MADPROPS

what would you do?

I know of three worthwhile wingsuits for someone with less than 100 flights ... Shadow, Phantom, T-Bird. The Shadow will let you know if you prefer no grippers. The Phantom and T-Bird will let you know if you prefer Phoenix-Fly or TonySuit.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

If you could try a bunch of suits in one week and then buy one of them the next week (custom sized and the way you want it) then that would obviously be the best choice. Since that's not possible, your plan sounds like a pretty good compromise. I doubt you'll ever regret buying a P2/3, but I also doubt it will be the only wingsuit you'll ever buy. Truth be told, you'll have enough basic skills to work on for your first 100 jumps that it won't really matter what suit you're flying as long as it's suitable for a beginner.

For the most part, we have all the types of beginner suits at Elsinore. Phoenix-Fly, TS, Alien, and even an old Birdman or two hidden in the dust kitties. I think West Coast Wingsuits has a broad selection too.

[edited to say; I don't sell/deal in suits, so don't have a dog in the "buy this suit" hunt]

Always try before you buy.

sometimes you can't, sometimes you don't want to wait.

Some of the 2nd hand I bought I tried before buying.
Don't think I ever tried any of the new stuff I got before buying.

Actually the most ill-fitting piece of equipment I have was 2nd hand, tried before purchasing, but just HAD TO buy it :S
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Always try before you buy.

sometimes you can't, sometimes you don't want to wait... :S

Well, sure. But the original poster asked "what would you do?" My answer is: I wouldn't spend a big chunk of money on a new wingsuit without trying out my options (i.e., I wouldn't just order one without flying it), particularly when there are bunch of methods by which I could try out suits (e.g., loaner suits, rentals, demos, etc.). That way, I'd know it's precisely the suit I want, and I wouldn't be left wondering whether a different suit would have been more preferable. For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy a new car before trying it, either - even if my friends all said the make and model was great and all the cool kids drove it.

Isn't there an SFly and an Alien suit for those ranges as well?

There is but I don't find them currently worthwhile.

I am familiar with SFly but haven't jumped an Alien suit yet, so I am curious: what is it that you didn't find worthwhile with respect to the Alien line of suits? Was it a particular model you tried or the whole line that you think is not worthwhile?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I am familiar with SFly but haven't jumped an Alien suit yet, so I am curious: what is it that you didn't find worthwhile with respect to the Alien line of suits? Was it a particular model you tried or the whole line that you think is not worthwhile?

As far as S-Fly, I don't think they're worthwhile. As far as Alien, I don't think they're currently worthwhile because they're new (and expensive). Alien hasn't had time to refine their wingsuits or manufacturing process yet ...

PS: If this is not a concern for you then you could add their beginner wingsuit to the list.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I have not picked the place yet as a lot of thought has to go into it seeing as I will be there for 3 or 4 months but i'm pretty sure I know the wingsuit I want (p3) I already have the time off work and the money so I was thinking of ordering my wingsuit soon so it would be ready to take with me as I know they have long lead

My take: you are tall. You have the money saved for trip, stay (hopefully coaching for FJC) and a wingsuit that fits you, smells freshly and acts like the Swiss army knife. Order a P3 to start and grow with it! Go to Elsinore, DSE and fellow coaches or try the new WS school in Perris (heard of) 20 minutes away. Drive to Eloy once bored to enjoy a new scenic flight. Do your jumps with some tracking before. Rent an Intro, I-, T-bird on your journey and decide later. Selling a P3 with your measurements would be easy. Getting one short term not so much.

As far as DZs to go to, I would add ZHills in Florida as a good option.
Lots of wingsuiting going on there...and, since you'll be there awhile, also a great place just to hang out.
If I was going to live at a dz other than my home dz for 3-4 months, it'd def. be my pick.

As far as S-Fly, I don't think they're worthwhile. As far as Alien, I don't think they're currently worthwhile because they're new (and expensive). Alien hasn't had time to refine their wingsuits or manufacturing process yet ...

PS: If this is not a concern for you then you could add their beginner wingsuit to the list.

The Alien Suit I saw in November had pretty bad stitch work. Areas like trailing edge of the tail should be double needed, it was, but it was two distinct passes with a single needle and it was no where near straight and clean. Considering their price, this should not be. It was also heavy as sin.

Hey thanks for all the tips!

as I said before I am going to be doing alot of jumping on this trip and I would like to have a suit that fits me well.

please don't think that I have just picked one WS just cause I think its cool. I have spent over 24 hours reading about wing suits and how they fly. I know I have not had a chance to try any out but i'm not able to.

by the time I can try any out my trip is already going to be 3/4 over and by that time I will not get my WS in time to jump it.

I know i'm taking a risk. I also that I can resell the suit if i really don't like it.

what it comes down to for me is I know the kind of person I am. I can guess at what i'm going to like to do with my WS. If i'm wrong ill have to deal with it.

thanks for all the help most of you have said really helpful things

I get that I should really try one first I just can't. I wish there was a deal out there that was if you don't like are suit we will buy it back :-P

have any of you had a chance to fly the P2/P3 did any of you not like it ?? I'm not 100 % the P2/P3 is out in front

Again thanks for all the help
live and let live

Maybe there is a demo suit that fits you? Check with the demo centers or Robert from Phoenix Fly directly.
You might borrow the demo suit for the last few weeks of your trip and if you like it - buy it. Or you order a custom made one after that. But all in all you do have a suit to fly on your trip.

If this is not available buying one would still be an option. I never met anyone who disliked the P2 he bought.

Third version: 'WickedWingsuits' has a Winguit rental shop. As far as I know he does not have PhoenixFly suits but it could maybe still be an option to rent a Tony Suit there. (I don't know the deals he offers.)

So, demo a suit, rent a suit or just buy one. I am sure you will be happy with either of the three ways. (is "either way" correct English here?)

Enjoy your trip and don't forget: If it's not on video,... I would be happy if you shared the experience of your trip with some videos or a little blog.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.