diablopilot

Many thanks to Tom A.

For those that don't know him, Tom A. is an amazing person. For whatever reasons he gave up last weekend to spend it with 4 guys from around the county who had the desire (at least I think I did) to leap from a bridge (with the use of a parachute).

It was cold, wet, windy, and at one point even snowed, but Tom hung in there with us. He got up in the wee hours to set up contraptions for us to jump from trees with;), was patient with us when it came to packing and questions (done out side in a park), showed us how to do things ourselves rather than do them for us, entertained us with stories, videos, and tri-tip, made us think about things like ethics and respecting others, and while we were at it assisted us in making 3 jumps from the Perine Bridge. We would have made more but the weather sucked.

Previously I knew Tom as the "devil-may-care-we'll-read-about-him-in-and-incident-report" guy. After spending 3 days with him, I will say that the feeling I get from Tom is his desire to see the sport continue in an educated manner, and he seems commited to giving back to the sport. Everyone jumps for their own reasons I believe, I'm glad to see part of Tom's reasons are to bring new jumpers into the fold the right way.

Thanks Tom, I would be honored to share the edge of an object with you someday.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

...stories, videos, and tri-tip...

He sure knows how to cook doesn't he? Nothing beats a good meal after a few great jumps!

Yeah, he does. Makes good cookies too....I want a return invite some time for what I hear are legendary Tacos......

Yeah, he does. Makes good cookies too....I want a return invite some time for what I hear are legendary Tacos......

I forgot about the cookies! They were great. And the tacos...I've had them! Yum!
I'm getting hungry.

Hmmmm..... there seems to be a cult in the making here recently......

:P
B|
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

YEah, it's like Pinky and the Brain.......

You already did thank me. Several years ago--it involved a wingsuit, remember?

We each give what we can to who we can. That's how this whole thing works, I think.

Glad you had a good experience. Would you believe it cleared up on Monday, and has been beautiful ever since?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I forgot about the cookies! They were great. And the tacos...I've had them! Yum!
I'm getting hungry.

I wonder if this could be my new pitch.

"This first jump course will include a meal cooked by legendary chef Tom Aiello..."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi JP --

It was nice meeting you this last weekend. Welcome to the BASE family and best wishes for many more jumps. If you ever need anything, you can get ahold of me through dz.com

C-ya at an exit point sometime!

Bryan

Would you believe it cleared up on Monday, and has been beautiful ever since?

YepB|:D

Legendary? You bet!

Heck, I didn't come to Twin Falls last weekend to BASE jump, I came just to eat Tom's cooking...

Bryan

Being one of the three other guys out in TF last weekend, I want to second JP's post. Tom is a great guy that pretty much put everything on hold for three days to help four strangers get acquainted with the basics of BASE. I don't have vast amounts of experience, but I felt Tom conducted the FJC in a safe, fun, and knowledge imparting manner.

I'm a recently converted poster boy for why becoming dependent on packers at the DZ is a bad thing. Tom had more patience than I would have thought humanly possible when helping me learn how to pack. I'm still not a pro, but I'm working on it and by my next trip out to TF I plan on showing off mad skillz :)

One of the most important lessons I learned about jumping the Perrine was...if at all possible get yourself invited to dinner at Tom's :) He and his wife definitely know their way around the kitchen and are great hosts.

All in all a great weekend. Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

--Keith
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

Would you believe it cleared up on Monday, and has been beautiful ever since?

Yup, I wasn't there last weekend but you said the same thing to me days after I got home from a TF trip. This seems to be a pattern. What gives?:S

"This first jump course will include a meal cooked by legendary chef Tom Aiello..."

I'm going to attend the next course for SURE!!!

Good luck to the rest of you. Congratulations on your first jumps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

This seems to be a pattern. What gives?:S

Tom M. and I decided that the pattern appears to be Bryan Stokes. When he's in town, the weather falls apart. As soon as he leaves, things clear up.

By the way, Bryan, the weather on Sunday morning was very nice. I think the bad stuff followed you up to Boise when you left to go skydiving. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just approximated... since last November, I have been up there about 80 days to jump, and of 80 I didn't get to jump 2 of those days. One because Pete and I got drunk at noon. The other was weather, but I have been pretty freakin fortunate. Now I probably just jinxed it too though. :P Maybe you should plan courses around my arrival in town... YEAH, then I can come eat too. Oh, and what is that about Buffy? I didn't think those were yours...;)

I have to second what JP said. It was great hanging with Tom, and even greater to suck in all the knowledge that he had to share. I am still amazed at somebody taking 3 days out of their life to teach people - Many thanks over and over again.

P.S. Yes, Monday was nice - made 2 jumps in the morning :)

Not sure what Tom provided, BUT its great to see people being appreciative for the time and effort that other people sacrifice (eg Tom in this case).

:)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Welcome to the real dark side JP (and the others in Tom's course). ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Tom M. and I decided that the pattern appears to be Bryan Stokes. When he's in town, the weather falls apart. As soon as he leaves, things clear up.

Aint that for sure...

[:/]

The bad weather followed me everywhere I went last weekend!

Bryan

P.S. Yes, Monday was nice - made 2 jumps in the morning

Bastard :P Do you know how hard it was to concentrate in class back in AZ knowing you guys were still jumping! On the plus side, it was nice to strip off three layers and get back into shorts and a t-shirt.
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

On the plus side, it was nice to strip off three layers and get back into shorts and a t-shirt.

I jumped in a t-shirt on Monday. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

On the plus side, it was nice to strip off three layers and get back into shorts and a t-shirt.

I jumped in a t-shirt on Monday. :P

I noticed you didn't call me from the exit point this time. >:(:P

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

It was great meeting everyone! Thanks Tom for providing the instruction, gear,food and of course your time in a safe pressure free enviroment. My introduction to the world of BASE could not have been any better.

Hope to share an exit point with you guys in the near future!

I'm going to attend the next course for SURE!!!

I think I will too. Tacos... corn... the really odd but really cool buttering apparatus... the cookies...the beer... damn... Tom, you want to rent out your basement?;)