leroydb

base 2 way from 300 ft with ouchy

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1813

base 2 way from 300 ft with hard landing. Ended-up only being a bruised tailbone

opening: Opened roughly same level as the other jumper. he had a 1 sec lead on me, but he is WL higher so he should get a flying canopy sooner than me on a lower WL. I also took a .5 to 1 sec delay.
wind: i wasn't directly into the wind, i was about 45%
pattern: scott turned straight into the wind and I didnt want to follow right behind or make any more turns to get inline with the wind
flair: When i popped toggles, i never let it up. I left it roughly at the same level as if it was in shallow brake settings. If i would have left them set and landed with Rear risers or poped them immediatly upon opening and let them up at least a few inches I would have had a tad more speed to flair with. If you look at the shawdows, you can see I might have been able to flair more...

Lesson learned:
1. follow your instincts, they are 99% usually correct
2. you can get hurt even if everything is looking pretty
3. you can get hurt even if everything is looking pretty

make your own conclusions, but It could have been much worse. I am glad i landed in the field and not the road. I would be much worse off. There was about a 2-3 inch crater where my ass/back hit.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I saw no reason for that landing at all. I timed a 9 sec canopy ride onto a big field. Don't ever come to Australia.

I saw no reason for that landing at all. I timed a 9 sec canopy ride onto a big field. Don't ever come to Australia.

a few have said quote, "It's admirable that you were willing to humble yourself by posting."
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

leroy, i respect your post, but i wonder why you even bother posting stuff like that here... you know this place is full of shiteaters and imperialistic fags. that's why we started sonic beef.
i'm only replying here to let the experts in australia know there equally welcome here in the US. which is by the way, the finest nation in the world.

i posted it at www.sonicbeef.com also...

Yea I am a dork and am annoying to some, but I just posted this so that maybe someone out there can gleam something from this video that might save their life? who knows.
Leroy

thanks i respect any video that doesnt make the person look great and is posted for the pure reason of "do not do what i did."

~Chachi

...you know this place is full of shiteaters and imperialistic fags.

I've reached my zero tolerance point here. Why don't you go back to Sonic Beef for 14 days?

i'm only replying here to let the experts in australia know there equally welcome here in the US. which is by the way, the finest nation in the world.

And they are. I'm pretty sure that you don't speak for the US BASE community.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

From your shadow, it looks like you never really flared. Am I mistaken?

BASE canopies tend to flare deep. It looked to me (from the shadow--so I might be way off base here) like there was plenty of flare left, and you just didn't take it.

I'd say that with a deep flare, that would have been a stand up landing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

he is WL higher so he should get a flying canopy sooner than me on a lower WL.

Can you explain why you think a higher wing loading will result in a faster fully-formed canopy?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

i was "told" that the higher weight forces more air into the canopy. So if I weighed less, a "lesser" amount of air is forced into the canopy. If ge/she is incorrect, please educated me
Leroy

Yes, i think I could have flaired more. I just didnt react the way I needed to in this situtation. I was "used" to only having to flair that much in most situtations so far. So instead of reacting to the situtation, I reacted to previous muscle memory.

added: I felt I was at the stall point... also note that when i passed through the burble I lost lift and "sank out?" alot faster. It felt like the bottom dropped out...
Leroy

i was "told" that the higher weight forces more air into the canopy. So if I weighed less, a "lesser" amount of air is forced into the canopy. If ge/she is incorrect, please educated me

In general, the factors that effect the inflation speed of a slider off canopy are going to be (note that this is after reaching line stretch):

1) Canopy Type (including vents or lack thereof).
2) Canopy Size (smaller= less nylon = faster inflation).
3) Wingloading (higher = faster inflation)

Note however, that faster inflation at higher wingloadings is not the same as faster to full flight. Since the canopy has to decelerate the load (your weight), before it reaches full flight, a smaller load (i.e. higher wingloading) will reach full flight sooner, when all else is equal.

In other words, although there is some merit to what you were told, in very specialized situations, it is generally not a factor that matters very much in spacing openings.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

sent PM
Leroy

What canopy were you jumping? At what wingloading?

According to his profile it was a BJ 260 at .62. Is that right, Leroy?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

9 sec. canopy ride ?
That's a long time ? (sure you counted right)

That's more canopy ride that a lot of BASE jumps at 300 Ft. from beginning to end.
From the time your feet leave the object
Till your feet touch the ground on landing.

No offense but it looks to me like you just brainlocked, just like that guy who flew into the wires down there:S
you had plenty of altitude and time to make a turn into the wind. It's quite common to do 180's and land there without any problem, even with longer delays then you took. Didn't you have your landings preplanned? If no, then why not? Also the shadows don't look too long on the ground, what time of day was this? Since you guys have lost three towers of late, I would've thought you might be more careful. On that note, right after the hanging on the wire episode, one of our towers up here has brand new razor wire and locks. Maybe they were watching CNN also.

Of course if landing in the day is that hard, maybe night jumps aren't such a good idea

:P

try to stay in one piece

Mike

May we live long and die out

Didn't you have your landings preplanned? If no, then why not?

Please take my newbie comments with a bolder of salt, but I seemed to have noticed that way too many people concentrate on the freefall aspects of BASE and not enough consider the canopy aspects (as you so astutely pointed out here). It's the succesful canopy flight which allows us to make that next load.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Dang Mike, timing IS everything.

LEROY, WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!! WHEN WAS THAT EPISODE??? THERE IS A REASON WE JUMP AT NIGHT. PLEASE SEEK IMMEDIATE HELP!

O and by the way, Tom will be coming home soon....I'll be happy to arrange an introduction.
Later
Blair

It's quite common to do 180's and land there without any problem,
even with longer delays then you took. Didn't you have your landings preplanned? If no, then why not?

1, I have many jumps there where I have done many 180's and some 270's and to land right next to the tower just fine.

2. We had made one jump prior to this one. We landed out in that field on purpose.

3. For the 2nd jump we made an assesment to do jump from the same side and land in the same field.

So yes our whole jump was planned, from prejump, jump, opening, to landing pattern.

The reason I didnt turn 180 was because we had a plan and I followed it.

The reason I didnt line up with the wind is because I didnt want to land in the road, or be behind the other guys canopy burble.

And since my good natured post is being turned into a bashfest... You can not tell me that YOU or anyone else has never had a hard landing. I don't buy it. Like I said earlier, things and look pretty and you can still get hurt. he purpose of the post was to possibly pass some bit'o'information on that could help someone.
Leroy

And since my good natured post is being turned into a bashfest... You can not tell me that you have never had a hard landing.

I don't think the bashfest is because of your landing. I'm guessing it's because of something else. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

No offense but it looks to me like you just brainlocked

well no offense, but I disagree. It was a decession to land the pattern I landed.
Leroy

I don't think the bashfest is because of your landing. I'm guessing it's because of something else.

you might be correct... but be sure you have the WHOLE story before ya judge. The crapp pile can always fall back on the crapper
Leroy

dude, well I gave it a try. :S[:/]B|
Leroy

Okey dokey...

I think this thread has had enough fun. Let's try to remember that Leroy posted his video in an effort to help others avoid his mistakes.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com