CanuckInUSA

Which is more dangerous

I didn't see any that were not either:
a) Gear malfunction, death on horizontal surface
or
b) Off heading opening, death on vertical surface

I suggest you read better... #8 ,#9 and #28 for instance were freefall object strikes...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Other things to consider are landing area or lack of one, winds (so much more important then in skydiving), guide wires on A's, security on B's, probible river currents on S's, object strikes on all of them, the list goes on and on.... Remember most BASE is in the middle of the night and things look different then.

Interesting is to hear how many jumpers take wire rides or break legs on rough terrian, take a swim with their rigs or have to freefall extra low to avoid being blown back into an object.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You're right about the other dangers, but in my mind, and based on the portion of the BASE deaths page I read (I didn't read the whole list), it doesn't seem like they significantly overshadow the risk of gear failure. I still noticed MANY incidents due to gear failure at a few hundred feet. Had that been 3000 feet with a reserve canopy, the jumper would have presumably been fine. The ONLY point I'm trying to make is that low altitude is a significant risk, and much more unforgiving of rigging errors. You could then blame those deaths on "rigging error", but the rigging error is so much more dangerous at low altitudes! Someone made a statement that low altitude was not significant compared to the other risks, but in the portion of the list I read it accounted for 30-40%.

If normal skydivers had no reserves, packed BASE rigs, and always opened low, the fatality rate would go up exponentially, regardless of how much care is put into packing mains, because malfunctions are bound to happen, and a double canopy system can increase your chances of survival exponentially (excluding entanglement issues, etc).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Sounds to me like you're comfort level lies closer to the skydiving arena. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm still not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

I'm trying to accomplish understanding. I stumbled across a BASE msg board this morning, read a post saying that risk of gear failing was "completely overshadowed" by other dangers in BASE jumping. I found that hard to believe, so I asked why. After finding a fatalities page in which a huge portion of the incidents are due to gear failure, I feel I can slightly more informedly maintain my opinion that gear failure is a significant risk that is not completely overshadowed by anything, though there may very well be many more risks in parallel.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think it's becoming obvious that I'm feeding a troll, so I'll stop posting to this thread.

The111, I think the explanation I offered was sufficient and you misread that statement.

Maybe I misread it a little, and maybe you misworded it a little. ;) I'm honestly not trying to troll, and maybe it is due to my skydiving background as you pointed out, but I really did feel like you put too little importance on the danger of gear failure in any freefall activity, specifically at low altitudes or with no reserve. Let's just agree to agree that gear failure may not be the most dangerous part of BASE jumping, but compared to normal skydiving, BASE jumping is significantly more dangerous even if you consider ONLY gear issues (and being a skydiver, these are the issues I would think of first). The other non-gear issues stacked on top of that only make it doubly more dangerous.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Personally, I'd be willing to freefall a 200' building on proper gear long before I'd take any skydiving rig off any object, under any conditions.

Admit it, you'd freefall that building in any case! :D I seem to remember a 210 foot building in A'dam and lots of tram wires in all directions. . .

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

it doesn't seem like they significantly overshadow the risk of gear failure

Define what "gear failure" is in your mind.

What you may consider to be a gear failure may not be in the eyes of others.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Hmm, not many fatalities in the past 5 years due to canopy "gear failure." A few PC problems (one a packing issue, one potentially a gear choice issue), and several instances of over-delaying while camera flying on one's back.

Lots and lots of object strike under canopy.

The statistics speak for themselves, really.

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

but in my mind, and based on the portion of the BASE deaths page I read (I didn't read the whole list), it doesn't seem like they significantly overshadow the risk of gear failure.

Are you a jounalist ?

but in the portion of the list I read it accounted for 30-40%.

If you had read some more would that figure have changed ?

and a double canopy system can increase your chances of survival exponentially

It would double them. :|

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

It would double them. :|

Sorry, but this is one area where I can respond confidently. I'm not a journalist but I do understand basic probability. If one canopy has a 1/500 chance of failing (this is a dummy value, we could spend forever arguing what the real values of real canopies are), two canopies have a 1/250000 chance of both failing in the same jump. 1/500 * 1/500 OR (1/500)^2. NOT 1/500 + 1/500.

but in the portion of the list I read it accounted for 30-40%.

If you had read some more would that figure have changed ?

The statistics speak for themselves, really.

I read the whole list. There are 72 numbered fatalities. As far as I can tell, 23 of them had nothing to do with the "BASE-nature" of the jump (i.e. cliffs, winds, wires, rivers, etc). These 23 incidents would have turned out exactly the same had the jumper exited an airplane over an open field at the altitude of his base jump. Their cause is primarily his low altitude and lack of reserve (and lack of time to open one!). They are listed on the page as 2, 10, 15, 17, 21, 22, 30, 31, 33, 36, 37, 48, 49, 51, 52, 53, 56, 57, 60, 61, 67, 69, 71. Some of these may be open for debate, but it is my opinion based on my limited skydiving knowledge that had these jumpers been placed 3000 feet higher with a reserve canopy when their incident occured, they would have been able to escape alive with proper emergency procedures.

I'm ready and waiting to be accused again of trolling, but all I've done is attempted to back up my previous opinions (that altitude, or lack thereof, is a significant BASE risk) with numbers.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

From my point of view, ie a low jump skydiver with no BASE jumps or experience,
and the only technical knowledge being what i've read or asked,
i see BASE as a discipline that is almost a form of art,
the dynamics involved are obviously more critical, and the gear to some extent is low tech,
and is kept that way because it means less can go wrong.

The whole point (from my perspective) is about assessing an object,
working out the maths, the approach, the landing, access, the equipment and the excitement of getting away with it,
the fact that its low altitude is not really a valid parameter, as you work out your delay to your object and your abilities,
and the jump itself is the middle of a complicated series of events.

As for gear failure i think BASE jumpers are far more anal about their gear than skydivers,
but as you rightly say its a one shot affair and to that extent skydiving maybe a safer option,
but even so, it still has its own unique risks.

At the top right of the BASE forum page Tom has put a link called "Getting into BASE" read it a few times.

Btw.. why did you start skydiving ? because it was totally safe ?

I'm fucking winning

Btw.. why did you start skydiving ? because it was totally safe ?

Obviously not. I think skydiving and BASE jumping both have attractive elements, probably for the same reasons you or anyone else on this board do. I haven't tried BASE jumping yet and don't plan on it anytime soon, but it certainly does look attractive and maybe one day I will. I'm *not* trying to say "BASE jumpers are teh suck becuz they risk their lives", I'm just saying that the low altitude is a significant risk in the sport, or as you put it (maybe more accurately), it's a "one shot affair", where as with skydiving you get a second shot sometimes. Probably that's actually much more significant, as the 23 events I listed would have been prevented by a reserve AND higher altitude, not just higher altitude.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've done is attempted to back up my previous opinions (that altitude, or lack thereof, is a significant BASE risk) with numbers.

So what is your suggestion ? this ?

but it is my opinion based on my limited skydiving knowledge that had these jumpers been placed 3000 feet higher with a reserve canopy when their incident occured, they would have been able to escape alive with proper emergency procedures.

I guess people should stop BASE jumping then.

Although i'm sure the families of #'s 2, 10, 15, 17, 21, 22, 30, 31, 33, 36, 37, 48, 49, 51, 52, 53, 56, 57, 60, 61, 67, 69, 71, are probebly talking to their solicitors right now after reading this bombshell.

I'm fucking winning

2 - Rigging error
10 - Inexperience/Poor Equipment Choice
15 - Poor equipment choice
17 - Excessive Delay
21 - Equipment problem
22 - Equipment problem/Poor Equipment Choice
30 - Inexperience/Poor Equipment Choice
31 - Rigging error
33 - Excessive Delay
36 - Excessive Delay/Inexperience
37 - Excessive Delay/Inexperience
48 - Excessive Delay
49 - Unknown (note parachute was deployed)
51 - Inexperience/Poor Equipment Choice
52 - Poor Equipment Choice
53 - Pilot Error
56 - Excessive Delay
57 - Equipment Problem (possibly)
60 - Excessive Delay
61 - Equipment Problem (possible rigging error)
67 - Equipment Problem
69 - Equipment Problem
71 - Rigging Error

I only count 6 that could arguably be due strictly to a malfunction of some sort (i.e. no rigging errors and proper gear selection). That's 1/12 of the incidents.

Of the ones you listed, 7 were excessive delays, which have nothing to do with equipment failure. Another 6 were caused by inexperience or selection of equipment totally inappropriate for the jump. I wouldn't classify those as malfuctions or failures.

- Z

Rfarris is right about wing loading.

If I may step in here for a minute....

I have to say the only thing I am right about pertaining to high wing loading and swooping is how it relates to ME, and my personal opinions or beliefs on the subject of which sport is more dangerous.

RIGHT, I believe RFarris would be in more danger swooping a highly loaded canopy with the associated hook turns, carves, corners, plane outs, run outs, etc..., than I am jumping off my tower(s).

The original question of "Which is more dangerous" maybe should have been asked, Which sport is most dangerous to you?

But please yall continue. I'm learning a thing or two about statistics and probability here :)

Rod
FW#1

A death caused by rigging error is related to the low altitude single-canopy (one chance only) nature of the BASE jump. Rigging errors are inevitable, no one is perfect. With a chance to pull a second canopy though, you have increased your safety a lot. Poor equipment choice is also related to low altitude... I understand your point that had they chosen better equipment their incident would not have happened... but in that specific case, I see the ultimate killer as low altitude, because with low altitude comes the requirement of more stringent gear selection (hence risk). As far as excessive delay... this is the most obviously related to low altitude... a delay that is 5 seconds too long in a BASE jump can be certain death, a delay that is 5 seconds too long in a skydive is a low deployment probably.

I didn't say all my selected cases were definitely malfunctions, I chose them because they were not related to non-altitude variables (cliffs, winds, rivers, etc). All of them would have probably turned out exactly the same from a low plane, but possibly turned out much better from a high plane. Looking at those conditions the deciding factor in my mind is altitude... BUT I can see how it is actually possible to see this issue from two sides. If you take the low altitude as a given, then the gear selection is the deciding factor, which is your perspective. But since I was originally debating whether or not low altitude is a risk, I cannot take that as a given.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I guess people should stop BASE jumping then.

I already said the point of my post was NOT to say that BASE jumping = bad...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If you take the low altitude as a given, then the gear selection is the deciding factor, which is your perspective. But since I was originally debating whether or not low altitude is a risk, I cannot take that as a given.

In BASE low altitude is a given.

- Z

>In BASE low altitude is a given.

And in many instances desired...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

In BASE low altitude is a given.

Yeh, but we were comparing BASE to general skydiving, where altitude varies. The original point was whether or not the low altitude of BASE makes it much more dangerous than regular skydiving. I still think it does (not so much the altitude, but the inability to recover from a single malfunction or late pull or slow opening), in addition to the many other things which make it dangerous.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

High is a relative term. Jump from 1700 feet, then fall for 10 or 11 seconds you're not up high any more. In skydiving 1700 feet is not very high. In BASE it's pretty darn significant.

I would never jump a skydiving rig off any fixed object no matter how tall it is, especially knowing what BASE specific gear is available today.

Unless you come watch how to set up a BASE rig, it will make no sense.

C-ya
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

(And yet, "Parachutist" magazine actively encourages people to swoop, by promoting the swoop competitions around the globe. And they censor BASE!!?? Whatup with that sh-t?)

No shit. Ironic how Skydiving magazine covers BASE, but Parachutist won't. Dicks. Skydiving magazine kicks ass. Parachutist suck. Good photos, though.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I'm not a journalist but I do understand basic probability. If one canopy has a 1/500 chance of failing (this is a dummy value, we could spend forever arguing what the real values of real canopies are), two canopies have a 1/250000 chance of both failing in the same jump. 1/500 * 1/500 OR (1/500)^2. NOT 1/500 + 1/500.

I do belive that you DONT understand.But if you have knowleged that we dont have,then please tell...

so when we freefall 200ft we should cut our main,and pull the reserve?sorry,it wont work...

please see my latest video were i freefall 200ft(sorry Blair,i only used the breakcord in 400ft:ph34r::D but promice that that S is mine as i get home from my trip to come;)),there are even a high pull (400ft aprox 2sec delay,im not even sure i would cut a main and pull a reserve there.. ftp://207.189.27.51/public/BASE/Faberlow.mpg
When you (the111)has seen it then please tell me were i had the time to cut a main,pull a reserve and get it over my head...

USE BASE GEAR FOR BASE,AND SKYDIVE GEAR FOR SKYDIVE,that simple..

ohh to the guy on this board that freefalled a 150ft Cliff.. hmm damn..:ph34r::D respect i dont get my fat ass freefalling under 200ft..haha

Stay safe
Stefan Faber