BlindBrick

High altitude WS jumps

We're going to have Mullins at a local boogie next weekend and he'll be offering the 23K jumps. Just wondering if there were any issues with taking a wingsuit out on one of those?

When going for horzontal speed, I have a high enough vertical descent that I'm not really worried about hypoxia, but I wasn't sure whether the thinner air could create stability or recovery issues.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Jack are you talking about the Hillbilly Boogie? I'm trying to see if I can make it down and if I do I'll bring my wingsuit.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

As Chuck said, Just tiring. I did a 3 min 56 sec from 21000ft in Eloy, and I pulled a shade high cos I really wasn't sure how much juice I'd have left in my arms. Of course, now I wish I'd hung on for another 4 secs!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

On Mullins bird,make sure you hold your mask firmly on from the time they turn the O2 on until it's time to leave the aircraft. You may need your buddy to hold your mask on your face so you can zip your arms ups. It's best to have your helmet and goggles already on when you board the aircraft as fumbling around with those items while trying to keep the seal on your mask is not worth the trouble. Make sure you keep your mask on right up until you walk out the door.

The aircraft will be going pretty fast at that altitude so its important that if there is more than 1 wingsuit, you all exit quickly ducks in a row. The easiest and fastest exit is basically a cannonball exit. The small size of Mullins door and the airspeed makes going straight out (90 degrees to the line of flight) or facing the rear/diving exit the best choice. At that airspeed any lift gained on exit could mean a horizontal stabalizer strike so keep it shut down for a good 3 seconds before opening up your wings.

As for the flight, it's pretty standard. Expect to fall faster than you're used to up at 20k due to the thinner air and to feel a bit unstable or like you are not flying initially, it feels weird the first time at that altitude. There will be a noticable difference in your flight as you hit the thicker air around 15-16K. Make sure you know where you are and where you are flying to while you still have lots of altitude. From 20 K you can fly yourself WAY off if your not careful. Several of us that did the high alti jump at WFFC were around the 5 min mark for flight time with a pull alti of 2K. Have a good flight plan and make sure it is long enough so you aren't flying in circles or over the skydivers on the load.If your arms start to bother you during the bottom end of the flight, relax them, no sense flying with your muscles flexed the whole time. You might find the pull a bit of a challenge due to your arms being in one position for close to 5 minutes but like on all flights, make sure you get your PC out into clean air. Be smart and listen to what your body tellls you, fly your body and don't let your body fly you.

Also make sure to wear snivel gear no matter how hot it is on the ground. Plan on wearing a thermal top,gloves and goggles(not glasses,especially metal frame ones)if you wear an open face helmet.Most important...have fun because it will be an awesome flight.
:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I wore a full face and did not use the oxygen system correctly and passed out on my first 23K wingsuit jump at Rantoul.

When full consciousness returned, I was flying stable around 18-19k. If you are in Mullins plane, there should be no problems it has the best O2 system. Just make sure you get a good seal between the mask and your face. You will feel the oxygen flowing.

I did a few high altitude WS jumps. Agree with Chuck, they are tiring and the only reason I'd want to go higher than 15k is to build a flock.

Kris.