Vlad

Canopy manufacturers ! Read this, please.

I had a trouble with my new canopy : bad openings, awful landings. When I sent it to the manufacturer, they discovered that by accident, c and d lines were interchanged (that is sawn in place of each other). Company's president told me that this was the first such case in his experience (several decades). My canopy was corrected, and sent to me w/o any charge. I decided to post this, so that others can benefit from one company's mistake.
edit to add :
P.S. THe canopy was Nitron by P.A. I received an outstanding service from George Galloway, and I would buy another canopy from him without any hesitation.

Ahm, who assembled the rig with the wrong lines? If it was a rigger, i wouldn't get his service again.
AND tell him that he overlooked it.

I think if P.A. hadn't exchanged that for free, that couldn't have been called service...;)
(Not supposed to say they don't have good service!)

Glad you got out of all that well.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Most manufacturers do not sent the line trim specs out with the canopy. If you look at the line trim specs that PD recently published for the Stiletto you'll notice that the line trims are different for every canopy size. In addition, the C-D lines are finger-trapped into each other, so the 'difference' you're looking for is a matter of inches from the cascade to the canopy.

Good to hear P.A. fixed it for you!:)
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Actually it is obvious if you know what your looking for. In fact it should of been obvious during packing that the D lines were shorter than the C lines. While it shouldn't have come from the factory that way, it should have been caught no matter who assembled it.

I applaud you for wanting to assemble your own main. Many jumpers these days don't want to pack their main, let alone take a link apart. But if it's the first time you should get some advice.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Nitrons have non-cascaded lines, it would have been as simple as checking the two lines against each other to see that they were wrong. Theoretically, he could have corrected it himself also, not that I would have. Even w/ cascaded lines, the D section should still be longer than the C section.

Blues

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

[smartass]
Well, when i assembled my first main i had a rigger look over my shoulder giving me a hint or two.
As you usually lay out the canopy all the way, it should have been noticeable.
Fix your risers with some weight, then pick up the canopy by the tail and lift it (have someone help) with the lines stretched. Then you should see the lines are getting longer (or not;)) from the bottom up.
[/smartass]

This is not to insult you or be a smartass;), just to keep people away from the idea that they can do all the stuff themselves.
And if it's a brand new canopy, having a rigger take a close look can't really hurt..

Happy it went all right for you anyway!:)

And if it's a brand new canopy, having a rigger take a close look can't really hurt..

How many average jumpers know to look for at the cascades for the bartacking? Or know how to properly set their brake settings and attatch the toggles securely? Ok, those that know, how many have practice at this and can do it correctly with confidence?

Right, then definately atleast have a rigger look at the canopy and double check everything you've done.

I'm confident I know how to do those things and I know what I'm looking for when inspecting a canopy, but every time I still ask a rigger to check it out after me, since I know for a fact that I wasn't trained like that rigger was and I don't have the knowledge that rigger does.

I seem to remember a jumper almost a year ago showing up on my DZ with his slinks connected wrong. Instead of asking anyone for help, he assumed he knew how to do it right, since he'd seen it done a couple times. He didn't wrap them twice, it was only once (one big loop). We caught it after his first jump when he was packing. I'm glad that they held up on that first jump for him.:S
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Guys, I posted this to inform the manufacturers of the potential sewing mistake. My nearest rigger is in 350 miles, and I did not have the opportunity to show the canopy to him. We, the jumpers, can not catch all of the production glitches. Hell, PA has not found this failure until their test jumper flew my canopy ! Let alone an average jumper..

My nearest rigger is in 350 miles, and I did not have the opportunity to show the canopy to him.

That sheds a different light on things. Although PA should have been able to find it by hanging up the canopy, but that's all what-if s...
What do you guys do if you have a cutaway with the next rigger so far away? That's hard!:S