DJL

Do airlocked canopies take longer to open?

Mine takes a long time and I'm wondering if the airlocks have anything to do with it. It's a Paraflite Turbo ZX 185. Another possibility is that it's mfg 97 and has about 350 jumps on it so it might be out of trim. The slider is what it came with. The ZP is still very slick. As for the packing, I do everything in the book to get it to open quick, all to no avail.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

A guy I know that jumped a Turbo ZX actually took a coffee can, used it to draw a circle in the middle of his slider, and cut the hole. Needless to say his slider fell apart after a while, but it solved his "super super SUPER slow opening" "problem"

Would I do that? Hell no!

Talk to your rigger about your issues, have him/her inspect the canopy, etc and let him/her give you suggestions to solve your problem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Paraflite Turbo ZX is not Airlocked.

The only Airlocked canopies I'm aware of are the Jedei, Samuari, Lotus, Vengence, Sensei and the Shogun. AirTime Designs built the Jedei. Big Air builds the Sam, Lotus, Shogun and the Sensei and PD makes the Vengence.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Needless to say his slider fell apart after a while,

However a "Ported Slider" can be reinforced and done properly.

I know of a couple original Omegas that were fixed this way.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The Paraflite Turbo ZX is not Airlocked.

The only Airlocked canopies I'm aware of are the Jedei, Samuari, Lotus, Vengence, Sensei and the Shogun. AirTime Designs built the Jedei. Big Air builds the Sam, Lotus, Shogun and the Sensei and PD makes the Vengence.

Definitely not airlocked, I've know someone who used to jump one. Very snivelly though...probably 600-750 footer's every time I watched him deploy it.

As for airlocks opening slower, the Samurai demo I had last summer opened soft, but didn't have as much snivel as my Stiletto. Comfy openings, but nicely quick.

The Vengeance I tried was bit more on the extreme end of snivel over my Stiletto's average 450-650' openings, but not uncomfortably so. Danced like hell and dove towards the right pretty consistantly at the end though.;)

As always, YMMV.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Im not sure about the airlocked canopy you have, but how [does] that swiftplus 70 reserve loaded at 2.9 open?

And why use your old airlocked when you have a xaos loaded at 2.4 at 180 jumps?

It's not what you think; he lands with them both open every time. (He's got a third canopy as a "real" reserve, but there's no room to list it in the profile.) ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Im not sure about the airlocked canopy you have, but how [does] that swiftplus 70 reserve loaded at 2.9 open?

And why use your old airlocked when you have a xaos loaded at 2.4 at 180 jumps?

It lands sweet but I didn't get it until I saw someone hook turn their landing so that I would know what to do. Everyone thinks I'm cool now.

As for the ZX, I see after looking at http://www.performancedesigns.com/vengeance.htm that I'm all wrong. When I got it, the material that is on the nose in front of each rib was described to me to be an air lock of some type. The ZX is basically my backup that I'm jumping again since my regular Tri 160 is in the shop. I'm exhausting the reasons it could open slow before I do something as drastic as a reline or a port on the slider. It's a moose but I'm having fun jumping it, especially now that I can fly it better than when I got it as my starter. I just don't like having to wrestle the risers one every opening. I think I'll go with a port on the slider and be done with it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

A guy I know that jumped a Turbo ZX actually took a coffee can, used it to draw a circle in the middle of his slider, and cut the hole. Needless to say his slider fell apart after a while, but it solved his "super super SUPER slow opening" "problem"

Would I do that? Hell no!

Talk to your rigger about your issues, have him/her inspect the canopy, etc and let him/her give you suggestions to solve your problem.

Or I have seen a Bikini Slider..used to Jump one way back when...believe it or not an old Raven reserve with a Bikini Slider..:D
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.