elias123

Wingsuit preparation

What kind of jumps can prepare you the best if one has wingsuiting in mind for the future. I was told tracking jumps aren't necessarily a good preparation, is this true? If so, what kind of jumps are?

SKYDIVING is a good preperation....dont limit yourself to a single element.

• RW/FS teaches you stuff about levels, proximity, exits, approach and seperation.
  • Freefly teaches you a lot on flying more than one body position.
  • Tracking teaches you dealing with forward speed and levels (when done in groups), and solo it teaches you a bit on performance (which is the least important aspect when it comes to learning wingsuit flying, yet the ONLY thing most people new to the sport focus on)
  • making A LOT of jumps teaches you about body and heading control during opening, and dealing with off-heading openings etc.
  • CREW teaches you a lot of the flying strategy you need when it comes to flying a wingsuit (not backing into formations backwards or diving into them by collapsing wings, but FLYING every single thing you do, in full controll)

And that list could go on for quite a bit longer...
    So to prepare for a wingsuit....just skydive....a lot!B|

Drop by at Zwartberg during the wingsuit weekend of 21/22 Feb. and we'll show you some wingsuit stuff if you're interested and introduce you to a few nice freeflyers and RW folks who wont mind at all helping you get up to speed on those diciplines..
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

What kind of jumps can prepare you the best if one has wingsuiting in mind for the future. I was told tracking jumps aren't necessarily a good preparation, is this true? If so, what kind of jumps are?

SKYDIVING is a good preperation....dont limit yourself to a single element.

• RW/FS teaches you stuff about levels, proximity, exits, approach and seperation.
  • Freefly teaches you a lot on flying more than one body position.
  • Tracking teaches you dealing with forward speed and levels (when done in groups), and solo it teaches you a bit on performance (which is the least important aspect when it comes to learning wingsuit flying, yet the ONLY thing most people new to the sport focus on)
  • making A LOT of jumps teaches you about body and heading control during opening, and dealing with off-heading openings etc.
  • CREW teaches you a lot of the flying strategy you need when it comes to flying a wingsuit (not backing into formations backwards or diving into them by collapsing wings, but FLYING every single thing you do, in full controll)

And that list could go on for quite a bit longer...
    So to prepare for a wingsuit....just skydive....a lot!B|

Drop by at Zwartberg during the wingsuit weekend of 21/22 Feb. and we'll show you some wingsuit stuff if you're interested and introduce you to a few nice freeflyers and RW folks who wont mind at all helping you get up to speed on those disciplines..

• Thanks for your sage advice Jarno! :) That list answers alot of my questions. Would you see RW/FS and CREW as a VITAL preparation for wingsuiting? My problem is I'm very introverted due to my aspergers, wich kind of holds me back to do RW with other people. I don't really cope well with the stress of having to perform well, because say for example if you don't get a grip right, everybody else might possibly think the jump is ruined because of you. I'd hate to put myself in that position because then I would feel really bad, don't ask me why, I just know I would :) So if you don't really do RW, is it a good idea to start wingsuiting after a while (say 250-300 jumps?) Is RW really a very VITAL and NECESSARY preparation for wingsuiting?

As for the Zwartberg thing, if the weather is good I will definitely take you up on that offer. I have a lot of questions. :) Thank you!
    "In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Thanks for your sage advice Jarno! :) That list answers alot of my questions. Would you see RW/FS and CREW as a VITAL preparation for wingsuiting?

I dont think its vital, but I just think some people limit themselves (and the fun they can have within the sport as a whole) a lot by only seeing skydiving as a transitional phase towards what they really want to do (fly a wingsuit, basejump etc).
    And due to that, they often also skip a lot of steps that could teach them quite a few essential skills.

My problem is I'm very introverted due to my aspergers, wich kind of holds me back to do RW with other people. I don't really cope well with the stress of having to perform well

We have a very big group of friends who dont see skydiving as a performance/result driven thing. Having fun is the #1 goal, and if they learn something in the progress (which you always do, regardless of what kind of jump you are making) that just an added bonus.

Just give me a shout through a PM or email to [email protected] and Ill gladly introduce you to many of my wonderfull friends who love nothing more than ad-hoc formation, tracking or freefly jumps.

As for the Zwartberg thing, if the weather is good I will definitely take you up on that offer. I have a lot of questions. :) Thank you!

You're more than welcome!
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I dont think its vital, but I just think some people limit themselves (and the fun they can have within the sport as a whole) a lot by only seeing skydiving as a transitional phase towards what they really want to do (fly a wingsuit, basejump etc).
    And due to that, they often also skip a lot of steps that could teach them quite a few essential skills

I definitely don't see skydiving as a transitional phase :) It's just that I can't wait to start flying. Not an hour goes by when I'm not thinking about flying a wingsuit. I even already have a wingsuit that I bought for a very cheap price from a friend of mine! It's the discipline in skydiving that I'm the most interested in, but of course that doesn't mean I would not like the occasional tracking dive or fun jump with some friends for that matter. ;)

Just give me a shout through a PM or email to [email protected] and Ill gladly introduce you to many of my wonderfull friends who love nothing more than ad-hoc formation, tracking or freefly jumps.

That is very kind of you. When you guys are coming to a dropzone near me, I will definitely do that. Thanks again!! :)

I agree that you're advice is very good, and would have made me a better ws pilot from the beginning. I followed a different path, so will offer my thoughts as to why I did.
    I was never that interested in skydiving until I saw a wingsuit video, and from that moment I was hooked. I started skydiving at age 56 just so I could fly. At 50 jumps I was tracking on most jumps, always looking for people to track with. On solos I tried the moves I'd watched on vids at your website: barrel rolls, front and back loops, etc.
    I did some RW stuff that was fun, but preferred tracking above all else, and added a tracking suit at about 100 jumps. By 200 jumps I was pretty good at tracking and not much else, but I was flying in an Intro suit and having the time of my life. Since then I've flown in groups, some pretty good size, and although I make no claims to great skills, I haven't hurt anybody or killed myself getting to this point, and have learned a lot in almost 300 flights.
    Don't get me wrong; my advice to a younger guy would be to take your time and learn and enjoy skydiving to the max first - it WILL make you a better pilot. In some cases an individual may be driven by the wingsuit, and in those cases, I do think that tracking skills are most applicable to WS flying, and high on the list of skills to have before the first flight.
    I understand you're points about RW and FF, but I'd like to see a good bit of tracking, including flips, rolls, and group flying, no matter how many total jumps a person has.
    I'm 58 now, and hoping for many years ahead of me in the sky. Realistically, I know those years are numbered, and I don't regret getting to the WS as soon as I could. My path has been the most fun for me.
    My post is not to argue with you, just to say that there are many ways to nirvana, and while yours is the better, it isn't the only way.
    But what do I know?

Yeah, I absolutely love tracking. It's something I want to be really, really good at because I think it is one of the most important skills in skydiving. The last 20-30 jumps or so that I did were (almost) all solo tracking jumps. Some of those jumps were also made with PF tracking gear. (I know this does not make me a better tracker) I also bought a Garmin Foretex GPS, so that I can see my glide angle, pitch angle, horizontal and vertical speeds etcetera, so that I can evaluate my jumps (or at least try to evaluate them with my limited experience). I can also upload that data to the tracking derby site, so that I can actually see what trajectory I made in google earth and stuff. I think this is all very helpfull and I think the GPS I have is a very good tool to improve my skills. I think I wil also start practicing wingsuit exits from now on, pretending that I have one on and exiting the way you are supposed to with a wingsuit. And when I jump with my tracking gear I'll also start flying in the position you normally fly in using a wingsuit. Thanks for your reply :)

look likes you've caught another disease:P

really - I don't see people having such a crash on any other skydiving discipline:)
    and what is fun, wingsuiting is worth of the mania;)

just be good and I wish you lots of perfect flights in nearest future:)

really - I don't see people having such a crash on any other skydiving discipline

I think 'we' are the only dicipline that actually has people start skydiving with the goal of doing this stuff...

Freefly and RW dont get that a lot:P
    We're the cool kids....
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I think 'we' are the only dicipline that actually has people start skydiving with the goal of doing this stuff...

This is definitely the case with me. I originally started skydiving because I wanted to fly a wingsuit and basejump. Since then my I have put my basejumping ambitions to a halt, but this is absolutely not the case with wingsuiting. It is something I absolutely will and must do in my life.
    I love how you put it into words in that msnbc segment about wingsuiting that I found on your website Jarno: "People often ask, you have to be a bit crazy to fly a wingsuit. Well, you don't have to be, but it does help" ;)

Though many lists/prefered methods exists...

The only thing I really like seeing people do is jump A LOT and learn to fly your body with reference of others around you, growing your personal safety and awereness..

Focus on the experience, instead of worrying about the performance part of the skydive (which is what most people 'prepare' for)
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?