mccordia

Blade and creditcards

We've had some fun experiences here in Spain with peoples bar cards (with magnetic stripe) becoming unreadable, after spending one or two jumps in their pants/pocket (underneath their wingsuit) located under te cool 'rare earth magnets'.

These things seem to do a pretty good job at erasing anything that used magnetic particles for data storage, so be carefull where you put your DV tapes and creditcards;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

They are so rare there were none left to install in your suit until the expedition gets back from middle earth with the raw materials. And the cables too, they are so exotic that they were stuck on one of the really small and overloaded boats from cuba along with the packing tape.... uh oh I mean cuban fiber/cuban cables. Then there is the stitching...... well begezzus I really can't explain the stitching they left out unless its because Jari is busy getting the old band back together to tour. God I loved Duran duran growing up.

This is an oldie

You guys should fix that problem.

Just to clarify..

'them guys'...not 'you guys'
Im part of a team that flies under the Birdman name, but my all my gear has been payd for and aside from load organising for a DZ, I pay my own jumps. Im not a dealer, or in any way affilliated with any company in an official form, or recieving a single penny of income from that direction...

All involvement up to now have been 'for the love of the game'..as is most stuff we do in the wingsuit niche market of our skydiving community..B|

Some testing from the drinking game arena, putting your ear between two of those magnets hurts like a bitch!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just to clarify..

'them guys'...not 'you guys'
Im part of a team that flies under the Birdman name, but my all my gear has been payd for and aside from load organising for a DZ, I pay my own jumps. Im not a dealer, or in any way affilliated with any company in an official form, or recieving a single penny of income from that direction...

Oh believe me I know your team is self funded and very generous with your personal resources with no financial backing from bird-man inc, no- commish, travel expenses. Thats why you guys are my favorite first flight demonstrators......after myself.

I also realize that there is very little profit margin for any one wingsuit manufacturer, specially one that has to re-make a suit a few times for various production boo-boos. Any real money left over goes to pay for Nick Rhode's mascara. Oh yeah baby hungry like a wolf!

Oh believe me I know your team is self funded and very generous with your personal resources with no financial backing from bird-man inc, no- commish, travel expenses. Thats why you guys are my favorite first flight demonstrators......after myself.

I thought it was because of our tight 'buns'?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I am going have my rigger sew additional tabs on my booties and install snaps like my Firebird. Once I stow my leg wing the forwared airspeed from my canopy pulls the "rare earth magnets" apart. The leg wing winds up flapping between my legs, then my leg wing winds up dragging along the ground when I land.:S

cross your legwing when you stow it. put the right bootie on the left hip etc etc...

I have been doing this on My tonysuits for nearly a thousand jumps and it has never come undone. Try it.

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Ive done over 500 wingsuit jumps now, and never, not one single time stowed the legwing.
Just letting it hang and flap in the wind behind me works perfect...why put any effort into stowing it or using snaps or magnets or whatever to create a big hanging airscoop in front of your legs?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Some guys have got all that flapping material beating them up or they are distracted by it. Somebody complained of bruizing from a magnet whipping them. When I snap my stuff up I pull it up on my belly, there is no fabric scoop hanging out there.

Some guys have got all that flapping material beating them up or they are distracted by it. Somebody complained of bruizing from a magnet whipping them. When I snap my stuff up I pull it up on my belly, there is no fabric scoop hanging out there.

Must be a mighty big leg wing........:o:D:D:P
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

We've had some fun experiences here in Spain with peoples bar cards (with magnetic stripe) becoming unreadable, after spending one or two jumps in their pants/pocket (underneath their wingsuit) located under te cool 'rare earth magnets'.

These things seem to do a pretty good job at erasing anything that used magnetic particles for data storage, so be carefull where you put your DV tapes and creditcards;)

Jarno,

thanks for confirming this! I suspected as much when two of my bank cards were unusable after spending a day in the back pocket of my pants while flying my Blade. >:( Although I still don't know when they came close enough to the magnets to be erased. My guess is they would need to touch or be very close.

Maybe a magnetically shielded purse would make a nice addition to the Birdman clothing line? :S

Klaus
My Logbook

Anyone interested in buying four barely used rare earth magnets?

What's the matter, can't stand to skydive without your man purse (murse) on you at all times?:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That would suck to lose your video and PIN information on your card.
Then again, not everyone has rare earth magnets as original equipment on their Blade.:|

You can buy "rare earth" magnets (Lanthanide or Neodymium magnets would be a more accurate description) very cheaply in the office supplies department at Wal-Mart. I put some in my old Skyflyer 1.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Perhaps at your local Walmart. not ours. Nor our local Home Depot, Lowes, or Staples. Been there, done that. All the magnets at our local stores seem to be ceramic or alnico, very cheap stuff.
I've ordered a set of these.

These are the neodymium magnets our Wal Wart stocks:
www.magspec.com/index.php?pg=15&product=19

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.