HomeyTheClown

Hot Wings

Does anyone know if there have been any experiments or designs for some kind heated wingsuit? We all know heat rises. It seems like the technology is already here if not very close. Some sort of lightweight heating coils throughout heat resistant rib material... maybe with a lightweight battery power source and materials. Wouldn't that create some more lift if someone could perfect it? It would be warm but with adequate hydration shouldn't be an issue? Or am I missing a big roadblock/drawback? Thoughts?

hang gliders / paragliders work off thermals generated by the sun heating the earth and riding that particular column of hot air rising. a hot air balloon works by filling (going off the hot air balloon i ground crew for and jump out of) filling a 90,000 cubic foot envelope and using a 15,000,000 BTU burner (the pilot i work uses 2 of those burners.) that 90,000 cubic foot envelope will get about 1500lbs buoyant at about 200 degrees inside the envelope and 50 degrees outside temp. a ~300fpm climb with that much weight and those outside temps will happen at about 240 degrees inside the envelope. 250 is red line.

in short...give me some of what you're smoking

Get one of Scotty Burns old wingsuits.
Put a tandem rig on it.
Put two people inside, because 98.6 +98.6 = 197.2 degrees. This temperature is somewhat close to what is happening inside of a hot air balloon's envelope and you're lifting a lot less weight.
The person on the bottom needs to hold really still/be inert. They're only there to provide body heat.
You'll want Cameroon fabric though, because it is the lowest porosity per ounce fabric available.

Conversely, you *might* be able to achieve a similar effect with stick-on heating pads (the disposable kind). I had some of these on my ass at one event, and they got too hot. Drogaline stuck em' to his head and shoulders after they'd been on my ass all morning, and he was definitely flying pretty damn high after that, so I'd say it had a positive affect.

On the other hand, instead of a Montgolfier/heated balloon, one has to ponder if a Rozier balloon might make some sense (Helium instead of hot air). It has met with success for professional lawn-chair pilots...

Then, kinda wonder what might happen if you *mixed* the two types, it would sure be a helluva show. Adding methane and a fast-back igniter may reduce the need for fuel packs (less weight to lift).
Give it a whirl.

You can reduce your weight by no more than the mass of the air that you displace. So, best case, a few grams. You would be better off making a trip to the restroom before the jump.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

mccordia

Just order a black wingsuit, and stand around in it for 10 minutes and it will be hotter than hell the day Hitler arrived!

jeb didn't wait for the 10 minutes in Capetown. Missed the last 30 seconds :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM