Predator reserve

I'm looking for information about the predator reserve canopy.

Anybody around here know who made these reserves (link to an internetsite maybe)?
Also I would like to know if anybody here has got some experience with this reserve (you know, how does it handle and stuff like that)

Thanks. karma

- I think this is the only 9 cell reserve ever made (??)

Most if not all Tandem Reserves are built on a 9 cell planform.

OK didn't know that... Seen enough tandem reserves, just never counted the cells :S

But, why 9 cell reserves? What's the advantage of that, and why specifically for tandems (which I don't know all that much about)?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

- I think this is the only 9 cell reserve ever made (??)

Most if not all Tandem Reserves are built on a 9 cell planform.

But, why 9 cell reserves? What's the advantage of that, and why specifically for tandems (which I don't know all that much about)?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tandem reserves have 9-cells because of the width of the fabric when it is woven and because they are HUGE!.
Also, most tandem reserve designs started out as main canopies. For example, I have 50 or so jumps on PD-360 mains and about 1500 on Strong 425 mains.
As Precision learned - with their 9-cell Falcon series of reserves - customers value smaller pack volume (7-cell) over any improvement in performance (9-cell).

Your average 7-cell has an aspect ratio of about 2.2/1 while your average 9-cell has an aspect ratio of about 2.6/1. Since glide ratio is directly related to aspect ratio, 9-cells normally glide and flare better. However, most skydivers are not willing to carry the bulk of two extra ribs and sets of lines in their reserve containers.

I had my first reserve ride on jump 50, on one of these, a Predator R 170. It was preceded by a cutaway and was not a deployment at terminal velocity, the opening was quite smooth.

It didn't feel very different from my 210 main canopy, except perhaps that it was a little faster and more responsive. I had never jumped a 170 canopy before. The most obvious handling difference was the exceptionaly long steering lines on this one, my knuckles were almost dragging on the grass to get any kind of flare on it. I only barely managed to stand up the landing, even with a 10kt headwind.

The colors were interesting too, a mix of green and lemon yellow rather than conventional reserve colors.
It was rental gear and I'm no rigger so I have no idea about the structural merits of these reserves.

i've just had my first ride on my predator 170 reserve in deland, i tried to have a quick play and find the flare point but with the toggles all the way down it really didn't seem to have any flare at all. landed hard and broke my hand. had the toggles all the way down, just really didn't seem to have any flare in it.

I have about 6 rides on a Predator 150 R loaded to about 1.3
and landed at 5000ft AMSL.

It was made by Chute Shop in the early 1990's. (Now Parachute Systems)

Closest common comparison would be the PD range of F-111 9 cells.

I chose this reserve for use in a CRW rig due to it's nice landings, and my high rate of chops, so what I'm reading here sounds like it's from people who have too much ZP 9 cell experience. (or not enough F-111 7 cell experience.)

I don't think 9 cells is too smart for a reserve. There seems a greater chance of off heading openings, and perhaps also longer inflation times. These issues never really concerned me doing CRW since we stopped working at about 3500ft, so I would have time on my side.

It certainly performed better than any ride I had on a Tempo, which is what I replaced it with.

I now use PD reserves.

t
It's the year of the Pig.