millertime24

New personal best

I don't care WHAT your freefall time is, flying a wingsuit WITH a canopy IS a personal best. Hope I get a chance to try it one of these days, I've buzzed enough slow canopies, having one flying with me would be EPIC.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Yes actually, it does. It says that Miller enjoys flying enough to want to stay aloft longer, improve his technique until he was able to, and be happy about it when he has achieved it.

And for all you know, he could have covered 6 miles in the process. Is there some minimum distance or speed which he must cover before you would consider him to be flying? 3 miles? 5? What exactly qualifies you to judge or scorn what other birds are doing, why they are flying, and whether they have earned the right to be happy about it?

Attitudes like yours are what make some people feel rejected or judged, become disgusted and walk away from the sport. Here's a tip: If you find yourself stepping on somebody else, for whatever reason, it means your feet are pressing them down. And while you're stepping on someone else's joy, you are not flying either.

Miller, you'll see a lot of these guys in wingsuiting. Ignore them or they'll suck all the joy and fun out of it for you. Whatever you do, for the love of flight do NOT let their attitude, approval or lack thereof decide for you what your standards should be, or consider their judgment binding upon you.

Flying is not enough for them so they must invent complex technical reasons to elevate themselves above you, put you down and try to make you think you're not doing it right unless THEY say you are. YOU decide whether it was a good flight or not.

Fly for whatever reasons you want to fly, whichever way suits you best, however you feel like doing it. If you just set yourself a new best, I'm guessing you're enjoying the hell out of that new purple P2... those things are great. Every additional second you're able to stay aloft, regardless of what patronizing guys like phoenix here might think is another second in which you were living really intensely and being wicked fucking happy and THAT, is the essence of flying. Right on!
-B

You judge me after 3 sentences? Who has the pride and prejustice? Congratulations for your attitude!

Back to the topic. Inadequate tools and measurement methods leads to questionable results.

An electronic altimeter and logger is not a right tool for wing suit flying. You can fly a wing suit 1000 different ways. I can fly my wing suit about 90 km/h vertical descent. It can be coming with 105 km/h ground speed or 165 km/h ground speed. Can you tell me which one is better?

I dare to ask what was it about. Does it have any meaning or whatever...

Read your own first post back...its a statement, not a question.
Based on no reference/data at all, you state 'its floating'.

Not in any way informative or constructive in critisism..just attitude aimed at scoring a few cheap laughs over somoene elses acomplishments.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Actually I judged you after just one sentence, because thats how many sentences it took for you to come off like a total dick.

"If you consider floating as flying, then very well done!"

Which is a bit of an asshole thing to say to someone who is happy. Saying stuff like that is called "bursting someone's bubble." He was probably hoping for a little honest approval, some "return happy" from others who fly wingsuits and know how it feels to accomplish a personal best. -I- know how it feels to want that, to share what I've done and what I'm happy about with other birds.

Instead, in your first sentence you give him mocking "congratulations" and imply that what he was doing "wasn't really flying." All in just one sentence.

Lets take your approach and apply it to something else... how about an aspiring artist?
An aspiring artist shows you some of his work, hoping that it is good, and your response is "Well if you think thats art, well done!"

Thats fucking cruel. This is not how you encourage someone. This is how you crush someone's enthusiasm and make them feel like shit.

Trolling, I usually ignore. Bickering, well, thats typical too. But pointless cruelty, that I cannot allow to pass unchallenged. Is that how you want to be known to the wingsuit community? As somebody who gets off on knocking down someone else's joy? Is that how you want to represent the wingsuit community here? As a bunch of experienced birds whose first impulse is to mock the joy the newer birds get from their accomplishments? Because whether you put any thought into it or not, that is what you did. Yours was the very first response he got. A mocking one.

NOT. Cool.
-B

Lurch, I applaud your efforts, but they are wasted on this guy. He has been and always will be a person that only criticizes unless you agree with his way of thinking, because he is always right. Kinda like sangi.

Save your energy for your long flights.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Today I took my P2 on a XC flight. I got out over Hill AFB and opened just over the tower at Ogden Hinkley Airport. The altitude was 11,800' and pulled at 3k. Delay was 133 sec according to my Neptune. When I got to the ground I was flat out knackered.

Congratulations, nice job.

I'm a really old guy (well into geezerhood) and not especially strong but I don't get tired arms. I suspect you may be trying to muscle it too much.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Today I took my P2 on a XC flight. I got out over Hill AFB and opened just over the tower at Ogden Hinkley Airport. The altitude was 11,800' and pulled at 3k. Delay was 133 sec according to my Neptune. When I got to the ground I was flat out knackered.

Congratulations, nice job.

I'm a really old guy (well into geezerhood) and not especially strong but I don't get tired arms. I suspect you may be trying to muscle it too much.

That actually could be true. I really push my elbows up level with my ears as hard as I can. Maybe I'm just pushing against material more than is needed to obtain good flight position. Also, what suit do you fly? I hear the Tony Suits have the variable preassure zippers which (according to my friend who flies one) makes the suit easier to fly. I just dont know not having jumped both brands.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll give it a try this weekend.:)
Muff #5048

Not to start a brand war here, just touching on the merits of features...
The P2 is kickass for flocks, acro, and most general purpose flying.
I fly an S-Bird mostly, its the nitro dragster of my little personal fleet. And if you're specifically after megaperformance flying and you want to have different suits for different uses I recommend it highly. The variable airlocks are a huge asset to the design and make a hell of a difference actually. For most general flying I leave them open because it makes the suit easier to fly, nimbler and more manageable during deployment. But if I'm going for a max flight and I don't need the wider range of open locks I'll close em up. The suit becomes far more rigid and FAR more efficient.

With the locks open I can get 3.5 minute flights no problem but its fairly hard work. With the locks closed flights in the 3.5+ range become easy and the suit gets noticeably faster due to tight inflation evening out all the little draggy wrinkles and holding a firmer, more ideal wingshape, at the cost of a somewhat more skittery deployment because the suit resists being collapsed completely. Like any high performance gear it must be used with great care but its a very rewarding flight experience. Once you get used to what the locks are good for you can choose your custom level of pressure to suit the dive plan... I mostly just use one of three settings... open, half closed, or closed. You can also combine em... A few times I've flown with closed armlocks for power and open tail locks when I just didn't feel like dealing with the skittish tail during openings. I think the suit could also be tuned for tail heavy speed with closed tail and open armlocks but I haven't tried it yet.
-B

I think a lot of differences you describe are more build and pilot skill related. Different suits have different flying styles, and the amount of experience on each suit mostly dictates what one can do with it (on top of how your body proportions and weight relate to the suit you fly).
Flying suits with tight wings, regardless of fast, slow, floaty or speedy is a personal preference as well. Some suits (S-fly etc) are built around softer inflation, and tensing wings with the body. Others rely on the inflation more, and allow you to ease up on the arms a lot. Its nice to be able to tweak the amount of inflation, but for sure not a necessity/merit of one design or another. Just personal preference, build, and experience..

All the off-topic stuff aside...congrats on your 2 minute plus flight from 11k. Hope to see you post more amazing distances, times and flock accomplishments in the near and far future!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Agreed. Post deleted for cleanup.
Miller if you ever get the chance come fly with us at Skydive Pepperell. You'll find us a warm and welcoming bunch and we aren't into uptight attitudes, we just goof around a lot and have a lot of fun.
-B