard opening to due high forward speed, line twists due to swing through deployment, time required to free arms and legs, reacting to line twists etc.

IMO If you pull at 450' for norm FF it would not be a good idea to go any lower with a WS on.
BASEstore.it

I wasn't implying it had to do with the jumpers or their "names", just that it seemed to me in the past that I had seen more positive comments toward this stuff. And I do remember Yuri saying his low pull was unintentional, but I also seem to remember he pointed that out AFTER several people said "awesome!".

It's a weird situation I guess because based on our nature (as jumpers, no I'm not BASE yet), we like to see hardcore stuff and like to think "awesome!" in our heads based on how cool it looks, even if we might be yelling "dumbass!" based on how close to death we know the jumper came...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I did not say it was wise! But if everything worked OK, and shit can happen even without a WS, I'd reather pull at 150' with a WS than without.
Memento Audere Semper

Seven BASE wingsuit fatalities in the last four years, how many in skydiving? :S