fasted3

Flying without goggles

Ive done a few jumps without goggles.
I think a picture of one of those is still in the parachutist catalog even:P
(Not intentional, the goggles where around my neck on climbout)

Backflying its fine, belly-flying you still get 120 mph wind on your eyes.
Its do-able, but can get you into a load of eye problems if you do it too often (tearducts permanently tearing up etc).
And though you see okay-ish, I think it doesnt give the same clear view of your surroundings (and people you are flying towards).

So in general..can be done..but why....dont really see a reason..

Jumping a Gath helmet with visor is a nice compromise...

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Jumping with out eye protection by accident is an "oops, that was dumb" moment, IMO.
Intentionally flying without any eye protection is a tremendously increased risk to yourself, your eyes, and others in the air around you.

The pointy side of raindrops, ice crystals in a cloud, or an eyelash slamming into your eyeball at 120mph isn't a pretty experience and could potentially do permanent damage.

So what happens when you hit a bug on opening? Ever see a bug smeared across goggles? I have, it's ugly. Sure would not want that in an eye. Do you wear glasses/contacts? Risking losing your eyewear is a bad idea. If you've had LASIK, jumping without goggles is one of the stupidest things on the planet to do. As DSE said, ice crystals, rain drops, damage from the dryness that will result from jumping without goggles, dirt, riser hitting your face on deployment, etc.... there are a LOT of reasons for some form of protective eyewear.

If you do ever get an eye injury due to not wearing goggles, I hope you get an eye doc as blunt as me to treat it... The only 2 circumstances I call patients to their face stupid are contact lens abuse and lack of protective eyewear in appropriate situations. Stupidity is great for my wallet, not so hot for long term vision.:P

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My husband pulled at 2500, and the carnage across his face was unbelievable. I don't know what it was, only saw bits of wing and leg left, and lots of green goo all over his face. We gave up on the post-mort evaluation of the body (what little was intact of it). Left a nice bruise on his cheek too.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I hadn't thought of bugs either, and your story alone is enough to convince me not to do it again.
As for 120 mph wind in my eyes, can't see well, etc. that's what was so surprising. I think my eyes would blow out of my head on a belly jump, but in flight it was more comfortable than riding my bicycle.
Still, getting away with something doesn't make it a good idea, so unless I need to loan them to somebody again, I'll wear goggles. B|

But what do I know?

I hadn't thought of bugs either, and your story alone is enough to convince me not to do it again.
As for 120 mph wind in my eyes, can't see well, etc. that's what was so surprising. I think my eyes would blow out of my head on a belly jump, but in flight it was more comfortable than riding my bicycle.
Still, getting away with something doesn't make it a good idea, so unless I need to loan them to somebody again, I'll wear goggles. B|

Actually the "high chin" position on a belly jump has minimal wind applied to the eyes, as does the "tucked chin" position on a wingsuit flight. The air breaks off of the top of the head or the chin creating a low pressure area. Though your eyes wont be in this area for the entire jump, it's wise to wear some protection if you value your sight.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have lost goggles in freefall a couple of times. and yes i didn't just abort and pull I went ahead and turned the points that we had dirt dived. but under canopy and after landing I remember everything being hazy as if there was a light fog in the air. it took several minutes for my vision to clear up. it's not fun thinking damn have I permently damaged my vision:(

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .