devildog

Skyflyer?

Okay, so I searched, I promise, but I didn't see much of anything at least in terms of specifics on what I wanted to know. The short of it is, I did my first flight course last weekend (which was awesome!) and I'm now looking at what's out there in terms of getting myself a suit. My one and only jump was on an I-bird, and this weekend I'm hoping to get at least a few more on it (dz loaner).

So, that being said, I saw on Chuting Star they have a few Skyflyers (http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/used-gear/jumpsuits) which are all a perfect fit for me (I'm just under 6'2", 180#), but I really don't know much about these suits other than they are older. Are these skyflyers purely intro suits like the i-bird? Or are they considerably more advanced? Will I out grow it fast or will it be too much for me to really get any use out of? My initial thought was to try and find a t-bird and use that for a year or two before going up a notch. But if $600, and even if i only use it for a year (and can learn from it) and sell it for half that, I'd be happy.

What I obviously don't want is something too big (where I learn nothing) or something I'll hit the development wall with. So any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks!
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

The Skyflyer was a high performance suit, first in the direct line of development that's ended up as the PF Vampire series.

You'll find it to be significantly harder to fly, both in controllability and accessing the performance, than modern intermediate level suits that will ultimately offer more performance and a greater range.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I did my first couple hundred jumps on skyfliers back in the day. they were the top performance suits on the market during the mid 2000s, but have been eclipsed by several intermediate suits. They are more difficult to fly due to a very narrow leg wing stance. If you can find a similarly priced phantom, or better yet, phantom 2, youll be happier for longer. Still a decent suit, and you can learn a lot on one.

Dec 5, 2007. Back when the skyflier was boss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-M10hdW4tE

Hjumper hit the nail on the head: narrow legwing. When the Skyflyer first came it out it was definitely not suitable for newbie wingsuiters, yet I know of at least two people who made their first flights on them when they first came out. Personally, I really liked the original version. It was really easy to backfly in, particularly when you added stiffeners to the wingtips, like on the S3 and S6. They aren't backvented in any way, but they are still good suits. A modern day Phantom (1/2/or3) is a far superior suit though as far as general performance and utility goes.

Chuck

Well, based on the 3 replies above, looks like I'll still be looking around. Thanks!

A Skyflyer3 (or 6), on the other hand, might still be a lot of fun! Probably the suit that brings me the best memories. But I'd still recommend at least 50 jumps in a smaller suit first, even if that is ultra conservative by today's standards.

EDIT: This one is definitely not a stock S1. Says it's a custom Robi build and looks closer to an S3, but still different. I think I count 5 leg cells, and I think the S3 only has 4.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com