Chris-Ottawa

My first XRW jumps

Thought I'd share one of the videos and a few photos of my first XRW attempts. I was hesitant and unable to close the last bit of gap as I was trying to figure out the best flight position. That being said, I can't wait for more! By far, one of my favorite jump days yet.

The wingsuits were:
Aura
Jedei 1.5
X2
R-Bird2 Pro

The canopies were stock, no trim tabs, and very little weight was worn. Some weren't wearing any weight.
JVX 75
Comp Velo 71
Peregrine 71 (not positive on the size)
Comp Velo 74
Valkyrie 71 (again, not positive on the size)

Sorry for the terrible video edit...I did it quick and dirty.

Video (My Perspective)
https://youtu.be/PyoUFhjYhto

Photos (Mostly from the Canopy Pilots perspective)
http://imgur.com/a/na3nz

Critique is welcomed, but here's what I already see:
I'm quite a bit more arched than the pilot of the Jedei. He's also got his knees kicked out and his arms are much flatter. All things to try on the next attempts. Maybe it's just the difference in suit styles and pilot weight, but only time will tell.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I'm guessing that the pilots were around 170-180ish pounds (average). That puts an estimated exit weight of 195-205lbs, and a wingloading of 2.6 to 2.88 (on a 71sq/ft).

Including weights, I think it's safe to say that the wingloads were generally around 3.0

The X2 and the R-Bird weren't able to make it in on this jump, and some of the canopies ended up being too floaty. As such, it ended up being a 4/5 way.

As far as why it took so long to get out, it's generally because we don't want to get out on top of the canopy pilots, but also to give them time to stow their RDS and get set up tightly together. It was only 10 or 12 seconds before we started exiting.

That being said, none of us are XRW experts, however I'd be happy to hear your recommendations so we can improve next time. Is there a better way to do this?

Break it down into smaller groups.
Have 1 canopy, with max 2 wingsuits to prevent traffic issues.
Don't throw whole groups at a cloud of canopies:P;)

As to the setup, plenty of methods and all can be made to work.
That's just a matter of practice.

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Jarno,

Any suggestions on break altitude, separation at break off (direction, distance, time, etc)?

I would imagine as big suits and highly experienced (or at least pseudo-highly experienced) canopy pilots become more common (pseudo-highly experienced wingsuit pilots for that matter), there will be a lot more XRW attempts where no one on the jump has XRW or very little XRW experience. Some suggestions from someone like you might be helpful. ;) Or would that be opening a can of worms?

Hi,

We are writing up a set of recommendations for XRW for both wingsuits and canopy fliers with our national federation (APF). When we get it sorted out, will be happy to share. This is a big can of worms - sooner or later people will go in, so at least this will provide some basic guidance

A couple of things – the “ease” of this has improved a lot in the last 3-4 years with advances in canopy and wingsuit design. This means that it is in more reach of more jumpers which has pro’s and cons. The big thing to realise, this is a great new way to kill each other. Most people don’t appreciate this

When we do first jumps we suggest people do them with experienced pilots so that there is “no surprises” and that we can all fly at a common platform. E.g. we did a number of jumps at farm with new people in small groups with 1 experienced CP & WS to start them off. This seems to work very well. Reading about it is not the same as getting coached

We would also limit the size of jumps (and complexity)
No dynamic style jumps until they get good and are super heads up, etc
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus