fool

reserve sizing question

ok, just wondering... what's the biggest/best reserve that will fit into a Voodoo size V00? I'm planning on getting a new container in the near future, and want to look for a new reserve for it. It says at RI's website that it would fit a dash-m 109... would a PD113 fit into it, or is that too big?

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

A PD113 is significant;y bigger than a -M109. I'm not saying it won't fit in a V00 (as I don't know), but it is bigger. Why not get the next size bigger container so you can have the bigger (safer) reserve?

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I may... I'm in the decision making process.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

RI lists 275 as the pack volume for the V0 and V00 and 300 for the V0. They list the MR-109-M and the PD-106R for both the V0 and V00 reserve containers and the PD-113R for the V0. I agree that the 106 and 109 pack up about the same size, with the PD maybe a bit more volume. A PD-113R would be a tight fit into the V00, if it fit.

I think you are looking at the issue backwards though. Instead of thinking “How large of a reserve will this container take.” Think, “What reserve can I safely land in poor conditions”, probably up that a size, demo it that size, and then find the container that it will fit into. Decide on the canopies first, then thee container size. Small F-111 reserves are a different animal, and there are no second chances.

What is the smallest reserve you have landed?

What size main are you looking for?

Derek

well, the only reserve I have landed has been a round. Plus the times that I've jumped a round as a main too. I can't really demo much here, being a canadian and all, it's a pretty large pain in the ass to get stuff across the border, so.... I am thinking a vengeance 97 when I'm ready for it... I have the money currently (from an estate settlement) To get some gear for myself, I have decided on getting a container, probably a helmet, and 2 audibles... I figure that by the time I've saved the cash to put something inside the container, I will be ready for about a 97... that puts me at about a 1.4-1.5 WL. Should be about another 150-200 jumps before that happens I would imagine, but I figure since I have the cash now, I shoudl use it for something that I might not be able to afford later.

S.E.X. party #1

Just a thought...why not open a separate account for the money that you intend to spend later, rather than spending it now on gear you're not ready for?

You don't know what you might want (or need) when you get to the point that you're ready to buy...so why make those decisions now? Who knows, you may decide to get into CReW or some other discipline. Then what? Sell brand new gear at a de-valued price (new gear looses about 25% of it's initial value when you take receipt of it)? Seems like a waste of good money to me.

Just my opinion, but buying stuff for the future can get you into trouble...and a separate bank account is cheap!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

Actually, I'm going to use my current rig as a crew rig, so all I need for that is a main, and a square reserve for that too. I'm not good at saving money, and it's there now. I know for sure that I will continue to swoop for as long as I can, so not wanting the gear is a non-issue.

S.E.X. party #1

I'm not good at saving money, and it's there now.

Your restraint would be well rewarded, but do what you think you need to do...

If you go from a stiletto 120 to a vengeance 107 you will still get a faster more ground hungry canopy. That you can swoop. Also if you do FS you will probably use weights which increases the WL.
Stepping down two steps and to a vengeance is a pretty big step.
(I broke my ankle on my second jump on a Vn 107.)
Just a thought.

are the pack volumes for pd reserves listed anywhere? I had a website once that listed pack volumes of various canopies but I lost the link.

fool has a good head on him and researches lots, as well is a very skilled canopy pilot for his jump numbers(not everyone is a clueless newbie, but I guess we all have a little of 100 jump wonder in us).

All that being said does anyone know for sure whether the 113 will fit?

EsG
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

what's the biggest/best reserve that will fit into a Voodoo size V00?

RI lists 275 as the pack volume for the V0 and V00

PD 113R 286

There's your answer... NO.

Riggers use technical terms for describing "tight" reserve packjobs... cramming, forcing, packing fudge... (no, wait... I think that's a different reference.) The containers are test dropped by the container manufacturers. They know what will meet the deployment requirements... go with their numbers. (Or, don't be afraid to loose fingernails in the reserve container as you try to scratch the damn thing open at 500'.)

but I figure since I have the cash now, I shoudl use it for something that I might not be able to afford later.

Consider the concept of banking.

I really don't mean to be rude, but too many people are soley concerned with small, with zero consideration for function... The 7 cell 0-3cfm canopy (reserve) will not perform like the 0-p elliptical canopy in 120 sq. ft. (or as well as the same in 97 sq. ft.)

At 120 lbs, your exit weight is ~140 lbs., at 231 jumps (from your profile, I know... it hasn't been updated recently and you now have 1000 jumps), you have far more risk flying this type of canopy into the small backyard that the low deployment/bad spot left you.

You NEVER need to hurry into next year's purchase... put the money in a bank, sleep on your decision overnight.

Sincerely,

Chris

I'm not good at saving money

Consider the concept of banking.

I think the answer to that question is there as well..

he did..

... and that is why he will buy it sooner rather than later.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Thanks for the link.. I didn't know it existed actually, and it looks like a tempo 120 would be good, if I can find one, thanks a lot.

S.E.X. party #1

actually, no, I have 232 jumps presently

Hmm.. I had hoped your profile was out of date reading your posts about canopies.
I think your canopy choices are very extreme for the number of jumps you have, of course you are not wingloading the canopies all that much but still.. The canopies you want to get are all very high performance.. stick with what you are jumping for a while untill you can really fly the sh*t out of your current canopy..

Iwan