devildog

Phantom2 routing / manual

Was looking at a phantom 2 where the cutaway for the wings runs down the chest instead of the arms. Since the only suit I've jumped was an I-bird, this was a different setup and was curious about it. How does rig get attached to this since it seems that the cables block the hole for the hip? Or is there a trick (and while I'm thinking about it, is it that annoying?)? I tried looking at PF's online manual, but it seems they only have the manual up for the newer routing system.

Thanks!
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

@devildog

The suit you have is not covered by the manual posted above. If you look at it closely, you will probably find that one of the tabs where the cutaway laces up through will be marked in some way by a previous owner. When lacing it together, miss out the marked tabs and that's where the laterals and front of rig (just below handles) come through. You may need to adjust one or 2 up or down depending on your own rig though.

Looking through it, there's also a few bits of info in that manual that are a little outdated:

"The Phantom 2 is an intermediate wingsuit; it is not suitable for beginner wingsuit pilots."

With suitable instruction the Phantom series of wingsuits are now considered perfectly suitable for a first flight.

"reasons you may want to cut your wings away could be:
• You are unstable or not comfortable with your flight. (You can cut the wings away in freefall
and bring your arms up into a box position)"

Not something we recommend anymore. Keep arms in suit and fly out of the "instability".

It's too bad your FFC instructor didn't show you how to rig every type of suit (like I do). Here's a general rule of thumb for "lace up" suits. YMMV:

Lay your rig on the ground with the backpad facing up. Lay the suit on top of the rig and place the wings through the main liftwebs. Stick your legstrap hardware through the holes in the side of the suityou have tabs on both the "suit" side and the "wing" side. Both on the front and the back of the suit. On the FRONT of the suit you are GENERALLY going to skip either the THIRD or FOURTH tab down on the "wing" side when lacing up the suit. Lace the suit from bottom to top and when you get to that "skipped" tab, route the cable BEHIND the main lift web and do two on the backside, then continue all the way up to the top. I'm a shorter guy, so I generally always skip the third tab down. Taller guys will generally skip the fourth one down. On the backside of the suit you are generally going to skip the FOURTH or FIFTH tab down from the top on the Wing. Start lacing from bottom to top and when you get to the "skip" tab route the cable UNDER the side laterals, do an extra "suit" side tab, then continue to the top. Make DAMN SURE that the left and right side rigging match up. If they do not, then your suit will have a "built-in turn".

Hope that makes sense to you.

Chuck Blue
DragonFly Wingsuit School

That makes perfect sense, and you along with the others have shed light on the mystery, thanks. As it turns out, I'm skipping #4 on both, so it's easy to remember.

Thanks a ton!

p.s. oh, and where I did my FFC, it was a smaller dz, so the few suits they had to demo were all newer and there wasn't one like this to show at all.

Ok, 2nd question. I rigged it up with the above advice (thanks again), marked where I skipped and what not for later. Now then, once I'm down and the rig is off, do I need to take the wings off to pack or can I lay it down (as shown)? Since I only had time for one jump today, I just took the wings off, put the suit away and then packed. Anywho, maybe I'm being a little OCD about this, but will packing as shown cause excess wear or something else I'm not aware of?

Thanks!