RMK

Procedures for wingsuiters in aircraft emergencies

Reading through the “scariest jump” thread, there are a couple posts on aircraft emergencies at low level.

As wingsuiters, we’re nearly always at the back of the group sitting near the pilot. What are the thoughts on emergency exits on things like should you quickly unzip leg wings or not?

After passing 1000ft on the climb, you’re sitting there w/ legs zipped, arms unzipped and helmet sitting in your lap (assume we didn’t go TonySuit and don’t have leg cutaways on suit). What would you do at 2000, 3000, 5000 or higher?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Regardless of procedures...Id prefer never to exit with a legwing or armwing not zipped up. Even on a hop and pop at low altitude, a loose armwing/legwing would add a lot of dangers.

The flapping fabric can inflate asymmetrically and both legwing flapping up and armwings flapping in front could occlude handles for main and/or cutaway/reserve.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

For me I would always want to control the fabric so if I am leaving the plane I will be zipped in always. Way back in 2003 a friend and I had gotten into wingsuiting. we both at different time left the aircraft low (around 3500 AGL ) due to clouds. I left zipped in tracked a way and pulled, no problem. My friend decided to leave unzipped, as he was pulling one of the arm wings caught some air and he ended up with the pilot chute bridal warped around his wing. He pulled the reserve and landed.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Good point on any of wing the wings inflating asymmetrically or covering handles. I was focused more on the leg wings driving you into a viscous spin at low altitude if arm wings were unzipped.

I agree with quickly zipping up the arm wings before exit.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Reading through the “scariest jump” thread, there are a couple posts on aircraft emergencies at low level.

As wingsuiters, we’re nearly always at the back of the group sitting near the pilot. What are the thoughts on emergency exits on things like should you quickly unzip leg wings or not?

After passing 1000ft on the climb, you’re sitting there w/ legs zipped, arms unzipped and helmet sitting in your lap (assume we didn’t go TonySuit and don’t have leg cutaways on suit). What would you do at 2000, 3000, 5000 or higher?

It depends. If you are really getting out as a "people are gonna die" then your priority is to get out the door. If you are near the door (wingsuit big way) then you gotta get out, you can't hold up in the door to zip up and expect people to wait..you will be pushed out and you will be unstable either way. If every second counts then don't waste it zipping anything up...get out and deal with it. If you have altitude you can zip up in the air...or if you don't have altitude just pull.

If you just need to get out in an orderly fashion then you can zip up and have yourself a nice hop and pop.

If getting out the plane unzipped is a concern then get on the plane zipped up and ready to exit!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Below is what I would do personally and feel comfortable with at my experience level. Other people may be more conservative (and/or shaking like a shitting dog when exiting below 10000ft).

Exit for all altitudes zipped up.

@5k, this really should not up for consideration here. We've built a tight 4 way diamond from ~4.5k and flown it for a good 20 secs, so 5k is not even what I would consider "low" for a WS jump.

@3k, I would fly until 2k then pull (probably 30 secs or more), dependant on spot (spot over the ground, not the Elsinore one).

@2k, it all depends whether I have an AAD, what canopy I'm flying, where the spot is among other factors. Most sensible option would be to just get out stable and pull ASAP. "Sensible" is very subjective though, plenty of WS base exits are lower than that.

you can't hold up in the door to zip up and expect people to wait

Thats why I still think its (warm as it may be) a good idea to always have the legwing zipped up when entering an airplane. Sure it may be a bit warm in some countries, but it prevents a lot of scuffling about and potential dislodging of pins and pilotchutes as well if one just has the legs done up already (plus less annoying of other jumpers in the load by pushing/moving around).

Zipping up in the air...not sure thats the best advice ever. If you have more altitude in case of an emergency, pull higher.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You are right I should have been more clear. Zipping arm wings in the air is no big deal....I can't imagine doing a leg wing but it sure sounds like a fun full altitude experiment.

Bottom line is you should get on the plane in a configuration you are prepared to got out in. Agreed for sure.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Board the plane legs zipped up. Above 1500, plane in level/controlled flight, zip up arms, exit, fly for seperation dump reserve. above 2500, same as above, except dump main.

Unstable aircraft and/or below 1500 and/or rushed exit unzipped arm wings hand on reserve handle, tuck legs into ball, exit, clear and pull.

In the event that the plane is high like 5000+ and exit rushed, exit on back, zip arm wings in freefall while on back, roll over and fly to normal altitude.

I would never want to try and find a pc handle with flapping fabric all over the place.

I dont think a leg wing cutaway is an option on any of the currently available suits.