TomAiello

What is going on here?

McFreefall/Rollover Assist?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Looks like you did a McConkey to a PCA to Dexterbase and Katie?

Looks pretty cool. Do you have a higher res shot you can email me? tim at hookitt dot com will work.

Edit...I think katie is being PCA'd too.

Stefan shot the vid. I PCA'd both of them (one on either side).

The only stills I have are screen shots (hence low quality), but I put a (low quality) video up on my web page, and uploaded a (higher quality) version to skydivingmovies.com.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

haha.. You posted at the same time I edited.

I'll see if S has a good shot of that.

Crazy f***ers
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Daisy chain McConkey
or Daisy McConkey
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

McDaisy sounds perfect!

You can only call it a McDaisy if one of the jumpers started with daisy-chained lines.

Daisy chain jumps are somewhat historical in BASE. This is when one jumper, upon his or her deployment, pilot chute assists another jumper. Of course, recent jumper have taken the concept of daisy chain to a different but idiotic level by jumping with daisy chained lines.

How about McChain Reaction ?

It was the first thing that came to mind when i saw the jump. :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

In light of recent launch and deployment methods some of these indeed need new names.

Historically however, this was called a "Rodeo Jump." I've uploaded two new photos to my personal gallery here on DZcom (under NickDG), but they haven't been approved yet.

The first shows a 1988 rodeo jump from a ship channel bridge here in SoCal, and the other, also from 1988, showing some early aerobatics . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

...Rodeo Jump.

Excellent name. We kept looking at the still and thinking "what does it look like?" It does look like some kind of rodeo maneuver.

Was it called that before the term "rodeo" came to be used in skydiving, to describe a piggyback style jump?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Gee, it's tough to remember now, but when Norman Kent's "Ride a Cloud" movie came out (I think it was his first one) it featured what people were calling a "Rodeo dive." It was a female sitting upright on the backpack of a belly flyer.

I can't recall what year that was, but the late 1980s sounds right. When I saw that 1988 bridge jump I immediately thought, "rodeo dive."

When one jumper deploys another jumper's canopy (by virtue of their own deployment) that's called a "daisy chain" and goes all the back to the 1960s. You can see a three way daisy chain in the movie Carl Boenish filmed called the, "Gypsy Moths."

Bob Sinclair also used something like that (a zap strap) during "buddy jumps" the precursor to AFF, in case his student didn't pull, way back in the early 60s.

Using the name daisy chain though makes one think the lines are daisy chained. I was rigger on scene once when a pilot bailed out of a sailplane he'd just bought. The parachute he got with the deal was incorrectly field packed, it was closed correctly with the ripcord, but the canopy was just stuffed inside with the lines daisy chained. And the daisy chained were put in the wrong way or else it might still have worked.

Anyway, I think the name "rodeo dive" came from skydiving, so maybe we should come up with something else.

I remember Alan Hearthington saying he told the jumper above him, "I'm counting on you, buckaroo."

Buckaroo?

What was wrong with "McDaisy"????
***Keep it fun, stay alive***
Safe swoops
Azul
Follow Orbita on Twitter @freeflyorbita

Hey Nick,
the aerobatic jump was from a well known Houston bridge. I'm unfamiliar with the "rodeo" jump shown. I heard BASE 38 refer to the one with Alan H. and George R. as daisy chain.

It's not a "Mc"anything... McConkey is a somewhat accepted reference to an unpacked rollover move. I guess Shane McConkey did an early one and the name sort of stuck... sort of.

I was a little focused on the jump while we were doing it so I could be wrong but I'm reasonably certain Mr McConkey wasn't around. Therefore, I see no need to have a "Mc" in the name of the move.

We need a cool name, a crazy name. How about the "holy crap-I think I'm going in-I have no PC to toss-wait a second-It opened!" move?

Hey Tom,

How about "'Teh' double fist over of doom?" Dexter and I just drove to norcal and had lots of time on the road to think of silly names.

Katie.

I think Stefan wins quote of the weekend too, "I was just watching all this stuff unfold and was like, 'ugh'!!":S:D as he sidefloated video of us.

>>Hey Nick,
the aerobatic jump was from a well known Houston bridge. I'm unfamiliar with the "rodeo" jump shown. I heard BASE 38 refer to the one with Alan H. and George R. as daisy chain. <<

Yes, I'm familiar with the Houston bridge. The other one (rodeo jump) is here in Southern California and is still being jumped. And it's a very cool little object that can be S/Led or PCA'd from the bottom, and if you are very stealthy and very careful it's also freefallable from the very top.

It's just been a bit harder now with all the extra security around that area.