shveddy

Upsizing question

Right, so now that I've used the search function, let me rephrase my question.

clicky

This thread from 2006 seems to more or less agree that 50 to 100 jumps on a beginner to intermediate suit is enough experience to jump any of the big suits on the market. It also agrees that you should consider what kind of flying you want to do (performance, flocking, base etc...).

So has anything changed since suits like the X-Bird, S-Bird, V3 et. al. have been introduced? A lot has changed since 2006.

To me, it seems like this represents a whole new class in terms of performance, as well as the potential for complications due to the greater size and pressurization.

But what do I know, I've never flown any of the bigger suits (thinking about getting an S-bird or similar for when I have 70 to 80 jumps; I currently have like 35 ws jumps on a phantom I).

This thread from 2006 seems to more or less agree that 50 to 100 jumps on a beginner to intermediate suit is enough experience to jump any of the big suits on the market. It also agrees that you should consider what kind of flying you want to do (performance, flocking, base etc...).

Going straight from an original Phantom to an Xbird probably would not be a great move both in terms of learning to fly a larger suit correctly and in terms of safety.

What is your want? Flocking, acrobatics, distance? What is it about your Phantom you wish was different? For example, you know the Phantom...maybe try the Phantom 2z. It's one of the most kick-ass recent-suit designs.

There aren't that many wingsuiters where I jump, those that have a wingsuit have wingsuits analagous to my phantom I. So in terms of flocking, there isn't much of a point for me to upgrade, though backvents would be nice.

Basically, I want to have a high performance wingsuit to make long (distance and time) flights around big clouds when they come out in the spring and Summer. There's a certain S-bird for sale at the moment that's within my budget.

Here's why I want it:
-long flights (as mentioned)
-Zipper rigging. This is very important since I'll often just fill a tandem load on a cessna (video, tandem pair and me) and I've switched between wingsuit and normal free fall at least three times in a day before (I know the 2z has zippers, but it's a few hundred bucks more, and it doesn't seem to have the expense justifying increase in performance of the S-bird)
-This is fairly minor, but I like the idea of the slippery sleeve thingies.

Why I wouldn't get it:
-if people think it is dangerous to make the switch

I'll keep the phantom around, and probably fly it whenever I"m flocking because I do like the feeling of having to fly it rather than hang in it, but its worth it to me to have the extra suit lying around in case of cumulonimbus (or maybe not, in which case I'll sell it for a reasonable loss and learn a valuable lesson).

Again, unless its excessively dangerous...

You say Phantom to X-bird is a bad idea, what about phantom to S-bird(I'm looking at an S-bird)?

As I understand it, a phantom and an R-bird are in a similar class, and an S-bird is the next step up. Is that right? (it's hard to tell based on the relatively non-existent tonysuits wingsuit website)

I for one, wouldn't recommend going from an original Phantom to an S-Bird either. Getting some jumps on an interim suit would be my recommendation. I'm sure some here would differ in opinion. I'm also reasonably sure that you could fumble your way around in the Sbird and probably be "OK" in a reasonably short time. Then again, here is a video of an experienced wingsuiter flying an SBird and it got away from him.

There's a certain S-bird for sale at the moment that's within my budget.

This is the worst way to choose skydiving equipment. Just because you know of one for sale that you can afford does not make it the right suit for you.

Let's face it, it could have been any high performance suit for sale in your size/budget, and you could have found a list of things you like about it.

It's not easy to do, but put aside issues of budget and your ego, and determine what suit is really right for your next suit. Figure out what is the smart and safe next step, and then figure out a way to get your hands on one. You have the distinct advanatge of already owning a good suit that you can fly with your local wingsuiters, so there's no need for you rush into anything.

Be patient and save your pennies. Sooner or later you'll find a suit that fits you and you'll have enough pennies to afford it.

put aside issues of budget and your ego, and determine what suit is really right for your next suit. Figure out what is the smart and safe next step, and then figure out a way to get your hands on one.

That's exactly what I'm doing and I don't believe ego is involved. I know that this sort of suit and the associated increase in performance is something I would like to pursue, and I also know that this is a good deal that currently fits my budget. I'm quite experienced in these two areas (my finances and my interests), however I'm honestly looking for your input on your area of expertise (high performance wingsuits and the associated risks).

Just because you know of one for sale that you can afford does not make it the right suit for you.

Very aware of this, which is why I'm trying to find out if its dangerous or not.

I think both the usual questions and the usual answers miss the point entirely. Whether a suit is high performance or not is a poor way of categorizing suits. What makes a high performance suit? Let us compare it to cars. You wouldn't put a top fuel dragster into a drift race. You also wouldn't put a drift car into a drag race. Both are considered high performance. You wouldn't send that same drift car into an off road rock crawling competition either but tube frame rock crawlers are considered high performance.

While there is a safety aspect in regards to choosing a suit, telling someone a suit would be dangerous isn't the most convincing argument in a sport like ours. If we listened to that reasoning none of us would be skydiving. If the friends you usually fly with are all flying Phantom 2's why would it be necessary to fly a V3 with them? So you can fly with bent knees the whole time? I switched from an S6 to a Ghost 2. Didn't really upsize but I have never flown better. Why? It shifted where my flying envelop was. It didn't make my flying anymore high performance just different.

I think our community should take a hint from RW. People pick their RW suits so they can fly with others more easily. They aren't out there saying oh man I want the most high performance RW suit so I can go super fast. Go for it. You will be watching everyone else as you fall away from the formation. What about the head down record. Im sure there wasn't two identically shaped suits in the whole group. They fly a suit that makes flying with others easy. Whatever that means. Less material, more material, whatever.

Now if you enjoy flying by yourself in an endless sky then by all means get the most "high performance" suit. At least you won't have to worry about going blind when you play with yourself skydiving.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters