TomAiello

If there was no risk, would you still BASE jump?

Just saw a similar poll in talkback, and was wondering if there is a significant difference in the mentalities of BASE jumpers and skydivers.

I realize that the simple yes/no is perhaps a little too simple, but let's see what turns up...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think you'll get the same response as this question,

"If there was no risk, would you still get married ?" B|

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I would not jump if there was no risk.

Removing all the risk from BASE jumping would take away the significance of every jump. It would take away all the feelings you get from the jump.We would no longer be special (and I do believe that what we do is very special. There's not many people, even in the skydiving community, that can/would do what we do.)

There is no risk in bowling or golf, so I choose not to participate. Risk is a big part of what defines me as a person. I cherish the opportunities to test and learn about myself. I even have a tattoo on my right calf that is Kanji/hirigana for, "dangerous,risky" or abunai in japanese. Risk taking is not something one decides to do. You feel it.

BASE jumping is not a sport you choose. BASE jumping chooses you.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

what a good line.

i were the first to say no in this poll.I can say i didnt tell why, by 2 reasons

1. im not tecnical good at english
2.i dont want to look like a "ithinkimabadassguy"

i think Dexter told it the best way i could imagin.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I thought I was the only one with this thought.

I answered YES to the poll. Or at least I think I'd still BASE jump if there were no risks. I don't consider myself to be "driven" by an attraction to risk. But I'm sure one visit with a shrink and I'd learn otherwise.:S Who knows, who cares. It's fun.

On a side note, and I'm sure this will etch someone's glass, I feel I am at more risk skydiving than I do when I am BASE jumping. For me personally, I am more affraid of the things/risks I can't control than those I can. In short, for instance: aircraft failure, someone's reserve firing in the plane, another jumper crashing into me in freefall, canopy collisions, those types of things. When I skydive to this day, I still worry about those things. Things that could have a drastic outcome for me, but were not really initiated by me.

For me, BASE presents a whole different level of risk, but it's a risk I feel I have more control of, and am comfortable with.

Of course I could be wrong.

Rod

I answered yes because I can't imagine how fun it would be to fly unencumbered without fear of injury or death. I would do it just like I still play "regular" sports now. They are fun, not risky. I do BASE because "it chose me" as stated above. If it were just another fun thing to do, then I have no doubt that some other way to risk life and limb, and feel that "now" would choose to reach out and grab me. Yes, I would still BASE, but for different reasons.

risk is definitely part of the attraction and a very motivating and important part but still only a part.

Looking around in freefall and falling through the environment rather than at it is also a major plus. Watching cliffs and antennas go past my feet has to be one of the highlights of my life so far

Yes, I would carry on jumping

1. im not tecnical good at english

....you don't say?:P
...FUN FOR ALL!

One of the big aspects of BASE is to overcome your fear and/or to feel the adrenaline, too approach the unknown in form of opening distance to the ground and object strike.

By removing risk you inherently removes all these factors, that makes BASE, BASE.

Removing risk removes training, the need for knowledge, improvement. Hitting the ground with a closed container, changes from nightmare to routine. What have you achieved?

It will merely become an activity, such as driving two cars oposite ways on the free-way at 100mph, 1 or 2 feet apart from each other. It doesn't bother you, nor does it stimulate you anymore than your grand mother.

Doing the same with the cars, add the possibility of a 180, and granny is going to stay at home.

Sex without the climax, this is what you are asking of me. A challenge without the possibility of victory or failure.

I would continue jumping just for the visuals - in the same way I would sit on a hill watching the sun set - taking in the marvellous visuals.......... no risk just natural beauty............ but I would have to replace that risk with something - it is me as a person to test myself and enjoy the challenge that high risk gives you............take away the risk and I think you would loose the aspect that gives me the challenge, the freedom, the control, the commitment, the accomplishment, the feelings of well being, the roller coaster emotional rides, the fear, the happiness, the detachment, the attachment, the people, the experiences, and many more things I get from this sport that MY bad grasp of English can not begin to explain to myself let alone other people
- that all stem from the risk aspect.

"You dont Choose BASE, BASE Chooses you" - I could not agree more...............

Dont Cha just love it!!!

B|

Be Safe everyone..........

Faber - you not online much at the moment?? Drop me an eMail to my works add!!!

CYA!

I would totally still jump if there were no risk. 50% of my recreational activities involve some elevated risk of life/limb, the other 50% does not - and I enjoy them all for different reasons.

I don't know about bowling being safe? I once mistakenly kicked a Bowling Ball. It hurt. I can see the risk with that sport.

I would have to replace that risk with something - it is me as a person to test myself and enjoy the challenge that high risk gives you............take away the risk and I think you would loose the aspect that gives me the challenge, the freedom, the control, the commitment, the accomplishment, the feelings of well being, the roller coaster emotional rides, the fear, the happiness, the detachment, the attachment, the people, the experiences, and many more things I get from this sport

what he said,thats just why i think i would stop BASE if there werent no risk in it.I really enjoy the visual,but most of all i love the emotions i get as im gearing up for a BASE.Whith out risk i wouldnt get that feeling

Faber - you not online much at the moment?? Drop me an eMail to my works add!!!

Im jumping my arse off,when i dont work parttime;)or make mony at the dz.
I dont have your new mail drop a line.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Tim, I'm just curious... What's your answer?

OK I changed what DexterBase said.:P

With out the risk I'd probably do it a few times and think.."That was cool. What's next"?

Studying an object, whether it can or should be done is all part of an amazing emotional and technical challenge. Recently I stood on an edge looking down at a street and palm trees and a few Light poles and such. A few days later I was asked what I felt while standing on that edge.

An extended answer to the above question goes something like this

After practicing the launch and mentally preparing for this (we had plenty of time since there were patrol cars a couple blocks away), I finally climbed over the rail. The platform was quite large so standing there took no effort. When it was time to go... I looked down at this amazing view and audibly (not loudly) said... 'This Makes No Sense....3-2-1 C-ya"

Landing and quickly gathering up my stuff was such a reward. Driving away unseen, remembering the cool visuals of the Trees coming up, Flying just over the trees then back on to the road put a very satisfying smile on my face.

With out the risk, it would not be interesting.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Yep, I'd still jump as it is a fun thing to do physically - particularly backcountry stuff. Not all things in life need be risky to be fun.

However, were the risk removed then I am sure I'd look elsewhere for a way to "scratch that itch." I've cycled through many high-risk behaviors in my years (mountaineering, high-end soloing, driving crotch rockets very very fast, handling young stallions, psychedelic drugs, etc.), and BASE is doing a nice job of keeping that demon in line for me the last few years. It's always something, isn't it?

This has been my risk-fun game for most of this summer:

http://www.osjs.com/Shows.htm

Nowadays it is quite possible to do lots of BASE with very little risk and many people do this. Remember that risk is not the same as fear: roller coasters are scary, but not really risky. Experiencing fear can in and of itself be fun, but we need not have risk alongside fear, or the converse.

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

My 6 BASE jumps to date have been hand-held short delays off a highly publicized, widely-known, tourist attraction of a legal 486-foot span with a massive landing area and a boat for water landings. I suspect the risk of these jumps, when carefully planned and executed, is comparable to high-risk skydives like CRW (which I also enjoy.)

I have no plans to perform BASE jumps with massively higher risk levels than these. I don't expect to freefall 180' Bs with required 90-degree turns into concrete parking lots for instance. Or have low-pull contests with Aussies. Or try to out-track ledges with still-drying wet marks on them. I'll leave that to others.

I agree with Doug that fear is somewhat independent of risk. I get sufficient fear just from leaving solid ground. I don't need to add limitless risk on top of that.

If I could magically surround myself with a Do-Not-Hurt-Me field before every skydive or BASE jump, I would gladly do so. I'd be much more inclined to do silly jumps then. As long as I'm fantasizing, I'd like to also have a Do-Not-Arrest-Me field. Then I might consider some of the more outlandish homeland-security objects.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Remember that risk is not the same as fear: roller coasters are scary, but not really risky. Experiencing fear can in and of itself be fun, but we need not have risk alongside fear, or the converse.

Peace,

D-d0g

This is probably the most insightful and the smartest thing I've read in a long time... Hope to meet you sometime Dog...

I know I'd do a lot more if the risk was less...

Skypuppy
BASE 92
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

D-dog,
is that you riding Capone?
Is Capone yours?

Beautiful horse, awesome pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
Never tried it, but imagine it must be wonderful and terrifying both to be sailing over a jump on the back of a horse...
Kudos...

D-dog,
is that you riding Capone?
Is Capone yours?

Beautiful horse, awesome pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
Never tried it, but imagine it must be wonderful and terrifying both to be sailing over a jump on the back of a horse...
Kudos...

I imported Capone as a 2.5 year old young stallion from Germany and did most all of his training through his first Grand Prix, which I rode with him when he was 5.

Since then I sold him and my other boys to some investors who can keep developing them financially. I work with the investors nowadays to manage the horses and help out with collections, schooling, security, etc.

Alas, due in large part to my BASE injuries it is hard for me to jump the "big" fences (1.4 meters or about 4.5 feet and up) routinely and not end up very lame (broken ankles, mostly). So now I school and coach and my good friend Isauro rides the boys in the larger classes. It is much scarier to watch from outside the ring than it is to be in the saddle, for sure!

I've been riding since I was 2 (before I learned to walk) and competed for almost 10 years as a kid in the hunter rigs (two Pony Hunter championships to my credit) and honestly for me riding and jumping are no scarier than running down a sidewalk. Well, actually, running down sidewalks is pretty scary for me with all my gimpy joints!

The interesting thing I've found is how much BASE has helped my riding. I've most certainly developed more consistent and stronger "grace under pressure" skills since I started jumping three years ago. This has helped me so much in working with horses that are easily spooked, particularly stallions. They react so much to our emotional state as riders - for me, being able to smoothly enter what I call "the Zen state" before I ride has brought lots more confidence to the horses I train and compete.

Someday I want to be issued "Grand Prix BASE #1" as the only BASE fool who has also completed as a GP showjumper! Not much crossover between those two sports ;)

My fears with horses are all about "my boys" being injured during training or competition. I have no concern over being hurt myself - I've been injured so much and I heal pretty well. But the risk of the horses being hurt is something I try hard to make smaller and smaller every day.

Oh, and earlier this summer Capone and Isauro were unofficially invited to join the 2004 Canadian Olympic showjumping team. Needless to say, this brings me great pride though we have much yet to do before we're officially on the team and headed for Athens next summer! B|

Peace,

D-d0g

ps: photo of me jumping Capone around the Modified circuit when he was a baby at 4 years age.
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.