Skybums

Psycho Packing the Crossfire2 ?

The only reason to spycho pack is becouse you don't know how to put it in the bag. a freind of mine insist on sphycho packing and has many mals becouse of it learn to do a proper pro pack.
David

Your buddy has had mals because he doesn't have a clue how to properly pack, obviously. It kinda frightens me that he is a rigger...and the fact that you are a rigger too, and honestly believe the psycho-pack is the cause of his mals.

I have well over 500 jumps on my own psycho-packed canopies(including Sabre, Sabre2, Stiletto, Crossfire), and not a single mal induced by psycho-packing. I did, however, have a nasty spinner on a pro-pack.....so should I blame the type of pack job? I psycho pack all the time, and have taught several others to as well....and no problems.

Mike

I agree, i have over 300 Psycho Pack´s on my old Safire, and never a problem. From time to time a funny opening, but that could also happen on a Pro Pack.

I have had one reserve ride, and that was NOT a Psycho Pack.

The reason why people Psycho Pack, is not because thay cannot get it in the bag Pro packing.

It´s beause they have seen they "light", and there is a easier way to control your canopy.

Why it´s called a Psycho Pack ? I don´t know, but it can only be because of idiots, who can not see if a canopy is twisted 180 or 360 degrees ;)

I´ll give it a try and Psycho Pack my Crossfire2 in the near future.

Thanks

Allan

Whats up with a psycho pack if you hang it on a hook for the flake? assuming one is a hooker.
How does this affect the opening?

The openings shouldn't be any different than a PRO pack and the hook. The Psycho pack is a PRO pack, the difference between the two is the bagging of the canopy, that's it.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Is it not strange that Icarus is against it (psycho packin) and Precision is for it? and I believe that Precision is building for them? I am out of the circle so let me know if I am mistakin..
take care,
space

Read.... http://www.precision.net/psycho/psycho_pack.htm ...I get the impression that manufacturers that say NOT to psycho-pack a canopy do so because either...1) They don't want to promote a method started by the president of another manufacturer...or 2) They have not tested their canopies with psycho packs, so they must say "don't do it" to limit their liability.

Mike

Hey Skybum,
How did that Xfire2 open for you when you psycho packed it?
Asking because I have packed mine both ways...
I found the either way to have nice soft openings but with the psycho packing I found off heading openings more often than when I pro packed. Also I was a little nervous being it is a lot easier to have a bag lock with a psycho pack job than with a pro packing. This would only be due to not paying attention to detail when you do the 180 flip of the canopy...
Any way talking from experience I have seen no real dilemma from using a psycho pack other than the off heading openings. Ohh and I also found that it was a lot easier to close the container when I psycho packed...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Also I was a little nervous being it is a lot easier to have a bag lock with a psycho pack job than with a pro packing

Sorry, I'm at a loss how psycho packing could cause a bag lock. Self induced line twists, sure, if you don't see the HUGE twist in your lines and rotate the d-back/canopy back around, but packing a bag lock really doesn't have anything to do with psycho packing.

Atleast in my mind, if it does, hopefully someone like RiggerRob or Hooknswoop can set me straight.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Also I was a little nervous being it is a lot easier to have a bag lock with a psycho pack job than with a pro packing.

HOW?? Explain this to me. This makes absolutely no sense. Do you stow your lines differently for a psycho pack than a pro pack? If so, you're doing something wrong. Lines come out at the center for both pack jobs. Stow the lines as you would a pro-pack.

As for the off heading openings.....are you remembering to take out the 180degree line twist you induce when you flip the bundle over? I've seen many people bag the canopy, then start stowing their lines without flipping it all back over(or flipping it the wrong way, inducing a full line twist), and then they complain about off heading openings.

Mike

Apparently, people who are more familiar with Psycho packing than I am told me to make sure I flipped the bag over after putting the canopy into the bag. Some how having a twist so close to the bag upon opening increases the chance by binding up at the first retention band thus not allowing the canopy to extract out of the bag an giving you the scenario of a bag lock...
I have not seen it nor have I had one...
As for the off heading openings I can assure you that it has something to do with the way the canopy is exposed to the air after coming out of the bag. I did a little experiment, five jumps with a psycho pack and five pro packed. Out of the pro packed jumps I had one off heading opening. Everyone of the psycho pack jobs had an off heading opening with a nice dive either left or right. No problem if your away from everyone but all the same off heading...
I have no problem with either way of packing and I am not really sure why Icarus does not recommend it except for the FX, and VX, but I do know what I have experienced with it. Hope this helps...
Oh if you do jump a FX or VX I advise strongly to psycho pack. As for the Xfire 2, what ever floats you boat, it seemed to open fine for me...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Apparently, people who are more familiar with Psycho packing than I am told me to make sure I flipped the bag over after putting the canopy into the bag. Some how having a twist so close to the bag upon opening increases the chance by binding up at the first retention band thus not allowing the canopy to extract out of the bag an giving you the scenario of a bag lock...
I have not seen it nor have I had one...

The twist is removed before making the first stow, so it has no effect. Even with the twist in the lines, it should not cause a bag lock.

I do agree that Psycho packing tends to create off headsing openings.

Derek

As for the 180 flip of the bag...
I stowed and done everything correctly when I did the psycho packing. I didn't get any line twist or spanker openings. Just a nice dive to the left or right. They were very soft openings as well.
As for the bag lock see my previous post. This was relayed to me by others who pscho pack, something about how a twist close to the first line stow can bind up the bag when it is trying to extract the bag...

I do agree that Psycho packing tends to create off headsing openings.

I must be doing something wrong then....because I get on heading openings probably 90% of the time - and those that are off heading are rarely more than 30 degrees or so. Occasionally I will get a 90, but I generally feel that's from body position or rig adjustment(one leg strap tighter than the other, thus loading one side of the canopy more than the other). As soon as my canopy sits me up, I'm watching it inflate - and it's almost always straight and inflating symetrically.

Mike

As for the 180 flip of the bag...
I stowed and done everything correctly when I did the psycho packing. I didn't get any line twist or spanker openings. Just a nice dive to the left or right. They were very soft openings as well.
As for the bag lock see my previous post. This was relayed to me by others who pscho pack, something about how a twist close to the first line stow can bind up the bag when it is trying to extract the bag...

I've packed it this way once (180 twist) and it didn't cause a bag lock, and that was with a high wing loading.