udder

which skydiving main?

What F111 7 cell skydiving mian best sets you up for base? Raven? Airforce? PD 7-cell? Or which one is better for skydiving?

pete
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

There are a number of skydiving mains that would suffice. My strongest recommendation is that you get one with DACRON lines. This absorbes a lot of opengin shock and smooths out the opening therefore improving heading performance.

A Pegasus would be a good choice.

Cruiselights are also pretty popular, maybe Furys too ?

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Which type of object do you plan to jump from? Cruislites are one step away from black death for anything but a "no chance for object strike" type of jump, Ravens are awesome for no slider jumps if you have it dialed in. Wing loading vs Object proximity and LZ are very important factors also. post your question on Blinc with more details of your jump plans and you should get some good feedback.
take care,
space

This not new info, It is just crap that is stuck,and rolling around, In my brain.

Used a lot of, Modified Non-BASE canopies in the past.
The impotent part of that statement is- **Modified. and Correctly**
Tail Pocket, Break Settings, Large Dacron Lines, and a 7-cell.
*don't forget that the reinforcement between top and bottom Skin at
Pilot-Chute does not exist. Hard PCA, could separate Rib and skins.

*Also I did not make a Habit of jumping them on High-technical Jumps.
Especially on Low-Shear face, objects.
Most of the time I considered them my B rigs (second choice)
Anything where I had to get the heading and stick the landing or
suffer the consequences. I used my BASE specific equipment.

Would not jump my Cruislite anywhere that I had to land in a tight
area, That thing will pound you in / Bruise-Lite. bad flair qualities.
I never owned one but, Saw Slim do several Hundred jumps on a
Ragged-Out old, Pegasus. He jumped that fu##er on everything.
Modified, Ravens are good I owned Three of them. Still jump one.
Make sure that the Tail-Seam is , * Reinforced* (where break lines attach)
that is a must. No big deal to sew some one inch tape on tail seam if
it's not there.
Cruislites, Fury, Ravens, Pegasus, Will work great and GET the HEADING
as many times as a BASE specific Canopy. (go figure that one)
Even though there are some argument over Pilot-Chute, attachment
points not in the ideal place on the top skin.
Also will save wear and tear on your expensive BASE Canopies.

Let your Conscience be your guide on this one.

*also: Posting on Blinc or sending Mail of the problem.
Is easier said than done.

howdy all, thanks for the replies, its all informative but what im looking for is one to take skydiving, like on that "things to do before you try get into base" list. And which one is best when you have to put 200 odd jumps on it? There seem to be alot of ravens about with few jumps on(ex reserves), most cruiselites have got a fair few jumps on and have prolly seen better days? Any thoughts on a raven as a skydiving main?
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Ray,

I've got a Cruiselite 215 and have no problems with my flare, whatsoever! I've gotten some really sweet landings on it and with recovering from injuries, it's my first choice to jump, period. My doctor has released me back to the air, however, no terminal openings, so I'll do accuracy.

I've also heard so many people bash the older Sabres...never had any hard openings on that, either.

Kaye

You have probley had better landings than me on
your Cruiselite becouse you are not such a big dumd
Fat-ass like me.
I was not aware that there was a 215. I swear the only
ones that I have jumped are 220 and 245 XL .

Sabers are 9 cell ZP, and we dont take them BASE jumping.
(well almost never)
So we dont talk about them on the BASE Board.
I was pretty entertained back in 99 or 2000, Br. Day when
I saw that guy jump a Saber 150 and tear his leg Off when
he Hooked it , into the Railroad Tracks. :o

I was pretty entertained back in 99 or 2000, Br. Day when
I saw that guy jump a Saber 150 and tear his leg Off when
he Hooked it , into the Railroad Tracks. :o

I was working the landing area at the time, and got to see it up close and personal. Veeeerrrry ugly.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'd go with a Raven. Easy to come by, fairly cheap, but solidly built and reliable.

My experience with Cruiselites (I own 2) has been similar to Ray's, but I'm an even bigger fatass than he is.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yo...Mr. Udder
It kind of sounds like you are over thinking your
Situation just a bit.
Not to say you are wasting my time. If I had
Something important to do right now. I sure in the
Hell would not be typing on DZ.com.
Any Canopy is better than No canopy.
Just go out and jump your Ass Off...;)

Perhaps you remember my all pink 170 Flash (Sabre copy, half F111, half ZP) loaded 1.5. I have jumped this canopy BD 99.
The opening was acceptable and the landing....well, I walked away and stayed dry:P.

jo

"comedy is tragic plus time"

I was pretty entertained back in 99 or 2000, Br. Day when I saw that guy jump a Saber 150 and tear his leg Off when he Hooked it , into the Railroad Tracks.

That clip still gives me the heebie-jeebies. :o

If we're thinking of the same one, I believe he was in line twists, got them straightened out, and then realized where he was and panic-hooked.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I have over 150 skydive with a Super Raven. I have used a Raven II, III and III.
They where demo reserves with attachment points so they could be used as mains as well.
They are awsome.

What F111 7 cell skydiving mian best sets you up for base? Raven? Airforce? PD 7-cell? Or which one is better for skydiving?

pete

Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

Cruislites are one step away from black death for anything but a "no chance for object strike" type of jump,

I have a very good friend that did alot of his early jumps on a cruislite, some gnarly jumps too! (B's, A's, S's,E's!!) and he looks back and thinks - "mmmm maybe not the best canopy to do those on!!!)

why use anything than the tools for the job hey???

Just for clarity, the Raven was already set up with a bridle attachment point. It wasn't until the dash-m series that the bridle attachment point wasn't installed.

Ravens could be flown as either a main or a reserve. If it was regularily flown as a main, it was not to be put back in service as a reserve. However, the other way around is obviously ok.

Loads of Ravens are flying in DK as both main and reserve canopies,I like them alot,but i wouldnt use them for BASE,to that ill use my BASE gear,heck i guess i would use my BASE gear for skydives(as i sold my skydive gear),if i were allowed:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Tom A.!!

It's been a while...March 2002 in N.O., right? Unless you want to consider the A in AL that I rode down.

Glad to know your opinion on BruiseLites. As you may know, I've had to sell my BASE gear to pay for medical expenses. However, I do own a CruisLite, and I am thinking of converting it to a BASE canopy...but only for water-landings at the Perrine :-). As you may remember, I was pretty WIDE myself...so I'd prefer a water-landing at this point in time.

I've stood up all of my SKYDIVING landings on my CruisLite. The only "bruise" I've had on a "BruiseLite" was jumping a friend's that had about as many cigarette burns in it that it had jumps on it. It stalled at less than half-brakes. Mine is in good shape, and it stalls at full-breaks at 3-4 seconds. At this point though, I'd kill for a water-landing!!!!

What do you think, Tom, modify my CruisLite for water landings ONLY? Hope to c-ya soon.

Josh

Jumping a NON base canopy.

I have made my first 9 jumps a RAVEN III. If you are asking qwestions here you are doing one thing correct. I started jumping it before bridge day last year then at bridge day and a few other A and B jumps after that. from 225 - 830 feet.

I started making jumps on a FOX 245 VTEC over the 4th of july a the Perrine Bridge with the help of DONK and Tom, and a few other guys.

THE RAVEN IS NOW SEMI-RETIRED.. meaning the BASE RIG is my jumping rig. I will use the old raven and base container on a few jumps. such as Perrine, BD, and if I need a rig for a water landing.

Personally I would say get a base specific rig. they are cheap enough used and are worth the money.

JUST MY 2c

DT
www.justbase.com
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954