sunnydee123

Painting Helmet - Good or Bad Idea?

OK so I am itching to have my helmet be bright yellow (it is currently white) and I am wondering if it is total mistake to take on the task myself. I don't want to "f" up my helmet by trying to do something if it is a bigger task then I think.

Anyone ever paint there own helmet (and I'm not talking to the pro's with airbrush gadgets and stuff)....???? Can a normal "Joe" go buy some spray paint and have it hold up to the rigors of the sky?

Thanks gang.......waiting for suggestions cause I want to go get the stuff YESTERDAY ;)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

SunnyDee - check with Cowden - he put some flaming - whoops - flame design on one of his helmets (don't tell him I said so, but it looks pretty cool)

SId
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Easy to paint, not so easy to get the perfect results you see on your brand spankin new helmet.

If you enjoy doing stuff for yourself, then do it. Express yourself.

You need to get some very fine grit wet/dry sand paper and scuff it up a bit before you spray on that new color. Wash it up after that and then let it dry in a relatively dust free spot for a day. Do thin coats and apply many of them (at least 20 min in between coats). Make sure it's not too humid. Use a clear coat once your done to make it last.

ok gang...I'm going to be brave and GO FOR IT. Found a hobby shop that sells ALL SORTS OF COLORS for remote control cars - seems like good stuff. I won't expect perfection but I also won't expect to see ANY other helmet like mine B|.......thanks for the tips gang.

Big hugs...pics will follow - you can bet your butt!

bring your helmet into the hobby shop so they can see what its made out of and can maybe tell you what will stick best.

or...

call your local harley davidson store. ask them where they send people to get helmets painted. then call those folks and ask them what process they use and what kind of paint and all that. My cousin did that for his skateboard helmet, and it came out great... not sure what he did or what he used tho.

You need to get some very fine grit wet/dry sand paper and scuff it up a bit before you spray on that new color. Wash it up after that and then let it dry in a relatively dust free spot for a day.

Like he said, but don't forget to apply a primer. A good primer serves as the "glue" between the helmet material and the finish layers of paint. Good luck:)

I've had good luck with spray paint. With actual paint it can be applied and look "globby". Spray paint you can whaft the can back and forth and get a nice even layering.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

do a quick google search for some car maintainance websites. Im sure you will find some very detailed instructions on how to repaint a car (probably best to look for instructions on how to paint a glass fibre car).

Painting a helmet involves exactly the same process. The car web site will give you pictures and a step by step guide.

It's easy. Sand it down (or at least scuff up the old paint very well with wet/dry sandpaper), clean it up, and apply a spray on primer as per mfg's spec. Let dry. Mask it off as you wish (if you wish) then spray with with a quality latex paint. Put on at least a few coats, letting dry in between each (as per mfg's spec.). Spray with a gloss hardener (as per mfg's spec.) and away you go.

I've redone by Factory Diver twice. If you get a good, hard clear coat on it, it'll wear very well!...and it'll cost you all of $15.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Just remember. Cheap paint cheat results. You might also need to scuff the old paint first.
And pratice on something first before you start the helmet.

You can do it! If you screw it up you can always take it some where and get them to fix it.:)
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Well helmet is painted and it was easier then I thought....didn't realize I could take off all the trim so not to worry about "neatness" with tape...good stuff!

Someone should have REMINDED me to wear a mask though, when putting on the 5 coats....woke up with a NASTY headache this morning...

Last process....anyone have suggestions for a good adhesive to put the trim back on....it is still kinda sticky but not sure good enough to hold securely.

I'm happy so far, we'll see how snazzy it looks with everything back together.....xo, D

My dad told me when I was 16 and got my first motorcycle, not to paint my helmet, as some paints have lead in them, and if in an accident, they might like to x-ray your skull through the helmet before removing it.
Not sure if this is just rubbish, or if it still applies. Just a thought. :)

Nice to mention this NOW........but I got this partcular paint from a guy who uses it to paint helmets so I am guessing I am ok.....not sure why - just guessing ;)

Here is a sample of the unfinished product....it's drying today...then tonight I'll put all my trim back on.

It's done......no choice but to like it. Now I just need some cool new stickers to plaster all over it (first one will be my Team BadFish - gotta support my boys :)

Yeah - not bad for a girl, huh?!

I was all set up in my garage, blasting the tunes, taping and sanding - then I washed it all off and let it dry for an hour then I put on the first coat. I did 4 coats, every 30 minutes and did my name(s) FREE HAND this morning at work. Only thing I was NOT happy about is I decided to spray some clear over the blue areas ONLY and it made the side name run a little...but it almost looks cool so I might just leave it alone. Just want it to dry now so I can jump tomorrow at 12:30....