tymkoder

changing your Brake Settings

How many people have altered the brake settings on their canopy. did you alter both the light setting and the deep brake setting?
what methods did you use to actually test and set.

tom did you reset your brakes after our jumps in moab?
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

How many people have altered the brake settings on their canopy. did you alter both the light setting and the deep brake setting?

There's a dedicated "bonus feature" on the new Continuum II DVD where Jimmy at Vertgo talks about changing brake settings--very informative.
pope

How many people have altered the brake settings on their canopy.

I have. Maybe this ought to be a poll?

did you alter both the light setting and the deep brake setting?

Both. But deep is more important.

I jumped it a bunch off this bridge by my house.

Yep. Twice since then, actually.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Having just received my new canopy and rig, I would be very interested in people opinion on break settings too.....
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

catch me on msn and we will have a looong talk mate:P

I only set my deep brake settings but at tis point i have 2 setting more shallow below the one i usaly jump (ff)slider off

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Okay - I'm going to ask the stupid question here...

Are you talking about moving your toggles up/down the lines? Or are you talking about adjusting/moving the point in the steering line where the stow point is? If you're moving that, then are you installing another trap in the line inwhich to stow the toggles? Are you doing that or are you having a rigger do it? Guess I'm confused.....

Later,
BASE864

Okay - I'm going to ask the stupid question here...

Are you talking about moving your toggles up/down the lines? Or are you talking about adjusting/moving the point in the steering line where the stow point is? If you're moving that, then are you installing another trap in the line inwhich to stow the toggles? Are you doing that or are you having a rigger do it? Guess I'm confused.....

in my opinion, both these need moving to suit the individual jumper. I get a rigger to move my brake settings and I move my toggle settings.

Or are you talking about adjusting/moving the point in the steering line where the stow point is?

That one.

I actually had an old man in a hotel room do it once. But it's generally a rigger task. All it really takes is a fingertrap tool, a bit of the appropriate line, and a bar tacking machine.

It's also, in my opinion, an absolutely essential piece of gear maintenance.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I actually had an old man in a hotel room do it once.

If you are referring to the other Tom then you better hope he doesn't read that. :D

I move my toggle settings.

short arms aint fun huh:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Tom,

do you have any good articles on the propper way to adjust the different settings on your brakes. or maybe you should do a small write up on the (tom's) proper way to set your brakes and a little theory on what hapens and why. what to look for on opening.

1. total line length for toggle input (full flight how much slack behind canopy)
2. moving the deep brake finger trap
3. moving the shallow brake finger trap
4. when to use shallow or deep brakes with slider up
5. when to use shallow or deep with slider down.
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

check out:

DBSinsert.pdf at cr's page (better get yourself a copy of all that good stuff b4 they take it down (don't know if they will)).

later,
G

Base 311

thanks for the Document link on DBS...

Recomended read for everyone
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954