base428

Pilot Chute Assist (PCA) How-To

I hold the S-folded bridle as tight as possible until the canopy is extracted and line stretch essentially pulls the S-folds out of your hand. The person doing a PCA would not even really have to know when the jumper actually left the object, as all he has to do is hold onto the S-folded bridle as tight as possible until it's yanked from his hand. This method also prevents PCA'ers from accidentally releasing the bridle and/or PC too early and sending the jumper into freefall.

I completely agree with Jason and on those rare occasions where it comes to PCA i use the same exact method. It puts all the force on the bridle while controlling the slack and backs it up with PC that remains unloaded in another hand. Can't really get any better :)
bsbd!

Yuri.

personally I think holding the s/fold is right also,except after lifting the shrivel flap and canopy out of the container, i let the bridle go to full stretch, transfering that hand over to the pc(which is already gripped tight ) I keep a hold on the mushroomed Pc till the weight of the jumpers pulls it from my hand. The Pc is mushroomed in a way to take the stress off the center line and transfered on to the mesh. Basically it just gets sucked away. It keeps anything from entangling me, and or getting burned or cut from the bridle. Just my opinion

Mike

May we live long and die out

...after lifting the shrivel flap and canopy out of the container, i let the bridle go to full stretch, transfering that hand over to the pc...

I'm having trouble visualizing that, but...

Wouldn't that give some chance (especially if done poorly) to let slack into the system after extraction?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I believe he means the bridle is yanked from his hand at line stretch and doesn't let go of the pilot chute until it too is pulled. Just like most posts here.
If I'm wrong, then in my opinion, he is wrong.
S folded bridal in the left hand-90degree bent arm and pilot chute held snugly on the cap in the right hand. When your strong left arm gets pulled down by force, let the bridal free and let the pilot chute be pulled out of your right hand. Hold the bridal very strongly, it makes for higher openings.

I love reading these posts with a nice buzz. Gets me into it enough to actually post.

It somewhat depends on how high or low you want to stage the opening. If you want a higher opening, then pull everything out while the bridle is s-folded all the way to line stretch. For a longer delay and increased distance from the object, feed out the entire bridle to the PC. Me personally, don't like having a hanging Pc and or bridle folded in my hand when it is snatched. I'll hold the s-fold together, just past the tug of velcro and canopy lift, then let the bridle deploy out and switch the hand over as the last fold is taken. Snatching the canopy out with the left hand first is somewhat of a extra safety.

Ok then, I don't use your technique or advise anyone holding my bridal to do so. I guess it all depends on how low we are talking here.
Today's 141 footer with 3 second canopy ride just adds to the data base for me.
I do think you know what the fuck you are doing, I'm just doing something different. Skinning cats takes many forms.
Anyone doing low PCA's knows what they want done behind them. If they don't, they should call someone who knows everything, or maybe PM them.
Ha ha ha ha. Skin, where are ya?

I would be more than happy to be a test jumper useing your method, please PM me with details of the object.

blue skies

short delays

jerry

personally, When i'm jumping less then 150ft, it's a d-bag or static line. I don't trust many to hold just my PC;)

I don't introduce any slack into the system. I S-fold the bridle into my right hand and hold a similar S-folded length of bridle next to the pilot chute in my left hand. I hold the bridle pretty firmly and don't release it until it's pulled from my hand.

This way I have redundancy if the first grip (right hand) slips early, but I will never subject the PC to any force. I hold the left hand less tight than the right one.

One thing I pay attention to is where on my palm I S-fold the bridle. I try to fold it very neatly on my palm away from my fingers and then hold it against my palm with my fingertip pads. I try to keep the bridle away from the joints in my fingers because the bridle moves fast when it gets pulled from your hand. If the bridle cuts your fingers, which it is completely capable of doing, your instincive reaction will be to open your hand and release the bridle. The result could be a dropped PC or worse.

so while we're talking... how about mentioning the tendancy to induce off-headings if the PCA-er is vertically misaligned with the PCA-ee? Even a slightly off-center alignment will induce a heading change to the side opposite the misalignment. e.g. if the PCA-er is 6 inches left of the vertical centerline of the jumper, it could induce a right-headed opening and vice versa. just fodder for those who might be reading. bad heading performance can ruin someone's day just as quickly as a dropped PC.

gardner

This is a very interesting post and since I've had some limited experience with this I wanted to offer my 2 cents as well. I've only been on the receiving end of PCAs, but one thing that is possibly worth discussing is what type of piot chute is being used for the different methods described here. (Personally, I think Jason's method makes the most sense and is the only way I've ever seen it done first hand.) The reason I bring this up is that I was using my brand new AV pilot chute from CR when a friend of mine PCAed me off a 163'S. He was using Jason's method, but due to his excitement he had a deathgrip on both the bridle and the vented apex of my pc. When I landed I was so juiced up as well that I didn't notice anything odd until he walked up after the jump and handed me a big (around 8"x5") chunk of my pilot chute![:/] (I'll try to post a picture this weekend.)

The point I'm getting at is that with some pilot chutes, like the vented ones or types with internal handles, there are other factors to consider. This is why I like Jason's method. Less variables. No matter how low or what type of pc you're using, it always works.

DexterBase has a really good point about just using your fingertips and palm to. I've seen a bridle cut right through a thin lether glove since the edge was right against the inside of the holder's fingers.

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!